IGNORED

EOTB playthrough

EricDeLee

It's cool to see that this game may see the light of day someday. Thanks for your efforts, Eric. I'm still on the fence about ever owning it, though. I had EotB for the SNES and got frustrated with the parts of the dungeon that would teleport you to a different place and spin you in a different direction. Especially when I had to figure out which part of the graph paper it landed me on, and in which direction! :lol: Seemed like a cheap gameplay element. :P The problem is, I love the Lynx and I'm a sucker for its games so I'll probably eventually fold and want to get this. :)

And for the love of all that is good and pure, what can we do to not have the Lynx community turn into the Jag community? One console associated with bad blood, bickering, and outright nastiness is more than enough for this otherwise awesome community and forum.

I had EotB for the SNES and got frustrated with the parts of the dungeon that would teleport you to a different place and spin you in a different direction. Especially when I had to figure out which part of the graph paper it landed me on, and in which direction! :lol: Seemed like a cheap gameplay element. :P The problem is, I love the Lynx and I'm a sucker for its games so I'll probably eventually fold and want to get this. :)

Never play the Bard's Tale series then. Every dungeon is like that. :)

Tempest

This game looks amazing. Why wasn't it released? It looks as if a lot of work was put in to it.

My memory is foggy, but wasn't it something to do with the cart itself? ie. Battery backup and the physical size of the game?

Yep... the battery backup is one of the major cost factors that stopped the game from being released. I believe it is the same thing regarding Relief Pitcher as well.

I had EotB for the SNES and got frustrated with the parts of the dungeon that would teleport you to a different place and spin you in a different direction. Especially when I had to figure out which part of the graph paper it landed me on, and in which direction! :lol: Seemed like a cheap gameplay element. :P The problem is, I love the Lynx and I'm a sucker for its games so I'll probably eventually fold and want to get this. :)

Never play the Bard's Tale series then. Every dungeon is like that. :)

Tempest

Now I admit, this is VERY frustrating. I didn't know what the heck was going on when I first picked up the game. During this play-through, I really started paying attention to the direction I was facing and making notes in a book of special features or places. If I did get transported and could not figure out where I was, my next goal was to find one of the 'landmarks' I had found earlier and then re-orient myself.

I never played Bards Tale. Is that a pretty good series? It looks pretty interesting from the screenshots I saw online.

Isn't Eye of the Beholder property of Wizards of the Coast? is it possible to secure the license?

i don't think securing the license is ever really going to happen.

Multiple attempts by multiple people have been made... but it hasn't worked. If it had, I'd gladly hand this over to Carl so that Songbird could produce it. I just don't see it happening though. The results of this; we will all have to settle for an unauthorized release. Kind of like all of the reproduction protos that are out there now: Centipede, AvP, Daemonsgate, etc).

ut... the game will get out there. That's what is important for the Lynx community. Hell... it is playable on the Flashcart that was released. The only issue: no battery back-up for your gameplay. You'll never make it through the entire game in one sitting. Not from what I can see.

"The results of this; we will all have to settle for an unauthorized release. Kind of like all of the reproduction protos that are out there now: Centipede, AvP, Daemonsgate, etc). "

-I could live with this, easily.

I guess until then, I'll have to settle for the SNES version when I get enough money to buy one (very much broke at the moment).

Yep... the battery backup is one of the major cost factors that stopped the game from being released. I believe it is the same thing regarding Relief Pitcher as well.

In today's world this shouldn't be a major impediment to release though... the battery backup is hardware, and compatible hardware can be designed in a much better, cheaper way now. Software is a different matter (if the hardware designed needs some software tweaks that is), but even that is not insurmountable, given the talents of some of the folks here, that I'm sure would love to see a general release of EOTB.

I'd help myself if there was something I could do, software-wise (I'm not a hardware designer unfortunately). I have some ability to hack stuff in software, and some familiarity with the Lynx too.

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

Isn't Eye of the Beholder property of Wizards of the Coast? is it possible to secure the license?

Multiple attempts by multiple people have been made... but it hasn't worked. If it had, I'd gladly hand this over to Carl so that Songbird could produce it. I just don't see it happening though. The results of this; we will all have to settle for an unauthorized release. Kind of like all of the reproduction protos that are out there now: Centipede, AvP, Daemonsgate, etc).

ut... the game will get out there. That's what is important for the Lynx community. Hell... it is playable on the Flashcart that was released. The only issue: no battery back-up for your gameplay. You'll never make it through the entire game in one sitting. Not from what I can see.

This project cant be that hard to accomplish if enough funds are acquired for everything to make a decent run, it would be nice to secure the license though if possible, i know a guy who has this prototype. Id be shocked if Carl didn't have a copy of this.

I think i'm going to be buying a Lynx very soon...

This project cant be that hard to accomplish if enough funds are acquired for everything to make a decent run, it would be nice to secure the license though if possible, i know a guy who has this prototype. Id be shocked if Carl didn't have a copy of this.

I think i'm going to be buying a Lynx very soon...

Carl has tried to get the license... and so has others. I've been rejected as well.

I think Carl has a copy of the EOTB prototype, but I'm not actually sure. It would not surprise me at all. I'd love to see pics of all of Carl's collection.

Grab a Lynx soon! Trust me! I have a feeling some stuff will be popping out of the woodworks soon! :)

The only way this game can be released is 'under the table'. There's no way WotC will give you the ok to sell it, the best you can hope for is that they turn a blind eye to it if you keep a low profile. It's a risk, but it's the only way this will ever work.

Tempest

The only way this game can be released is 'under the table'. There's no way WotC will give you the ok to sell it, the best you can hope for is that they turn a blind eye to it if you keep a low profile. It's a risk, but it's the only way this will ever work.

Tempest

100% correct. Its a shame, as I'd love to see a release done by Carl. But I completely understand his point on the whole thing and support him.

So... like I mentioned earlier, it has to be an 'unauthorized' version.

If you can believe Wikipedia, this is an interesting wrinkle:

In 2005, Hasbro bought back the digital gaming rights for their properties from Atari for $65 million.[10] In the deal, Atari's parent company acquired a 10 year exclusive deal to produce video games based on 10 key Hasbro franchises, including Dungeons & Dragons, Monopoly, Scrabble, Game of Life, Battleship, Clue, Yahtzee, Simon, Risk and Boggle. Hasbro bought back the digital rights to Transformers, My Little Pony, Tonka, Magic: The Gathering, Connect Four, Candyland and Playskool.

So if anybody COULD do it, it would be the current ATARI! (Not that I think they will, or that Hasbro will cave in and allow an authorized release, but I can dream, right? :) ).

• 2 weeks later...

In today's world this shouldn't be a major impediment to release though... the battery backup is hardware, and compatible hardware can be designed in a much better, cheaper way now. Software is a different matter (if the hardware designed needs some software tweaks that is), but even that is not insurmountable, given the talents of some of the folks here, that I'm sure would love to see a general release of EOTB.

I'd help myself if there was something I could do, software-wise (I'm not a hardware designer unfortunately). I have some ability to hack stuff in software, and some familiarity with the Lynx too.

Hardware is a problem if the piece of hardware you need is not available anymore (to a useful price that is). But in the worst case, one can just modify the read/write code to work with available hardware. Sounds easy eh?

If RP has the same problem as EOTB, will we see RP as well if the EOTB hardware problem is solved?

Hardware is a problem if the piece of hardware you need is not available anymore (to a useful price that is). But in the worst case, one can just modify the read/write code to work with available hardware. Sounds easy eh?

If RP has the same problem as EOTB, will we see RP as well if the EOTB hardware problem is solved?

Exciting things are happening. LOL

As for the RP talk. It won't happen unless someone with a name other than Chris has a copy of the game.

As for the RP talk. It won't happen unless someone with a name other than Chris has a copy of the game.

Indeed.

Its really a pity that some people do not want to share their unique share rom images ;-)

Just sitting on them like a hen on an egg for years.

Indeed.

Its really a pity that some people do not want to share their unique share rom images ;-)

Just sitting on them like a hen on an egg for years.

Sage...

You are the MAN! LOL :)

Much props!

Oh there are a few.

Tempet

I thought there was, I just could not confirm it.

I am hoping that soon... after a few new releases... those with a RP cart will step out and try to market it!

I would love to play this game if it is as cool as it is said to be. Keeping track of an entire season would be great!

Or... perhaps someone can just do a clone of Baseball Stars! That was my favorite back in the day!

Hardware can be emulated or simulated, especially with today's technology (I'm not a hardware guy myself, but I have a pretty good idea what's possible). As for software, it's not easy, but it's also not impossible. On the Atari 8-bit (a hardware platform I'm more familiar with), people have taken games and changed the entire banking scheme to load the game from different memory banks, or hacking in game save routines to save games to flashcart rather than disk (I've done several of these myself.) I assume the problem with EOTB is the EEPROM game save/load routines (??). This is probabably only one or two routines that would have to be patched/replaced, in the event that you couldn't design compatible hardware, certainly doable by some of the very talented folks around here.

Hardware can be emulated or simulated, especially with today's technology (I'm not a hardware guy myself, but I have a pretty good idea what's possible). As for software, it's not easy, but it's also not impossible. On the Atari 8-bit (a hardware platform I'm more familiar with), people have taken games and changed the entire banking scheme to load the game from different memory banks, or hacking in game save routines to save games to flashcart rather than disk (I've done several of these myself.) I assume the problem with EOTB is the EEPROM game save/load routines (??). This is probabably only one or two routines that would have to be patched/replaced, in the event that you couldn't design compatible hardware, certainly doable by some of the very talented folks around here.

I hope RP does get released in the near future. It may be a bit easier now that some things have been worked out. We just need someone with RP that is either a) willing to sell their copy to someone that wants to dive into the project or b)someone that is not afraid to jump in with their project and that would like to share with the community.

I never said that the person has to give it away for free. I'm pretty sure most of the RP owners would balk at that idea. But still... they can contribute and not lose out on all of their investment! It is possible.