IGNORED

Commodore is back in the hardware business!

What I think is that it's much too late to bring back the Commodore name. The design for the Phoenix is interesting, though... it's almost like an Amiga for the new age, complete with a CD-ROM drive replacing the floppy disc. What are the specs on that one?

Phoenix Technical Specifications: Owner Guide

CPU SUPPORT

Intel® Core™2 Duo, Intel® Core™2 Quad @ 1066MHz FSB LGA775 up to 95W. Intel® Pentium® D Processors with Hyper-Threading Technology, Intel® Celeron® D processor, support from 1.3GHz ~ 3.4GHz 800/533/400MHz System Bus. Supporting 9x, 5x & 6x series processors with EM64.

MOTHERBOARD CORE LOGIC

Intel G31 Express Chipset

MEMORY

2xDDR2 240-pin sockets, upto 4GB. Supports PC2-6400 800MHz 240 PIN DIMMs.

HDD SUPPORT

Integrated Serial ATA controller facilitates high-speed transfers at up to 3Gbps for each of the four ports. Allows easier hard drive upgrades and expansion for new SATA optical drives. 2x SATA2 ports.

VIDEO & GRAPHICS

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100. 3D enhancements enable greater flexibility and scalability and improved realism with support for Microsoft DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 2.0, OpenGL 1.4. Intel® Graphics also support the highest levels of the Windows Vista Aero experience. Stunning media, incredible visuals and new 3D capabilities. For business users, Intel validates the chipset, processor, graphics and software stack to provide a well-tested platform with support for Microsoft* Windows Vista, Windows* XP, Linux (top distributions) and OS/2 (SciTech). Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) 3.0 supports up to 289MB of Shared Video Memory; system memory is allocated where it is needed dynamically. Supports built-in Dual/Multi-Monitor windows displays using LCD monitor & DVI external display.

NETWORKING

1 Gigabit (GbE) Fast Ethernet, using Realtek RTL 8168B/8111C.

REMOVABLE HDD

Optional removable 2.5" hard disk drive.

AUDIO

Realtek High Definition Audio enables premium digital surround sound and delivers advanced features such as multiple audio streams and jack re-tasking. On-board AC'97 2.2 compliant 3D audio, SoundBlaster Pro compatible. Two built-in 2.5watt stereo speakers with three audio jacks for Audio Out, Line-in, and Microphone. Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, delivering six channels of enhanced sound quality.

I/O PORTS

4 USB 2.0 Ports with transfer rate up to 480Mbps, 2 RS-232 Serial Ports, 1 Parallel Port supporting SPP/EPP/ECP, 1 PS/2 mouse port, 1 POS or PS/2keyboard port, 1 DVI.

TOUCH PAD

Built-in Synaptic two-button touch-pad with vertical and horizontal scroll function.

OPTICAL DRIVE

One slim type Optical Drive, CDRW-DVD, or DVD+/-RW.

EXPANSION SLOTS

One PCI-e

One Mini PCI

SYSTEM BIOS

EFI

AMI Flash BIOS supports ACPI, API, DMI, Plug & Play, and security password.

Supports booting from HDD, PXE, LAN, CD-ROM, and ANY USB device.

Extensible Firmware Interface is a revolutionary standard to manage the booting process of next-generation PCs in a modular, interactive way. EFI standards allow the user to boot multiple operating systems, with a fully graphical interface and instant recognition of the peripherals. This feature requires the purchase and installation of a small, internally mounted module, supplied by others, that connects to an available motherboard USB header socket.

KEYBOARD

Full-Size Enhanced Windows keyboard, detachable keytop matrix.

LED INDICATIORS

On/Off LED, HDD, LAN Active.

HOTKEYS

WWW, Mail, Favorite, Log Off.

POWER SUPPLY

Uses 180Watt AC Adapter. Input: universal 100 ~ 240V AC, 50-60Hz. Output: 19V DC, 9.48A, Controlled by Dual Mode Power button on the keyboard. Low power sleep mode saves energy.

BIOS SECURITY

AMI BIOS System POST and BIOS setup password protection. TCG/TPM version 1.2 Support

SECURITY LOCK

Security lock slot located on the back of the system case

DIMENSIONS

18.5"W x 9.0"D x 0.5"H front, 2.5"H rear.

WEIGHT

Unit: 7.4 lbs (3.4kg), Power Adapter: 1.1lbs (0.5kg).

OPERATING ENVIRONMENT

Ambient Temperature: 0°C ~ 50°C (operating).

RELATIVE HUMIDITY

10% ~ 90% (non-condensing)

OPERATING SYSTEM COMPLIANCE

Microsoft Windows 7 (Full Aero)/ Vista/ XP/ 2000, LINUX.

AVAILABLE COLORS

Silver or Black

CERTIFICATIONS

FCC Class A, CE

MEH! Like you I really wanted to be excited about this, this was posted a while ago. It's just nowhere near as exciting as we hoped.

It's really just a re-branding of another low profile PC form a company that merely acquired the Commodore name and are attempting to pawn it off as something more special then it actually is. http://www.cybernetman.com/en/products/zero-footprint-pc/zpc-gx31.cfm

See this original thread for more info:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/160307-commodore-64-reincarnated-as-quad-core-ubuntu-box/page__fromsearch__1

I am a big Commodore fan but after the initial shock and further investigation you will see it's really not what we have been waiting for, I don't mean to rain on your parade or be a party pooper but the more I looked into it the more disenchanted I became.

Looks like they are providing compact, semi-out-of-date computers. Can't say I'm impressed, although I do like the concept of having everything built into the keyboard unit. Here's to hoping they are reasonably priced.

All in all, I think this has the potential to be a good consumer choice for those who want to use PCs on their HD televisions from the comfort of their living room couch. Maybe it would have been a better idea to ditch the Commodore name, though. :ponder:

Edited by Austin

This is a form factor called zero-footprint and it's been around fo ra while in this form (obviously from the 80's, too). One thing I would wnt is more accessible hardware on the inside-- looks nice from the page, but I'm sure if I was to get one that it would be a nightmare to work on. Never had a good experience with a small compact case like that one.

As for being semi-out of date, there's no way to keep up these days. Even to make a new system, after the parts are ordered and the thing is put together it's already yesterday's news and the next models are being sold (this can go for any computer part). I can totally forgive them this.

I like that Linux is available. Still, the base model is $475 and that's a less than bare bone kit. Here is what I looked at.

It does not include the CPU, Memory, Hard Drive, WiFi, Bluetooth or any other options.
This is a bit much to expect from people. I can get this, basically a new case (liek this one or moddable), power supply and motherboard for much less than that already, so there goes any incentive imho.

Nathan

• Like 1

Agreed with nathan. The price points are too high in my book to be something I will consider. I really like the form factor and it's definitely a unique little computer, but I'm not paying $1200 for their Phoenix Pro when I could buy a Dell or HP or something pre-made that has better specs for $250 or so less anyway, let alone building one myself for $500 less.

If it had something really unique to offer -- such as a new O/S included or something different -- it would be something I'd be interested in. That was the staying power of Commodore in the first place -- it was a "different" choice.

This is just the same friggin' PC everyone already has, just made smaller and crammed into an albeit pretty case. There's just nothing there to sell me on it. It would have been really cool if they could have updated the Amiga O/S and created something sleek, new, and different to utilize that hardware in a better way -- then I would have forked out the dough almost instantly. But as it is? Ooh, a Linuxbox or Windozebox that's small and pretty, which is cool, but not different.

I will be passing on this.

Does anyone see a Commodore logo on either of those computers? I don't. It seems pretty lame of a company to go all the way to purchase the name and then not even put it on the product.

I thought someone posted that the company that owns the Commodore name was bankrupt.

And someone else posted that the US company claiming having a right to the name hadn't actually PAID for the right to use the name.

Do a search, I think you'll find links to articles on both.

In a fitfull night of having too much beer and playing and reading sci-fi stuff I might have had a dream about a vic-20 or c64 that looked like this on the inside, except there were more glass parts and optics. Some sort of quantum computer that was 20 years ahead of its time.

Granted there is nothing about these that say vic-20 or c64.

It is a neat concept and looks like a circuit-bending project on steroids! Stuff a pc into a keyboard. Very well executed.

About the lacklustre' hardware specs. I think those are more than adequate for everyday computing and it would seem (to me) that there is a new trend in hardware..Make it smaller, quieter, less obtrusive, less heat/power, etc.. This is NOT meant to be a honk'n gamer box, nor is it meant to be a commodore-64 or vic-20 replacement.

You might want to read the PROFILE here -- http://www.commodoreusa.net/profile.html

That should help put this in perspective, they are most certainly *NOT* trying to appeal to the c64 and vic-20 of yore, not a chance!!

Commodore has ZERO - NADA - "0" - LESS THAN NOTHING - NEGATIVE ON THAT CHARLIE desire to bring back anything even REMOTELY related to the Vic-20, C=64, or Amiga 500/1000. This has nothing to do with nostalgia, or classic gaming as you know it. Do not ever expect a QuadCore VIC-II graphics coprocessor or a Super-SID-Synthesizer. In fact the onboard graphics chip will not even do sprites! Everything is generic bit mapping. It won't take external cartridges or rom packs, unless you think of a USB-keydrive as a flash'ROM' type deal. You ain't gonna run a 5 1/4 floppy on it nor are you gonna play Frantic Freddy or Summer Games on it.

It is thousands of times more powerful and capable than the '20 or '64 and far far more reliable. It can be priced high due to reliability and being marketed/assigned to do industry grunt-work like: sales terminals, data input in the medical field, image presentation, tax form input, running DEFCON simulations at NORAD, wind tunnel data acquisition for test fixtures involving missiles, powerpoint presentations in room full of stuffy suits, satellite control links on trains, time clock punch control terminal, reservation scheduling, financial asset allocation projection, landfill management. All uninspiring and non-exciting things I'm sure. If you need a computer to fit into a space with very specific and rigid size constraints you will pay 2x or 3x compared to a generic 'box' style pc. You will be smart enough to pass that cost on to your customers somehow. A space saving, pedestrian, beige-box, run-of-the-mill, workhorse Windows PC, nothing more & nothing less. You won't have to deal with failed and obscure and defunct operating systems like Intuition, Amiga O/S, Atari dos or SpartaDOS, Commodore BASIC, Apple LOGO, Fortran, CP/M. None of that. Just a great Windows-7 experience that everyone knows and understands. You don't need to join users groups to get the most from your purchase. Everything simply works and is compatible.

The marketing is purely professional:

http://www.commodoreusa.net/profile.html

http://www.cybernetman.com/index.cfm

http://www.cybernetman.com/pop/pop_9100_presentation.cfm

http://www.cybernetman.com/pop/industry_financials.cfm

http://www.cybernetman.com/pop/industry_medical.cfm

http://www.cybernetman.com/pop/industry_education.cfm

http://www.cybernetman.com/pop/industry_industrial.cfm

http://www.cybernetman.com/pop/industry_government.cfm

http://www.cybernetman.com/pop/industry_pointofsale.cfm

So there you have it.

• Like 1

Perhaps a better idea for commodore would've been, is to have built a pc around a commodore emulator (like what gateway or was it phase 5 did with the amiga in the 1990's)

Interesting that they decided to go with intel proccy's and not AMD, No comment on the intel graphics chips though

This is doomed to failure.

Proprietary closed-off system. Where ya gonna get a replacement DVD drive when that one fails? How well can that little case dissipate heat from a 3GHz processor, and whatver 3D card is in there?

To say nothing of the fact that the same system was/is sold by someone else (as pointed out in the other thread above).

It's kind of sad to see the historic name that once stood for innovation to be tacked on generic PC products. If they could compete with the likes of DELL on **Standard** PCs then it wouldn't be so bad to see the Commodore or Atari names on them. Back in it's day, the Atari PC5 seemed (spec-wise) like a pretty good AT-clone.

Now they're just trying to cash in on idiots blinded by nostalgia. :(

Edited by wood_jl

Perhaps a better idea for commodore would've been, is to have built a pc around a commodore emulator (like what gateway or was it phase 5 did with the amiga in the 1990's)

Interesting that they decided to go with intel proccy's and not AMD, No comment on the intel graphics chips though

intel graphics are industry standard, commanding over 56% of the market, the other 44% is up for grabs.

Intel is *THE* standard for business, both in graphics and microprocessors. The sales figures do not lie. Hard to believe, yes, the graphics standard! But true it is..

The last thing a company wants to do is have feelings of uncertainty in a productivity tool. Let alone mess around a hot and heavy graphics processing unit. Sure, for a few select applications you need a gpu, but otherwise, the established standard is integrated graphics.

Edited by Keatah

This is doomed to failure.

Proprietary closed-off system. Where ya gonna get a replacement DVD drive when that one fails? How well can that little case dissipate heat from a 3GHz processor, and whatver 3D card is in there?

To say nothing of the fact that the same system was/is sold by someone else (as pointed out in the other thread above).

It's kind of sad to see the historic name that once stood for innovation to be tacked on generic PC products. If they could compete with the likes of DELL on **Standard** PCs then it wouldn't be so bad to see the Commodore or Atari names on them. Back in it's day, the Atari PC5 seemed (spec-wise) like a pretty good AT-clone.

Now they're just trying to cash in on idiots blinded by nostalgia. :(

This is not doomed to failure, if anything it will be supplanted by the traditional keyboard, mouse, monitor, beige-box topology of the quintessential PC. This is simply a space saving design that happens to look like an amiga 500 or vic-20. How else would you put a pc in a keyboard and make it look nice?

The cd rom is one of the notebook-type cd-roms, nothing proprietary about it. I even think *my* old laptop has the same one! A dime-a-dozen I'm certain. They are using a heatsink and two fans that exhaust air right out the back. No issues there. The graphics chip is integrated into the northbridge chip. Been that way for years now.. No fans needed, a small heatspreader, sure..

They are most definitely NOT using the nostalgia factor in any ways shape or form(!) I see no advertising references to an amiga or vic-20.. How and why do you say that? Please explain.

Edited by Keatah

You mean the web-it?

webit.gif

HAHAHAHA!! That's just plain wrong, a web-it C=64!! Looks and feels to me like a product looking for a market and a reason to be. Very typical of technology. Make something and hope it catches on, with little direction or care about the real-life usability of the product. Come to think of it, that is common of everything, but seems to be the worst in technology stuff.

They are most definitely NOT using the nostalgia factor in any ways shape or form(!) I see no advertising references to an amiga or vic-20.. How and why do you say that? Please explain.

The opening page, Big Commodore Banner, 30 MILLION SOLD THEN, slide show showing C64 fades into the system they are selling, LET's START COUNTING AGAIN, introducing the Commodore PHOENIX (Implying it is the reborn C64) and the introducing the Commodore "AMIGO" UHM.....how are they NOT using Nostalgia? Or are you being sarcastic?

• Like 2

The opening page, Big Commodore Banner, 30 MILLION SOLD THEN, slide show showing C64 fades into the system they are selling, LET's START COUNTING AGAIN, introducing the Commodore PHOENIX (Implying it is the reborn C64) and the introducing the Commodore "AMIGO" UHM.....how are they NOT using Nostalgia? Or are you being sarcastic?

no sarcasm. No. They are perhaps trying to make the name once again become associated with computers. They are not implying that the new computers are to be similar to the old ones. The name phoenix implies the 'commodore' name is reborn, and not the computer. As it is *CLEARLY* a PC and not a c=64.

no sarcasm. No. They are perhaps trying to make the name once again become associated with computers. They are not implying that the new computers are to be similar to the old ones. The name phoenix implies the 'commodore' name is reborn, and not the computer. As it is *CLEARLY* a PC and not a c=64.

I see what you are saying, obviously these are PC's, what I am saying is they are using nostalgia because they are hoping people who loved the original Commodore and their product line will be interested in these products, if not then why use the Commodore name, logo, and pictures? They are hoping the name they acquired will help them push an already existing product line based on the name alone, that is how I see it, perhaps you do not perceive or interpret it that way but it seems clear to me.

• Like 3

I wonder whatever happened to Protecto Enterprises? Hey, maybe this IS Protecto!

The only difference is that this deal adds name-recongnition to the crappy product...which probably explains the relatively higher price vs. the relatively lower price Protecto was known for.

How is this not just a laptop without a screen?

• Like 1

I wonder whatever happened to Protecto Enterprises? Hey, maybe this IS Protecto!

The only difference is that this deal adds name-recongnition to the crappy product...which probably explains the relatively higher price vs. the relatively lower price Protecto was known for.

How is this not just a laptop without a screen?

It *is* a laptop without a screen, what with the level of integrated peripherals and everything.

Intel is *THE* standard for business, both in graphics and microprocessors. The sales figures do not lie. Hard to believe, yes, the graphics standard!

Sure, but it's notoriously bad for games. If that company decides to bring out that PC under the "Commodore" label, they seem to be targeting it at gamers, because, yeah you know. So that's why I can't understand why they have a Intel graphics chip.

But of course, the reason is, they didn't design or put together that system at all. As others in this forum already pointed out, that same unit had been around for years, it's only now that someone thought about slapping the Commodore label on the surplus and cash-in some money that way... or something like that.

Edited by Herbarius

Regardless of the name it's being sold under, it is not targeted toward gamers. At all. They don't say it. And with all the newbies in the computer field these days, The Commodore name isn't associated with gaming anymore. The Commodore name, to 99% of the population means business, if it is even known at all!!

The folks here at atariage are the among the few that know the likes of gaming on the old commodore-64.

And you can be certain this is not targeted at us at all!