IGNORED

Best Doom engine

Yeah, I liked Substation, and may try someday again.

Running also works fine.

I just asked if someone tried to set up pmdoom (for example - as it looks the most complete port) to run it fine on "un-boosted" machine.

Thanks anyway! :)

• 3 years later...

Not sure if you're still interested in a Doom

Hi!

Pardon my ignorance (if any), but could someone point me to some Doom engine, so I can shoote'm a bit without watching a slideshow. icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

P.S. Have only 14M of RAM, no accelerators nor FPUs.

Not sure if you're still interested in a Doom engine, but BadMooD has been released for the Falcon now.

It's an alpha release, v02 was out the other night.

It's fully playable Doom and runs at a decent frame rate, quite an achievement for a 14MB unaccelerated Falcon.

See the official site for more info and a download link: http://devilsdoorbell.com

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

68882 support was implemented some time ago, but the main benefit of the chip is precision - not speed - So the DSP outperforms it for all the jobs which are needed for that engine.

It is still used for the internal profiler which is used to assist with optimizing the engine, but no longer used by the engine itself. Keeping it in the engine just prevents it from running on a Falcon without 68882 (and making it switchable offers no benefit).

(FPU will likely be needed for my next project, which is different in nature from Doom - which was always designed for a 16/32 integer machine)

• Like 2

68882 support was implemented some time ago, but the main benefit of the chip is precision - not speed - So the DSP outperforms it for all the jobs which are needed for that engine.

It is still used for the internal profiler which is used to assist with optimizing the engine, but no longer used by the engine itself. Keeping it in the engine just prevents it from running on a Falcon without 68882 (and making it switchable offers no benefit).

(FPU will likely be needed for my next project, which is different in nature from Doom - which was always designed for a 16/32 integer machine)

Understood. I just like to see 68882 support whenever possible since at this point it's a $20 upgrade and if it can help in any way lighten the load off the CPU or DSP, then by all means. :)

Understood. I just like to see 68882 support whenever possible since at this point it's a $20 upgrade and if it can help in any way lighten the load off the CPU or DSP, then by all means. :)

I have identified use cases for the chip in realtime 3D which can't be handled easily by the CPU or DSP, and will be making extensive use of it soon.

It's pretty useless to try to accelerate simple 3D math using FPU but it does have its place for more subtle cases. Just hasn't been exploited much yet on Ataris - not to my knowledge.

• Like 2

I have identified use cases for the chip in realtime 3D which can't be handled easily by the CPU or DSP, and will be making extensive use of it soon.

It's pretty useless to try to accelerate simple 3D math using FPU but it does have its place for more subtle cases. Just hasn't been exploited much yet on Ataris - not to my knowledge.

Ain't that the truth! And the same goes for the 68881 before it too! Quite the shame since the PC market always made use of their FPUs long prior to the merging of CPU and FPU with the Pentium [or the 68040 on the Motorola side of things].

I'm actually surprised Atari Inc didn't create an FPU for their 8-Bit computers; they made practically everything else!

Edited by Lynxpro