IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC Rules

The following are the rules to commence with season 3, building upon Deteacher's framework:

Game Requests

Each week, a game will be chosen from a list of games suggested by AA members. Suggestions can be posted by anyone at anytime to the Arcade/MAME HSC Game Requests Thread. Requests will be added to the respective player's request queue in thread post #1.

The forum moderator will then try to rotate amongst the player requests so everyone gets an opportunity to play their favorite games. The requests in the queue will be crossed out as they are played as a means of tracking the rotation of requests.

Player's tournament nominations that are not selected to be played will automatically be added to the respective player queue.

Games that have received multiple tournament nominations that are not selected are dumped into the Holiday Season Tournament queue for the first half of the season and then the Flag Day Craptacular for the second half of the season.

If no suggestions are submitted, the forum leader shall pick a game for the week.

Games of the Week

The forum leader will create a topic in this subforum for each week's game.

Games will typically run for 1 week. The forum leader may delay the start or extend the week based on their schedule.

At the end of each week, the thread will be locked.

Game Play

Games can be played on actual arcade machines or via emulators. No console compilation CDs/cartridges, P-N-P joysticks that contain these games et al will be accepted.

Absolutely NO CONTINUES.

Game settings (i.e. Dip Switches) to be used will be documented in the first post of the respective game's thread. The forum leader is encouraged, but not required, to keep the game settings inline with Twin Galaxies' settings for a respective game. Those settings can be found by searching the Twin Galaxies scoreboard.

Once you have a score, post it in the topic for the week's game. Pictures/screenshots of your score are not required, but are always welcome. If nothing else, it gives you a chance to show off your machine, or your achievment!

Please, do not cheat! Do not use the cheat abilities of the games (i.e. using the speed cheat in Pac Man, unlimited lives, "God Mode", etc.) There are no prizes for winning, other than the points awarded (and bragging rights, of course) so please don't ruin this for everyone else.

Please, do not abuse bugs/glitches in the games! Many games have loopholes that allow you score tons of points with little or no chance of losing a life.

Point Distribution

The point system is designed to reward players for top scores and as an incentive to push the scores higher.

Points will be awarded as follows:

1st = 20 pts

2nd = 15 pts

3rd = 12 pts

4th = 10 pts

5th = 8 pts

6th = 6 pts

7th = 5 pts

8th = 4 pts

9th = 3 pts

10th = 2 pts

11th and lower = 1 participation point

Point Distribution for Tied Scores

Example of final scores with tied scores:

Space Invaders

1. 5000 playerA

1. 5000 playerB

3. 4000 playerC

3. 4000 playerD

5. 2000 playerE

5. 2000 playerF

playerA and playerB each receive 18 points {[1st place point value (20) + 2nd place point value (15)]/2 = 17.5 rounded up to 18}

playerC and playerD receive 11 points {[3rd place value (12) + 4th place value (10)]/2 = 11}

playerE and playerF each receive 7 points {[5th place value ( 8 ) + 6th place value (6)]/2 = 7}

Of course, if there is a tie score for second place only, then the point distribution would be (15 + 12)/2=13.5 rounded up to 14 points

Up to date season standings will be posted in the following week's thread.

HSC Season

The season will begin with a doubleheader selected by the previous season's champion. If that player is no longer participating in the AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC, then selections will be requested by the previous season's runner-up and subsequently from highest to lowest in the previous season's final standings. Any titles in the Arcade/MAME universe can be selected.

The forum leader, at their discretion, may add a second concurrent title for an HSC week. The doubleheader weeks should be limited to once per calendar month and on non-tourney weeks.

The season will commence on Sunday, August 8, 2010 and conclude Sunday, July 24, 2011 <? Whatever 50 weeks is>

Tournaments may contain up to (but not limited to) 12 games and are voted on by the members or selected by the forum leader. Tournament start and end dates will be determined by the members and the forum leader. Point allocations will be the same per game as a normal HSC weekly game. Tournaments augment, not replace, the weekly HSC.

Tournaments

The following tournaments will be played throughout season 3:

Labor Day Tourney

Year: 1980

Halloween Tourney

Theme: BUGS!

Turkey Tourney

Manufacturer's Challenge: Atari

Holiday Season Tourney

Games nominated but not played in the Labor Day, Halloween and Turkey Tourneys. Additional "crap" titles or game hacks will be added to flesh out the tournament.

Presidents Day Tourney

One game selected from each year beginning 1986 and ending 1995 for a 10 game tournament.

Easter Weekend Tourney

Pool of games from Funspot XII

Memorial Day Tourney

Pool of games from CAGDC 2010

Flag Day Craptacular

Games will be selected by the current season leader and previous tourney winners from the pool of games that were not selected to be in the Presidents Day, Easter Weekend and Memorial Day Tourneys. Additional "crap" titles or game hacks will be added to flesh out the tournament.

Independence Day Tourney

One game selected from each year beginning 1976 and ending 1985 for a 10 game tournament.

The "Do Not Play" List

Games must be available on both the MAME and Arcade platform. Additionally, there have been games with other issues (such as no score in Jurassic Park or games that just do not work) or content not suitable for all players.

This list will be updated on an as needed basis.

Arcade Only

Computer Space

Death Race

Donkey Kong II: Jumpman Returns

Monaco GP

Graphic Violence

Chiller

Non-working MAME ROMs

Daytona USA

Other

Misfit MAME ROMs

Hyper Sports (controller)

Track & Field (controller)

Scoring Issues

Any two-player only games or games that end at a predetermined score

Jurassic Park

Super Speed Race

Feel free to suggest amendments or rule changes to this thread.

Edited by rmaerz

• 2 months later...

The 2 tourney's i'd like to see are 1986 - 1995 and 1996 - 2005.

But i can't find any games to play on MAME that were released after 2002.

I downloaded Samurai Shodown V, Cosmic Smash, World Combat, and Wing Shooting Championship from CoolRom.com

but when i audit all games their not even listed. I don't know if i need the parent ROM or what.

I don't even see these games listed at RomNation.net

I started a thread in Arcade Coin Ops about good playable games on MAME in the 2000's but didn't get no help. :(

• 2 months later...

Hey folks:

There is a slim chance that there will be tied scores in the HSC but we should consider amending the rules for point distribution sooner than later (if it happens).

Consider the following worst case scenario:

Space Invaders

1. 5000 playerA

1. 5000 playerB

3. 4000 playerC

3. 4000 playerD

5. 2000 playerE

5. 2000 playerF

I am proposing the following point distribution in this scenario:

•  
  • playerA and playerB each receive 18 points {[1st place point value (20) + 2nd place point value (15)]/2 = 17.5 rounded up to 18}
  • playerC and playerD receive 11 points {[3rd place value (12) + 4th place value (10)]/2 = 11}
  • playerE and playerF each receive 7 points {[5th place value ( 8 ) + 6th place value (6)]/2 = 7}

Of course, if there is a tie score for second place only, then the point distribution would be (15 + 12)/2=13.5 rounded up to 14 points

Let me know your thoughts in this regard.

Edited by rmaerz

• 1 month later...

Memorial Day Tourney suggestion.

Take the games, or let say 10 games, that will be played during the FunSpot XIII tournament.

If you participate at the actual tourney, such as me, you can use your scores for this tourney also.

Click on the link below to see what games were played last years.

FunSpot 12 Tourney

Then click on the tournament name in the list.

What do you guys think?

Take the games, or let say 10 games, that will be played during the FunSpot XIII tournament.

If you participate at the actual tourney, such as me, you can use your scores for this tourney also.

FunSpot 12 Tourney

What do you guys think?

You won't find out what the games are in Funspot XIII until you show up so that won't work.

What we can do is a player vote on whether to select games from Funspot XII or CAGDC 2010 or 2011. Then each player nominate 10 games from that pool to play for the Memorial Weekend Tourney.

So, I'll pencil that in for the MWT.

Question:

Should bonus points be awarded for breaking either an AtariAge or Twin Galaxies record and if so how many points? If yes, this would be a change for the season 4 point system.

I would like that.

for example 5 points for an AtariAge record and 10 for a Twin Galaxies.

But for the TwinGalaxies, there should be a minimum of at lease 5 entries already listed in case we come across a title nobody submitted a score.

Maybe extra points if the Arcade record is broken!

FunSpot 12 Tourney

What do you guys think?

You won't find out what the games are in Funspot XIII until you show up so that won't work.

What we can do is a player vote on whether to select games from Funspot XII or CAGDC 2010 or 2011. Then each player nominate 10 games from that pool to play for the Memorial Weekend Tourney.

The games will probably be listed on the Aurcade on the Thursday morning, it was last year.

So the contest could start on the same day if we take all the titles or on the Saturday if we have to vote for 10 titles.

I know that it might be complicated to manage on your side, especially if you are at Funspot that day!

Edit: But I also like your idea of taking games from the last two years, there were some pretty good titles in both.

Edited by patbb

FunSpot 12 Tourney

What do you guys think?

The games will probably be listed on the Aurcade on the Thursday morning, it was last year.

So the contest could start on the same day if we take all the titles or on the Saturday if we have to vote for 10 titles.

I know that it might be complicated to manage on your side, especially if you are at Funspot that day!

Edit: But I also like your idea of taking games from the last two years, there were some pretty good titles in both.

Funspot is after Memorial Day and we start the Wednesday before so that won't work.

Question:

Should bonus points be awarded for breaking either an AtariAge or Twin Galaxies record and if so how many points? If yes, this would be a change for the season 4 point system.

I would like that.

for example 5 points for an AtariAge record and 10 for a Twin Galaxies.

But for the TwinGalaxies, there should be a minimum of at lease 5 entries already listed in case we come across a title nobody submitted a score.

Maybe extra points if the Arcade record is broken!

I wouldn't want to give out as much as 10 bonus points. More often than not when records are broken only one person surpasses the record (Zookeeper comes to mind as an exception). Having said that, with only one person breaking a record they could possibly score 30 points for a given HSC week which is twice as many points as the player finishing second. The result over time would be a huge spread in the overall season point standings especially for players who demonstrate an extraordinary skillset across multiple genres.

For games or variants that are repeat plays in the HSC, I no longer document the Twin Galaxies WR. So, if bonus points are awarded, I prefer that it be based on what is reported in the game info section. I don't want to keep track of what Twin Galaxies logs as the #1 score along with what is reported in the AA Scoreboard.

Also, I would prefer to not discriminate against games (like Beezer) that have only inaugural scores recorded. It adds more overhead in managing the HSC.

I would propose 1 bonus point awarded to all players (no matter what they're standing at the end of an HSC week or tourney for the respective game) that surpass whatever is reported as the WR in the game information (AtariAge or Twin Galaxies). The spread in the point system already rewards players for finishing first and second and for those that are active participants in the HSC.

So, that's my opinion on the actual distribution of these bonus points. But, obviously the decision will be based on player consensus. What we could do is have a poll in the two week break before next season to see what the players would like to do.

• 2 months later...