IGNORED

rear PCB board inside Atari SF 314/354 external floppy drive

i need the small PCB board with the floppy ports/power switch on inside the external Atari branded SF 314 or 354 floppy drive

i'm only after the type with the standard 34 pin floppy ribbon cable connection

if anyone has one please let me know

will pay costs

Try:

www.myatari.com

or

www.best-electronics-ca.com

Curt

i need the small PCB board with the floppy ports/power switch on inside the external Atari branded SF 314 or 354 floppy drive

i'm only after the type with the standard 34 pin floppy ribbon cable connection

if anyone has one please let me know

will pay costs

Thats the weird bizarre type that wont work with a regular floppy. I wonder if it can be modded??

yes it can be modded as i've just this very minute finsihed it! gonna fit the nice new drive tomorrow

well pleased :cool:

basically all you need to do it connect the correct wires from the old single plug to the 34 pin normal floppy type plug, i used an old atari ribbon floppy cable from a dead motherboard and connected the strands to the wires, or i guess you could connect the strands direct to the small PCB

also and don't forget this! you need to swap the 12v and 5v wires for the floppy drive power plug on the PCB as they are in the opposite way for the original drive! in fact the plug won't fit a new drive so what i did was again from an old ST motherboard i took the floppy drive power cable and connected the 12v pin to the blue wire and 5v to red wire and the 2 x black wires to GND

that's it!

obviously the new drive needs to be set to DS 0 as if it was going into and ST and the (new) grey ribbon cable needs the notch facing downwards

then it will work again....

Edited by Chandler

Thats the weird bizarre type that wont work with a regular floppy. I wonder if it can be modded??

Yes. just wire the appropriate lines to a standard floppy connector and good to go. I have the wiring diagram around here somewhere.

• 1 month later...

yes it can be modded as i've just this very minute finsihed it! gonna fit the nice new drive tomorrow

well pleased :cool:

basically all you need to do it connect the correct wires from the old single plug to the 34 pin normal floppy type plug, i used an old atari ribbon floppy cable from a dead motherboard and connected the strands to the wires, or i guess you could connect the strands direct to the small PCB

also and don't forget this! you need to swap the 12v and 5v wires for the floppy drive power plug on the PCB as they are in the opposite way for the original drive! in fact the plug won't fit a new drive so what i did was again from an old ST motherboard i took the floppy drive power cable and connected the 12v pin to the blue wire and 5v to red wire and the 2 x black wires to GND

that's it!

obviously the new drive needs to be set to DS 0 as if it was going into and ST and the (new) grey ribbon cable needs the notch facing downwards

then it will work again....

So, you are saying, that you dont need the external floppy board anymore?

Can you show some pictures of how you did it?

thanks again