IGNORED

I will be reviewing a prototype of the ColecoVision Ultimate SD Cartridge!

First, if your wondering "Huh? Why the heck is HE reviewing it?" don't worry I am not offended as I just found out last night and am pretty shocked myself lol! That said, there is some reasoning behind it, if you check out the the ATARIMAX website and go to the USB 128in1 Colecovision Multi Cart page, a little more than half way down the page you will a product reviews section and dead center "MaximumRD Video Review parts #1 & 2".

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

I had done that review back on April 28, 2009 merely for my love of Colecovision and because I was so pleased and happy with the original USB Multi-cart. I was not even aware that Mr. Tucker had posted that review, I had sent him the link as a thank you from a very happy customer and though I had done it purely to share the news of this wonderful product with my Youtube subscribers. I was surprised when to see he had posted it but needless to say I was very happy. Last night I received an Email that basically said:

Hi Rob,

Thanks again for your great review of the 128-in-1 for the

ColecoVision. Would you be interested in reviewing a prototype

version of the Colecovision cartridge described here:

Thanks! :-)

Steve

A couple Emails were exchanged pretty much immediately after and it is a done deal. Steve will be shipping the prototype version out to me soon.

Now of course having been given this opportunity by the man himself I want this to be as beneficial to both of us as possible. For me of course it is a cool insight into this upcoming release for my Youtube subscribers as well of course I plan to post the review and all related info in my personal favorite gaming forums (AtariAge/Digital Press/Armchair Arcade etc) as well as others and of course I would be happy and grateful should any of you just happen to mention it around, post the link, spread the news.

Most importantly in return I WANT YOU to post in here and ask me whatever is on your mind regarding this item.

For the record I plan a simple yet detailed no nonsense look at this item. I want to make the most out of this for both me, Steve and all my viewers so your feedback, questions and comments are welcomed and encouraged.

I will follow up here and elsewhere, I have not even received the item yet and I am already planning out everything so that I can do the best job I am capable of, I do not want to disappoint anyone so please get your questions in now. THANKS!

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

I'm still watching your reviews since the first ones you did on Youtube, and this is really exciting news. Well, I may want to know what kind of SD card, how big in size, what is the limit, price, differences (disadvantage/advantages) compared to the usb cartridge and your personnal feeling (opinion) about it and if you think it's more for gamers than programmers. The first advance I see is not having to install a special driver since it's sd card based, right? there is just like a way to copy rom files with a usb card reader and that's pretty much it, right? Well, show us everything about it, do not answer in text here, I want all the clarifications in your future video. Thanks in advance!

Daniel

only works with standard games, ie not super games?

Price?

release date?

limited supply?

how dod we make sure we get one?

can you use and access folders on the card?

any of the original release games not compatible

does it work in an adam or a telegames personal arcade?

only works with standard games, ie not super games?

Price?

release date?

limited supply?

how dod we make sure we get one?

can you use and access folders on the card?

any of the original release games not compatible

does it work in an adam or a telegames personal arcade?

The Colecovision Ultimate SD cartridge works with any Colecovision rom image up to 512K in size (512K per bank, if a programmer uses hybrid bank switching with multiply reads and writes then the game in theory could be as big as the SD flash card. 32GB games would be neat) . It well not work with any Coleco Adam Supergames or Adam games yet. Technically it would be possible for a very skillful computer programmer in theory to convert the Adam games and Supergames over to a 256K rom image that would be compatible with the Ultimate SD cartridge. Currently it is unkwown if anyone well spend the time in doing the ADAM supergame conversions.

Atarimax currently has not scheduled a release date and they have not officially released pricing info to the public for the new cartridge. It sounds like Atarimax might begin taking pre-orders in a few weeks and then at that time they will release more detailed information to the public. It is my understanding that the Ultimate SD cartridge might be a limited run but if it is popular enough it would become a regular product. One also needs to understand this SD cartridge costs more money to produce since it is a higher end Colecovision product. The SD cartridge should be 100% compatible with all 32K rom images, 128K megacart rom images, and any future 256K and 512K rom images (if game developers start making larger games or new supergames). The SD cartridge works in a Colecovision, Adam, and telegames personal arcade.

If there is any problems with the SD cartridge firwmare/software then all Atarimax needs to do is post a firmware update on the web and consumers just download the latest firmware update directly to a SD card. Then install the SD card directly in the cartridge and the cartridge will be updated. Being able to completley update the operating system in the cartridge with a firmware update is amazing.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The officially name for the cartridge most likely will be called "Colecovision Ultimate SD Cartridge". Since a 32GB or larger SD HC card can be plugged into the cartridge it will have over 16,000 times storage capacity compared to the Coleco Adam computer Supergame module and Coleco's unreleased Supergame module.

The product could become a Colecovision SD Wafer cartridge that plays new Supergames if game developers decide to release new Supergames on SD wafers for the cartridge. It would be amazing to have powerful new games that were 32GB in size. It is unthinkable the quality of 512KB RAM could do for the Colecovision with a 32GB SD HC card that has a game that is super huge in size. Even if new games only used 512KB of space the games could be a lot better quality then even the Coleco Adam Supergames.

In reality I would be surprised to see someone spend the time to make a 32GB size game for the Colecovision. Perhaps a 512KB game or larger is more realistic. The Colecovision game market is currently small unless some company starts mass producing new Colecovision II game consoles or people start using an emulator on the PC to play new Colecovision games.

If game developers start making new games for the Colecovision they could release the games on a low cost SD wafer card. Then people could play the SD Colecovision games on any Mac, Linux, or PC that contained a Colecovision emulator (emulator would need reprogrammed to handle SD wafer cards that were designed for the Colecovision Ultimate SD cartridge). Then if the consumer owns a Colecovision Ultimate SD Cartridge they can play the game on a real Colecovision.

Adam computer developers could take advantage of the new cartridge

1. With new software or patches to existing software the SD cartridge in theory could become a big virtual storage drive for the ADAM computer. Kind of like a 32GB hard drive with the speed of a memory expander or ram disk.

2. It might even be possible for programmers to turn the cartridge into a disk drive that operates over ADAM NET. Perhaps the ADAM operating system would need to be modified.

Current uses for the Colecovision Ultimate SD cartridge

In reality it is unknown how many individuals and companies will spend the time and money to make new powerful Colecovision games or ADAM computer applications for the new SD cartridge. It sometimes takes several months and years to design good quality games and Adam computer programs.

Until new exclusive games are made for the Colecovision Ultimate SD cartridge here are some of the advantages to the product for people that want to just play videogames that are available now.

1. Any computer with any operating system with a SD slot can copy and paste Colecovision ROM images to a SD card and then insert the SD card into the cartridge.

2. 100% Compatible with all Colecovision ROM images including the existing 128KB Mega-Cart's.

3. Every single Colecovision game every made can be backed up to one SD card.

4. Save wear and tear on the cartridge slot since one never has to unplug the cartridge from the Colecovision or ADAM anymore.

Hopefully in the future some or all of the cartridges power will be used to create new Supergames and Adam computer applications. Just think of the power an Adam computer application could have with a program that is 32GB in size. If someone designed a new graphics card and network card for the Adam the Adam could surf the World Wide Web with a new graphics based web browser program.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 1

@ HDTV1080P Icon,

I would ask please not to answer questions here, I have started this thread with the purpose of gathering questions to use in my review of the prototype Steve will be sending me. You have made speculation of the project evolving into the SD Wafer concept and that is fine, you started your own thread about that. I did not post in your thread to make this announcement and I ask that you and anyone else respect the nature and intention of this thread. If any of you have questions about the Colecovision Ultimate SD cartridge that I will be receiving soon I will do my best to answer them in my upcoming Video Review (which I will follow up and post here) That Steve Tucker has asked me to do. I can appreciate your being helpful HDTV1080P Icon but I would like to stick to the the original purpose of my thread THANKS.

@ HDTV1080P Icon,

I would ask please not to answer questions here, I have started this thread with the purpose of gathering questions to use in my review of the prototype Steve will be sending me. You have made speculation of the project evolving into the SD Wafer concept and that is fine, you started your own thread about that. I did not post in your thread to make this announcement and I ask that you and anyone else respect the nature and intention of this thread. If any of you have questions about the Colecovision Ultimate SD cartridge that I will be receiving soon I will do my best to answer them in my upcoming Video Review (which I will follow up and post here) That Steve Tucker has asked me to do. I can appreciate your being helpful HDTV1080P Icon but I would like to stick to the the original purpose of my thread THANKS.

DOH! Sorry HDTV1080P just noticed I cut n pasted your whole name including the "icon" at the end, I wanted to correct that but the window to edit a post is so damn short now.

OldSchoolRetroGamer that is ok if you pasted my name with icon that is no big deal. Also I do not like not being able to edit posts on this forum after a certain time period. I think the time limit is an hour now but not sure. It is nice to be able to edit posts but as you mentioned the time limit is too short.

OldSchoolRetroGamer I apologize for answering questions in this thread. I meant no disrespect to you. In fact I was hoping by posting in your thread about the product that the thread I created would loose interest and would not be used anymore.

When I answered a few questions only some of my answers were so called "speculations". I have been in contact with Steve at Atarimax with suggestions and questions to this project long before it was announced to the public. My original suggestion to Atarimax was to call the cartridge "Colecovision SD Wafer Cartridge" since Steve's cartridge has more storage and RAM capacity compared to the ADAM computer and any supergame module Coleco was planning. The official name became "Colecovision Ultimate SD Cartridge".

Some of my comments were possible things a programmer might be able to do with the cartridge for those interested in designing videogames or Adam applications. I was just trying to help someone that asked some questions in this thread that I had some answers too.

Take care and from now on, I will only post questions in this thread for you to cover in your review and will not answer anyone's questions.

Edited by HDTV1080P

@ HDTV1080P

Thank you very much for understanding. I certainly understand and appreciate where you are coming from. Boy how I hate asking such things, although I try to be as nice as can be I am sure you can relate you just never know how someone online will react to you. Thank you for understanding it is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

@ HDTV1080P

Thank you very much for understanding. I certainly understand and appreciate where you are coming from. Boy how I hate asking such things, although I try to be as nice as can be I am sure you can relate you just never know how someone online will react to you. Thank you for understanding it is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Bump

Been awhile, I was wondering if you have received/tested the "SD Multi-cart" If so, do you have any initial information/feedback to post?

@ HDTV1080P

Bump

Been awhile, I was wondering if you have received/tested the "SD Multi-cart" If so, do you have any initial information/feedback to post?

Thank you for asking. In fact it arrived yesterday much to both our relief! I am waiting to hear back from Steve so he can link me to the latest version of files for the SD card, also will be a few days before I can get things out of the way so I can begin working on the video but you can be sure the moment it is complete I will announce it here. It is in my possession, looks great and I look forward to testing it out. All I can say at this point is it looks just as nice as my USB Colecovision 128in1 but has a nice SD card slot in place of the USB port. Much more info and video coming soon THANKS!

Thank you for asking. In fact it arrived yesterday much to both our relief! I am waiting to hear back from Steve so he can link me to the latest version of files for the SD card, also will be a few days before I can get things out of the way so I can begin working on the video but you can be sure the moment it is complete I will announce it here. It is in my possession, looks great and I look forward to testing it out. All I can say at this point is it looks just as nice as my USB Colecovision 128in1 but has a nice SD card slot in place of the USB port. Much more info and video coming soon THANKS!

Thank You for the update. Looking forward to hearing your feedback and viewing a video of it in action.

• 4 weeks later...

Have any review info, or a Youtube video?

Hoping to finish the footage, return the Prototype to Steve and upload the video within the week or so. Will post when ready.

That was a fast reply. Thanks for the update. I am very excited about this new product.