IGNORED

Atari 2600 Pause Kit Now Available!

Albert

A quick thought I came up with on another thread; I wonder if it would be possible to add an led in the circuit to indicate when pause is on? If it were just a bulb I would try it myself, but a LED has three leads and that just enough to confuse me. (doesn't take much). I dont think the circuit would have enough voltage to do another kind of bulb; don't know that it would have enough for LED frankly. Anyway just a thought. Morgan

You have an unusual opinion about LEDs, they usually have two leads and only need a very small voltage and amperage to light up, so the Atari 2600 could definately supply enough.

I've just figured out how to add an LED to the pause kit as I was typing that :lol: simply use a double pole switch! That way you can have one side controling the pause function and the other side connected to the LED which would be connected to the 5V voltage regulator through a 200 ohm resistor. Any resistor between 100 ohms and 1k ohm works fine, I just like to use a resistor at about 200 ohms because you still get a good brightness and don't draw too much power.

This is exactly what I was going to do. I have all the parts all ready to go, just never got around to doing my heavily modified atari yet. Its going to be pretty sweet when its done. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to hear from some that have installed this (ideally from electronics newbies). How hard was it to do so? Results? I love the idea of a pause, but I'm hesitant to operate on my modded 2600. I installed the 8-bit domain mods before. so I should be ok.

Jr.'s not working any more. I use Donkey Kong to test. I got a rolling screen and the beginning sound keeps repeating. I unsoldered everything and again I get the rolling screen with repeating sound. :sad: I may not have fixed the trace I cut, but I figured I would see if anyone here knows what is going on first.

Jr.'s not working any more. I use Donkey Kong to test. I got a rolling screen and the beginning sound keeps repeating. I unsoldered everything and again I get the rolling screen with repeating sound. :sad: I may not have fixed the trace I cut, but I figured I would see if anyone here knows what is going on first.

I may have had it connected to the stella rather than the RIOT. Would that have killed the Stella chip?

I may have had it connected to the stella rather than the RIOT. Would that have killed the Stella chip?

Test it by bridging the trace you cut, before you re-install it.

• 1 year later...

i bought the pause kit. i added a bilateral switch (4066) in order to use a sanwa button for the pause button. i figure if you're going to have a pause button on the system, it should be big & momentary (like the master system 2). i am currently working on programming a pic to activate a "pause" text screen when system is paused. just a b&w text & mute sound when pause button is pushed. i also noticed when the 6502 execution is resumed, it skips a frame or two. i think it happens because the cpu resumes but it has to re-draw the entire tv frame over, so the picture doesn't show until next tv vblank even though actual execution begins at next instruction (just my guess from observations). i hope this behavior doesn't cause anyone to loose thier last live in a bad spot. just remember to pause a slow spot in the game. also need to work on good debounce for sanwa. i noticed if paused/unpaused rapidly, the cpu resets. not good. ultimately i want to make a daughter board that would have the av/svid (with balance control for stereo sound) mod + pause + rapid fire all on one pcb with a easy way to mount (probably with standoffs) & a custom connector panel for back.

• 11 months later...

The pause switch instructions don't cover a board revision similar to my 2600A (rev. 14 and somewhat like the Atari 2800 board photos) so I wasn't entirely sure which resistor to remove and which trace to cut. I searched for similar postings on this and found none so I'm adding what I found here. I took some photos in case I need to describe what I did but then I found this website which shows a board similar to mine with better descriptions on what to do and why.

http://www.vintagegamingandmore.com/pause-installation-guide-4-switch/

In brief, remove the yellow-purple-red (4.7K) resistor closest to TIA (R201 on my board) and cut the trace between pin 3 on TIA and pin 3 on 6507 (do not cut the trace between pin 3 on TIA and the removed resistor).

What I liked about those instructions was using the removed resistor site as solder points for the VCC and TIA wires. What I did different was 1) cut the trace under TIA where I had a bit more room for slop, and 2) I did not like putting the ground wire under the shield surface so I put it on 6507 pin 2 as in the official instructions. Thus, only two connections were needed on a chip leg.

I twisted the orange switch wires together to make them easier to handle (any maybe reduce noise) and passed them through the hole in the shield made for that tall thing(?) that sits next to the 6507.

The pause switch works great. Many thank yous to whom it may concern.

• 1 year later...

Hey, sorry to bump this old thread, but...I just wanted to check and see if anybody has tried this in a 7800 yet. I just got the pause kit, and my plan is to put it in a 2600jr that I just acquired, but if it will work in a 7800, I'll put it in my 7800 instead.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I mean...no matter what position the switch is in. :( Too bad it's not an un-doable mod.

The mod should be reversable. Just bridge any traces you may have cut and replace the resistor you're supposed to remove. I thought about getting a pause kit a while back but decided against it because a few people reported problems with it glitching up.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...