IGNORED

RXB - Rich Extended Basic

Bones-69

Rich, since you seem to be unwilling to compare Kaleidoscope running under RXB 2014 and RXB 2012, could you post Kaleidoscope here so that others can make that comparison?

Well had to go dig it up so here you go;

100 REM  *********************
110 REM  *       COLOR       *
120 REM  *   KALEIDOSCOPE    *
130 REM  *********************
140 REM  BY MELODY COVINGTON
150 REM  HOME COMPUTER MAGAZINE
160 REM  VERSION 4.4.1
170 REM  TI BASIC
180 REM
190 CALL SCREEN(16)
200 CALL CLEAR
210 RANDOMIZE
220 REM  define characters
230 S$="0103070F1F3F7FFF"
240 T$="80C0E0F0F8FCFEFF"
250 U$="FF7F3F1F0F070301"
260 V$="FFFEFCF8F0E0C080"
270 FOR A=96 TO 152 STEP 8
280 CALL CHAR(A,V$)
290 NEXT A
300 FOR B=97 TO 153 STEP 8
310 CALL CHAR(B,T$)
320 NEXT B
330 FOR C=98 TO 154 STEP 8
340 CALL CHAR(C,U$)
350 NEXT C
360 FOR D=99 TO 155 STEP 8
370 CALL CHAR(D,S$)
380 NEXT D
390 REM  define colors
400 CALL COLOR(16,14,15)
410 CALL COLOR(15,12,10)
420 CALL COLOR(14,9,16)
430 CALL COLOR(13,7,11)
440 CALL COLOR(12,15,14)
450 CALL COLOR(11,10,12)
460 CALL COLOR(10,16,9)
470 CALL COLOR(9,11,7)
480 REM  these loops place 25 sets of each color combo
490 FOR M=96 TO 152 STEP 8
500 FOR I=1 TO 25
510 GOSUB 550
520 NEXT I
530 NEXT M
540 GOTO 490
550 REM  subroutine
560 REM  randomly generates coordinates
570 R=(RND*12)+1
580 C=(RND*16)+1
590 REM  plot character plus the reflections
600 CALL VCHAR(R,C,M)
610 CALL VCHAR(25-R,C,M+1)
620 CALL VCHAR(R,33-C,M+2)
630 CALL VCHAR(25-R,33-C,M+3)
640 RETURN

How much of Turbo

Well to be fair how much of Turbo Forth is written in GPL?

Well, the comparing of apples and oranges has been going on for awhile now, so I'm surprised the fairness issue is being raised. I see things from a different perspective so all the minutiae about how many milliseconds it takes does not really interest me. I just wonder if it's a tangible and noticeable difference in the over all scheme of things. I mean really, how many programs lean so heavily on the RND function as to really make a difference? Sure, there will always be one or two specific programs, but that's out of how many others? Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

I just tried the following program and TIB and XB:

10 N=0
20 A=RND
30 N=N+1
40 IF N<65536 THEN 20

And the following equivalent program in fbForth and TurboForth:

VARIABLE N
VARIABLE A
: TEST
  BEGIN
    0 RND A !   
    1 N +!  
  N @ 0= UNTIL ;

I'd like to do this from C to add another data point to the comparison, but I want to make sure I use a comparable random function (as in, with comparable target type and size). What does TurboForth use for this?

I'd like to do this from C to add another data point to the comparison, but I want to make sure I use a comparable random function (as in, with comparable target type and size). What does TurboForth use for this?

How do you correctly time that TI Basic and XB test?

Here's what I found in my speed tests of the new RND function:

I ran these programs for 1 minute in RXB 2012 with the fast RND; RXB 2012; standard XB; TI BASIC:

10 X=RND

20 N=N+1

30 GOTO 10

then

20 N=N+1

30 GOTO 20

RXB with the fast RND:

3207 loops = 18.71 mSec/loop; 8915 loops = 6.73 mSec/loop; this gives 11.98 mSec/RND

RXB 2012:

855 loops = 70.17 mSec/loop; 8915 loops = 6.73 mSec/loop; this gives 63.44 mSec/RND

TI XB was the same as RXB 2012

TI BASIC: (just for what it's worth)

3607 loops = 16.63 mSec/loop; 11123 loops = 5.39 mSec/loop; this gives 11.24 mSec/RND

So the fast RND generates a random number 5.3x faster than standard XB or RXB 2012

How does this translate into the real world of programming? I ran the kaleidoscope program in post #451 above, after modifying line 540 to end the program rather than loop endlessly.

RXB 2012 took 53.93 seconds to run

RXB with fast RND took 33.21 seconds to run

So this particular program ran 1.62 times faster with the new RND and this is quite noticeable. Your mileage may vary: Kaleidoscope makes pretty heavy use of the RND generator, and most programs would probably see less of a speed increase. Even so, I bet it would be noticeable for most games. This is definitely a worthwhile addition to RXB.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question, I have a TI99/4a with the Extended BASIC, Editor Assembler, and Disk Manager cartridges, is there a way to load the CALL CAT subprogram piece of RXB from disk so it can stay resident in TI XB?

You should stay tuned for the next release of the XB v2.7 suite cartridge. All the things you mentioned are included in one cartridge. XB v2.7 Suite has the CALL CAT command resident in XB v2.7 like RXB, plus the Editor/Assembler cartridge is updated so you don't need to load the files from disk (and it is coupled with the TI Writer cartridge), and Disk Manager 2 is upgraded to use all floppy drive letters from 1 to Z. Plus there's much much more included in the cartridge. ;)

Gazoo

RXB version of Editor Assembler is getting updated again.

It al

I have a question, I have a TI99/4a with the Extended BASIC, Editor Assembler, and Disk Manager cartridges, is there a way to load the CALL CAT subprogram piece of RXB from disk so it can stay resident in TI XB?

RXB version of Editor Assember is getting a update to the Catalog section as no one else that puts out a Editor Assembler can touch the REA version, none of the others have a cataloger and loader.

Not even mentioning RXB has Hard Drive commands built into it.

You should stay tuned for the next release of the XB v2.7 suite cartridge. All the things you mentioned are included in one cartridge. XB v2.7 Suite has the CALL CAT command resident in XB v2.7 like RXB, plus the Editor/Assembler cartridge is updated so you don't need to load the files from disk (and it is coupled with the TI Writer cartridge), and Disk Manager 2 is upgraded to use all floppy drive letters from 1 to Z. Plus there's much much more included in the cartridge. ;)

Gazoo

That is all very nice, but I just want a way to soft load from disk a dir or cat sub program or something like CALL LINK("CAT",1).

That is all very nice, but I just want a way to soft load from disk a dir or cat sub program or something like CALL LINK("CAT",1).

RXB has CALL CAT(1) or CALL CAT("DSK1.") or CALL CAT(49) or CALL CAT(Y$) if Y$="DSK1." or CALL CAT(P) if P=49 and all will catalog disk drive 1

Also CALL DIR(1) is exactly the same if you like DIR instead of CAT for this.

RXB has the only SMART cataloger made for a TI or Geneve. It figures out what you want.

Rich Editor Assembler also has smart loader for EDIT1 or ASSM1 by just pressing 0 will search all drives from 1 to 9 for those files.

Also RXB 2014 and REA 2014 will have some new features not seen before in XB or EA.

You'll want this disk, then. Load Disk Manager IV from the menu. It's links will stay resident in XB until you quit or do a CALL INIT.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229041-fiads-or-doads-dsk-images-or-zips-your-favorite-here/?do=findComment&comment=3059170

Gazoo

RXB has CALL CAT(1) or CALL CAT("DSK1.") or CALL CAT(49) or CALL CAT(Y$) if Y$="DSK1." or CALL CAT(P) if P=49 and all will catalog disk drive 1

Also CALL DIR(1) is exactly the same if you like DIR instead of CAT for this.

RXB has the only SMART cataloger made for a TI or Geneve. It figures out what you want.

Rich Editor Assembler also has smart loader for EDIT1 or ASSM1 by just pressing 0 will search all drives from 1 to 9 for those files.

Also RXB 2014 and REA 2014 will have some new features not seen before in XB or EA.

RXB is nice, but I don't have an RXB cartridge, and I also don't always need all the extra features, and there is no way I know of to load RXB in RAM. I was just looking for a way to have a resident dir or cat command with XB that I could load from disk. There is some software I have that is called Disk Manager IV from Quality 99 software that does exactly what I want, but even though I have a working image in PC99 format, it is copy protected and I can't seem to figure out a way to get it back on a physical disk, so now I can only use it with emulation.

One day I would like to get an RXB cartridge though, too.

Give this a try. It is the disk cataloger from my old EZKEYS Plus utility. To load it just RUN the program XBCAT. The disk cataloger will be loaded into low memory, ready for use. To use the cataloger type: CALL LINK("CAT"). You are prompted for the disk number, then the disk is cataloged. Press any key to pause; press a key again to resume the listing.

This works fine with real iron. The filenames are limited to 10 bytes long, and so can be truncated if you're using .TXT or .OBJ file extensions with Classic99

>>Oct 2 updated catalog program to give better keyboard response when pausing and resuming the listing. The file is now XBCAT1

XBCAT1.zip

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 1

Give this a try. It is the disk cataloger from my old EZKEYS Plus utility. To load it just RUN the program XBCAT. The disk cataloger will be loaded into low memory, ready for use. To use the cataloger type: CALL LINK("CAT"). You are prompted for the disk number, then the disk is cataloged. Press any key to pause; press a key again to resume the listing.

This works fine with real iron. The filenames are limited to 10 bytes long, and so can be truncated if you're using .TXT or .OBJ file extensions with Classic99

Thanks! This works and is small and easy to use.

• 3 months later...

The Editor like the Assembler is on Disk or Hard Drive or RAM Disk.

To run some other type of Editor just use EA option 5 Run Program File or use Catalog to select and run that program.

I have been told that REA and RXB work fine with the HDX.

• 5 weeks later...