IGNORED

RXB - Rich Extended Basic

Bones-69

Tried a few times sitting my toe into MESS, and I always end up getting it chopped off for various reasons, falling back to Classic99 or V9t9 to do stuff outside of my real iron setup.

You know I'm here to help anyone with MESS, so if there are problems, I would appreciate if you report them to me. In most cases there is a simple remedy. "Some years ago" or similar means you missed all my fixes in the meantime, so maybe you would find a quite new experience right now.

• Like 1

The TI-99/4A emulation in MESS is outstanding. Easily the closest thing we have to the real thing. I don't like the command line interface, but I use batch files to launch MESS with different hardware configurations, and it actually works very well. The in-emulator menu systems kind of suck, but that's nothing to do with the 4A emulation; it's the MAME system upon which the 4A emulation is built.

It's a good emulator for our needs.

I am using Windows 7 that has built in zip for files why the hell would I want WinZip when I already have a built in zip utility?

The TI Image tool says I have to download WinZip that I really really hate as it is complicated and loads 99% useless junk features I will never use.

Besides in the years I have used WinZip it crashes so much it drove me insane. There has to be a better solution then to load this crap software please.

Is there a extension I need instead with Chrome to run this the TI Image Tool?

Ok never mind found with some research that was not mentioned anywhere that I needed to load JRE from Oracal and that fixed the issue.

Edited by RXB

Well stuck between a rock and hard spot.

Some projects I have done will just flat out not work on Classic99 and some examples are anything with Files or programs.

(Tursi is great for fixing GRAM and other issues to be more user friendly.)

Now the workarounds just can not be demoed or used in real iron. Just the advantages and disadvantages of Classic99.

I love using Classic99 but it has this issue of being so far off from real iron for some areas.

(Few if you look over the entire package.)

Thus a couple of projects are dead in the water only because I use Classic99.

Using MESS is a necessity now, and sadly a uphill climb for a new user. But then I was like that for Classic99 as Tursi can attest I have been a pain in the ass.

Just use a front end like QMC2.

• Like 1

Just what the heck does this mean?

<key>Esc</key>

<key> does this mean Esc?

And what the heck is </key> does that mean / key?

When I use the Esc / it does nothing at all?

Documentation is horrid at explaining what <key> is or what is going on. Example using S F3 (Function 3) / does nothing at all?

To quit the MESS just minimizes the emulator as far as I can tell in Windows 7 is this supposed to happen?

But to get there nothing makes any sense as I am using Ctrl Alt Del to get out of the MESS.

Edited by RXB

Just use a front end like QMC2.

Let us pretend I do not have a clue how to set this up or how it works?

Well screw that! I have no clue how to set it up and it warns me over and over that it can damage files.

I imagine that if you do this on a daily basis it seems simple. But not having a clue how this works makes it seem pretty complicated.

Just what the heck does this mean?

<key>Esc</key>

<key> does this mean Esc?

And what the heck is </key> does that mean / key?

When I use the Esc / it does nothing at all?

Documentation is horrid at explaining what <key> is or what is going on. Example using S F3 (Function 3) / does nothing at all?

To quit the MESS just minimizes the emulator as far as I can tell in Windows 7 is this supposed to happen?

But to get there nothing makes any sense as I am using Ctrl Alt Del to get out of the MESS.

Hey Rich, I think I understand what your asking. F3 resets the system and Esc exits MESS, if the MESS menu is activated. Scroll Lock is the default button to activate the MESS menu.

Hey Rich, I think I understand what your asking. F3 resets the system and Esc exits MESS, if the MESS menu is activated. Scroll Lock is the default button to activate the MESS menu.

Hmm Esc does nothing at all. So maybe MESS is ignoring my Bootcamp drivers for my Mac Pro Keyboard while running Windows 7

Function 3 also is ignored. Or is there something I am missing?

Ok so Function 14 is Scroll Lock on the Mac Keyboard and then the Esc key works. Cool but kinda goofy.

Edited by RXB

Where did you ... You obviously found that <key>ESC</key> on the MESS manual page. This seems to be a mistake of the page author (not me!), probably copying the contents from somewhere else where the tag <key> has a meaning, maybe with a special presentation style (like bold font or so). Or the author wanted to be really kewl.

You don't know XML? In the eXtensible Markup Language, data is structured using nested elements, and these elements are written as <elementname>content</elementname>. So just ignore those <key> and </key>.

As Robert already said:

MESS has a "full keyboard mode" and a "partial keyboard mode". In the partial mode, some keys are used for emulator control (ESC=exit, F3=reset, P=pause, TAB=menu). In full mode, all keys are used by the emulated system.

To switch between both modes, the ScrLock key is used by default. You can change that in the mess.ini file (uimodekey property). If you do not yet have a mess.ini file you should create it by invoking mess with the command line argument "-createconfig".

Also see http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php/Change_MESS_menu_mode_key

I love using Classic99 but it has this issue of being so far off from real iron for some areas.

Classic99 is getting more and more people talking about how "far off" from hardware it is, and yet I have no bug reports in my inbox describing areas in which it differs from hardware (at least in supported configurations). The only area I know that it does not run correctly compared to the console is matching real time. Anyone is welcome to tell me about places that it is "so far" from the real iron, if only so I know what people are trying to do. I even have real TI disk controller support in there these days, for compatibility reasons.

Classic99 is getting more and more people talking about how "far off" from hardware it is, and yet I have no bug reports in my inbox describing areas in which it differs from hardware (at least in supported configurations). The only area I know that it does not run correctly compared to the console is matching real time. Anyone is welcome to tell me about places that it is "so far" from the real iron, if only so I know what people are trying to do. I even have real TI disk controller support in there these days, for compatibility reasons.

Sorry Tursi that was not a knock on Classic99 at all. I mostly use Classic99 for the same features that are dissimilar for writing code and testing it.

The "far off" was used as a compliment as Classic99 is much faster than real iron. And the cut and paste feature is another reason Classic99 is faster.

Anyone is welcome to tell me about places that it is "so far" from the real iron, if only so I know what people are trying to do.

About the only area I've found has to do with playing sound lists. Sound lists play at about half the speed compared to real iron. Maybe that is because my computers are 8-10 years old, but it doesn't seem like that should make a difference.

Hello Rich,

QMC2 is not within my responsibility, and I cannot fully elaborate on its usage. What I can say, though:

The system you want to start (TI-99/4A) is on the very left. Your video looks as if you clipped the left edge.

Only consider the systems without a "D" in the blue disk. D means device, but don't ask me why QMC2 offers to start sub-devices.

For you, "TI-99/4A Home Computer" should be the correct choice.

Right-click and choose "To favorites". There is a tab "Favorites" so you don't have to look for it next time.

You can directly start the emulation by right-click on the favorite and "Play".

However, you usually want to start up with cartridges or disks inserted. So you should define one or more suitable configurations. Look at the right half of the window. There is a row of tabs. One of them reads "devices".

Enter a name for your configuration, like "Config 1". Once you type into the field, the "save" button on the very right becomes active.

Choose the sub-tab "Device mappings". You can use the buttons to open a file chooser. For example, to launch RXB you should insert the path to the RXB RPK file in the "cartridge" line.

Go to the next sub-tab "slot options". In slot 8 you should now insert a disk controller. I recommend the HFDC controller. You can select further peripheral cards in the other slots.

Save the configuration. The name of the new configuration should show up in the "Stored device configurations" field. You can now launch the emulation by double click on the configuration name.

Always keep in mind that if you want to swap disks or change cartridges you should use the OSD menu that you activate by first changing to partial keyboard mode, then press TAB. QMC2 is only used on startup; it cannot replace the internal menu system.

About the only area I've found has to do with playing sound lists. Sound lists play at about half the speed compared to real iron. Maybe that is because my computers are 8-10 years old, but it doesn't seem like that should make a difference.

No, not age, just particular combination of hardware.

With the timing becoming everyone's biggest complaint, the next release will be the last one to support Windows 98. I want to start using the newer APIs. ;)

• Like 2

No, not age, just particular combination of hardware.

With the timing becoming everyone's biggest complaint, the next release will be the last one to support Windows 98. I want to start using the newer APIs. ;)

Regarding the sound, the problem I reported as fixed a while back is actually still there: If you have the debugger open and press F1 to pause, the sound stops. But when you minimize the window the sound starts again and plays the last part over and over. The same thing happens if 'Pause When Window Inactive' is enabled and you just minimize the window (without pausing first). This is in Windows 7.

• Like 1

Before you get too involved with QMC2, might I suggest MESSUI instead. Just about anything you need to do is available by using the menu bar at the top. of the screen. Shown below is my EVPC setup with HSGPL main menu, which exactly mirrors my real TI equipment.

med_gallery_29515_1168_50713.jpg

Pressing the spacebar moves the menu letters to the right side of the menu in case anyone's interested, and another press moves them back - it's all written in GPL and autostarted on powerup.

MESSUI makes it real simple to change disks or harddrives within the emulation. Clicking on the 'Devices' tab brings down the menu of available devices as shown below.

med_gallery_29515_1168_6209.jpg
Moving the mouse pointer down to the first harddrive lets you mount or unmount it in the emulation.
gallery_29515_1168_61469.jpg

Clicking 'mount' brings up an explorer type window with the last folder you selected when you changed a floppy or hard drive.
med_gallery_29515_1168_57127.jpg

Select the file and click 'open' and that floppy or hard drive is instantly available for your use without having to quit and restart the emulator.
Gazoo

• Like 1

That looks a lot less complicated Gazoo.

Will give it a try thanks.

I have read setting up a HSGPL card is very precise or it crashes. As I have so little time I have worked with MESS this is all new to me.

How hard is it to Assemble GPL and load it into the HSGPL card?

The PGRAM was a pain in the ass as you had to load a program to allow a write to GRAM then turn it back off so it would not crash the PGRAM.

Also you were better off to do a full system restart instead of just switching modules.

The GRAMKRACKER and GRAMULATOR were much more easy to use with a single switch to use. Like Classic99 very easy to write GPL then load and test it.

But DISK and HARD drive access on Classic99 do not exist so any projects in this area are dead in the water. (Especially Sector or Format or Directories)

Also access to GRAM in other pages just does not work as expected. So a very old project I had in mind died thus MESS is a cure for this project.

It turns out that the way Classic99 does GRAM will not allow this program to function as designed.

Not that I will no longer use Classic99 but will use both Classic99 and MESS per my needs.

Edited by RXB

That looks a lot less complicated Gazoo.

Will give it a try thanks.

I have read setting up a HSGPL card is very precise or it crashes. As I have so little time I have worked with MESS this is all new to me.

How hard is it to Assemble GPL and load it into the HSGPL card?

The PGRAM was a pain in the ass as you had to load a program to allow a write to GRAM then turn it back off so it would not crash the PGRAM.

Also you were better off to do a full system restart instead of just switching modules.

The GRAMKRACKER and GRAMULATOR were much more easy to use with a single switch to use. Like Classic99 very easy to write GPL then load and test it.

But DISK and HARD drive access on Classic99 do not exist so any projects in this area are dead in the water. (Especially Sector or Format or Directories)

Also access to GRAM in other pages just does not work as expected. So a very old project I had in mind died thus MESS is a cure for this project.

Not that I will no longer use Classic99 but will use both Classic99 and MESS per my needs.

Many questions...

"I have read setting up a HSGPL card is very precise or it crashes."

The HSGPL card whether real or emulated is very precise. I love that about it. Michael Becker could not have done a finer job in producing a real grom card.

Yes, you must follow the rules of Grom, or it crashes. It helps to be part German. ;)

"How hard is it to Assemble GPL and load it into the HSGPL card?"

I don't know, as I don't know that process. GPL is unlike assembly, which is easier to write source code for - then assemble - then compile. For GPL, I inhaled the TI INTERN as my bible and learned all the opcodes. I type GPL code directly into a memory editor and run it immediately, much less work. For that process the memory editor I lifted from the Pgram DSR is the best. Look for MEMEDITOR on whtech. Set CRU adress >1B02 and edit away on page >10 of the HSGPL. Nothing better, baby!

Hmm..., I found the PGRAM much more user friendly than the Gramkracker. I owned a Gramkracker for about a month and didn't really care for all the switch flipping...ugggh! Much easier to do that stuff in software.

Gazoo

Before you get too involved with QMC2, might I suggest MESSUI instead. Just about anything you need to do is available by using the menu bar at the top. of the screen. Shown below is my EVPC setup with HSGPL main menu, which exactly mirrors my real TI equipment.

The MESS UI is all I use for selecting devices and disks. Once you get past the initial setup hurdles, the UI handles everything relatively well.

From what I can see how would you load GPL Object Code into the HSGPL card?

As a GPL programming this is must for me.

Imagine using C and the only way to load your code is to run 4 different programs before you could test it. You spend more time setting up then testing.

Are there any English translations I can use to see if the HSGPL card will work for me?

I only see german so far.

As for MESSUI so far I am a little confused are MAME and MESS the same thing as it says missing the .ini file?

Where is this windows version of config.ini file as it did not come with the install and neither did the MESSUI one?