IGNORED

Anybody else absolutely -LOVE- California Games?

Atari Joe

Even though the Lynx doesnt have as many games as gameboy most of the Lynx games are excellent. There are lots of great games and accessories to give you a reason to buy a Lynx. I think CALIFORNIA GAMES is one of the reasons and it might just be my favorite atari game of all time.

CALIFORNIA GAMES has everything you need in a great game! Bright sunny graphics, great music and always a good time! It's a game that everybody can like! It has 4 different games - BMX Bicycle, Skateboard, Surfing and Hackie Sack. They are all great! CALIFORNIA GAMES has excellent graphics and sound, especially the different light hearted songs that play during the 4 different games, and the version of LOUIE LOUIE that plays as the California license plate flips around at the start-up screen is just BAD 2 THE BONE. It's just GREAT. I also love the graphics from the surfing game. The bright crystal blue sea just makes me want to get drenched! And the control of the surfboard and how you launch your man off the wave and rotate around to 720 every time is just fantastic you can feel the wave spring you off into the air.

CALIFORNIA GAMES also makes me feel like summertime. Bar-B-Q s. Hot Dogs. Sunshine. The beach. Surfing. Girls. Yeah summertime is the best time of the year. People in blown hot rods. CALIFORNIA GAMES is a game that has been part of every summer for me since 1989. It just feels like summer! And when its the end of winter and i want it to be summer I just pull out California Games and give it a play and it's like it's summer again.

CALIFORNIA GAMES is a terriffic game and it was a really smart move by Atari to include CALIFORNIA GAMES as the Lynx pack-in title. It showcased the Lynx capabilities and was always a great time for all!

Joe : ]

post-2014-127549445256_thumb.jpg

post-2014-127549446635_thumb.png

Edited by Atari Joe
  • Like 2

I love California Games. It's great for when you need a quick Atari fix. Sometimes it becomes more than that. :lol: Surfing is my favorite event. It's genuinely exciting to try and pull a quadruple. And the excellent music seems to beckon to me to try again when time runs out.

Great post! :thumbsup:

I agree, it's one of the most fun games for the Lynx. Bmx is crazy! Epyx really knew how to handle the Lynx. When I got my Lynx in 1990 i thought there was something wrong with the game or that I only got a demo of it since it only contained four different sports. Still it's a great game that I always play when I have a "Lynx gaming session". :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, it's one of the most fun games for the Lynx. Bmx is crazy! Epyx really knew how to handle the Lynx. When I got my Lynx in 1990 i thought there was something wrong with the game or that I only got a demo of it since it only contained four different sports. Still it's a great game that I always play when I have a "Lynx gaming session". :)

yea back in the day i had cal games on my commodore and when i got it on the lynx i felt a bit annoyied it didnt have the frisbee throw

its funny since the picture on the box shows the skatergirl holding the frisbee front and center

Edited by bohoki

A note on hackysack - the control / scoring code was ported from the 2600 to the lynx. Of course, the display code was completely re-written, but a lot of the game was copied. The programmer on that event was struggling a bit, so in order get get the project out, I gave him some of the 2600 code (remember that it's all 5602).

The surfing level is so freakin' beautiful! I swear that wave is translucent...

I think BMX is my fav (slightly over surfing) I only wish there was more than one track.

Any tricks people want to share?

Anyone been able to "ride the pelican" in surfing?

How about doing the 800 point flip in BMX (I think it was 800 pts...)

Ok, about the half-pipe. I haven't played it recently but I think it went like this:

1. You start and go down, press and hold joypad down.

2. You cross the middle of the pipe, press and hold joypad up.

3. You go up in the air, press A to turn, keep pressing, remember the point where you started pressing A

4. At the top, when gravity starts pulling you down again, press and hold joypad down.

5. Release A at the point you started pressing it.

6. goto 2

This is what I remember.

• 4 weeks later...

Loved this game! BMX was always so much fun. It was always so great to pull off a flip and land it at the last minute.

Surfing was my second choice, I remember how amazed I was at the wave graphics.

I really need to pick up a Lynx II. I got rid of mine several years ago and could kick myself... :(

I loved the surfing part of the cart.The timer was the downer on it for me though.An option for freestyle play on any event and timed 2-4 player competition would've been nice too!The Lynx had the best version of CG -- many mags and reviewers said so in 1989/90!The comlynx is neat too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

One of my all time personal favorite games to play out of all systems. Good variety, great music, colorful graphics, and endless replay value! I've played the BMX hundreds of times.

I just got a Lynx with this California Games. Can someone describe exactly what's going on in the surfing game? What's the purpose-- which keypad keys do I press and which one's shouldn't I press? I just pressed down and it made some sort of circle.

The purpose is to gather speed and do tricks.

Move up and down a bit to gather some speed then direct the surfer upwards into the sky and hold the joypad to the side to do a spin and see how many you can get before directing him back into the wave without falling off.

I still think California Games is one the best games on the Lynx. I'm actually rather adept at the half-pipe, but suck royally at BMX.

I'm good at the hackysack too, but from what I remember there's a bug that stops tallying your score when you get to a certain point. I remember someone running into it when we were doing hackysack in the HSC a while back.