Photo

Replacing old PSX/SS CD-drives with a hard drive or SD card?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Vectorman OFFLINE  

Vectorman

Chopper Commander

• 133 posts

Posted Wed Jun 2, 2010 2:07 PM

Hi,
Has anyone tried to replace a PS1 or Sega Saturn's CD-Rom drive with a fast, modern hard-drive or create a drive using SD card storage? It seems it would be a great way to salvage many of those older systems with flaky, dead or dying CD drives. Plus the load times could be eliminated, you could store all your favorite games on one hard drive, no CD swapping, unlimited save space, download games from the net with no CD-burning. Even the Coleco ADAM and the TI-99 both have SD card drives now.

#2 Hatta OFFLINE  

Hatta

Stargunner

• 1,289 posts

Posted Wed Jun 2, 2010 2:53 PM

Yeah, I think this is the next trend in retro gaming hardware. You can already load Gamecube games from an SD device. There is a prototype for a Dreamcast SD loader, but it's not commercially available. I don't think anyone has done this for the Saturn or PSX. I'm sure it will happen eventually, as more and more drives die and replacement laser assemblies become harder to find.

#3 triverse OFFLINE  

triverse

Dragonstomper

• 507 posts

Posted Sun Jun 6, 2010 11:07 PM

Given enough time, and inclination, sure it will happen.  Just have to get the right modder interested in it.  It would be nice to see happen but I am sure it is not as easy as just swapping wires or something similar like a controller modification.

#4 Haunted360 OFFLINE  

Haunted360

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012 11:34 AM

It is in development: http://psio.com.au/

#5 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 2,956 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012 11:37 AM

I know there was a Chinese pirate console a while back that would play PS ISO files, essentially a Playstation version of the Dingoo. The technology is apparently getting pretty close, it's just a matter of time.

#6 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,828 posts

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012 2:27 PM

It has recently been done for the 3DO as well (only works with FZ-10 units at this moment): http://3do.cdinterac...?t=2237&start=0

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users