IGNORED

Gaming on a macintosh 128K

I know the C64 has better games, I was just considering the Mac for it's all in one design. I'm not sure even what games the mac can run because me typing in Mac 128K on ebay doesn't come up with anything. But if I have to buy a monitor I'm getting a C64

Well, there's also the issue that a Mac 128k is considered a rarity and very pricey to come by. You'd have much better luck with a Mac Plus (as opposed to the Mac 512k). Those are much more common.

but I haven't found any in good condition.

You can correct the yellowing case issue with Retrobright http://retr0bright.w...Retr0Bright+Gel

it works rather well with yellowed cases, but wont fix a beat down case.

All of the SE/30s I've found have much more serious problems than yellowing. Analog video board issues are the most common problem, but the others suffered from partial motherboard failures like dead sound, fried ADB, or other non-working ports. Analog boards can often be fixed by recapping, but I currently have too many other systems to repair to add another to the list ;)

Edited by akator

You can correct the yellowing case issue with Retrobright http://retr0bright.w...Retr0Bright+Gel

All of the SE/30s I've found have much more serious problems than yellowing. Analog video board issues are the most common problem, but the others suffered from partial motherboard failures like dead sound, fried ADB, or other non-working ports. Analog boards can often be fixed by recapping, but I currently have too many other systems to repair to add another to the list ;)

Yeah the internal speaker in mine is dead. Thankfully I can use external speakers and the sound works just fine. It took me about three to find a decent working one.

Tempest

Yes they had a issue with the caps over time. replacing the caps goes a along way to fix most of those issues, also the electrolyte would spill onto the chips shorting them out (most of the time fixed my putting the mobo into the dish washer, and replacing the caps).

Yeah the internal speaker in mine is dead. Thankfully I can use external speakers and the sound works just fine. It took me about three to find a decent working one.

Tempest

The earphone jack on the those is a switching jack (meaning it uses a switch to enable/disable the internal speaker inside the jack itself). either you have to bypass the switch or to replace the jack itself to fix it.

Its the same thing with my IIgs and its internal speaker, had to jump the ear phone jack to get the internal speaker back working

but really the worst was the yellowing case. Replacing the caps isnt easy but solves most of the B&W Macs issues (other then the occasional Pram battery replacement).

Edited by madmax2069

• 1 month later...