Photo

External RF to Composite Converter ?

13 replies to this topic

#1 macsociety OFFLINE  

macsociety

Chopper Commander

• 192 posts

Posted Sat Jun 5, 2010 11:33 PM

Do they make an external RF to Composite converters to allow both an Atari 2600 & Atari 400 to a monitor like the Commodore 1702 with composite connectors on the front of it? I see a thread talking about a A400 mod but I am not looking for something like that and just want RF quality or slightly better from my A400 or 2600 to the nice bright 1702 monitor.

Anyone ever use those RF to Composite converters on the old Atari? How did it work?

tj

#2 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 12,886 posts

Posted Sat Jun 5, 2010 11:57 PM

Video recorder + switchbox.

RF to composite is kinda pointless, you can't really improve a signal that is already pretty ordinary at it's best.

#3 macsociety OFFLINE  

macsociety

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 192 posts

Posted Sun Jun 6, 2010 12:33 AM

RF to composite is kinda pointless, you can't really improve a signal that is already pretty ordinary at it's best.

I just want to use the system on the monitor and not the TV. The TV is getting dim and prefer to leave the TV off and just play with it on a small bright screen is all.
tj

#4 atariksi OFFLINE  

atariksi

Quadrunner

• 5,337 posts

Posted Sun Jun 6, 2010 5:53 AM

I just want to use the system on the monitor and not the TV. The TV is getting dim and prefer to leave the TV off and just play with it on a small bright screen is all.
tj

The non-VCR RF demodulators with video level/audio level control work great. I have a couple of them and they help enhance the signal for those machines with dim video level output like 800XL. Some advanced VCRs may have those level controls as well but than the advanced VCRs also auto-power off and don't always turn on (boot up) to the channel of our choice.

#5 puppetmark OFFLINE  

puppetmark

Dragonstomper

• 695 posts

Posted Mon Jun 7, 2010 11:00 AM

Do they make an external RF to Composite converters to allow both an Atari 2600 & Atari 400 to a monitor like the Commodore 1702 with composite connectors on the front of it? I see a thread talking about a A400 mod but I am not looking for something like that and just want RF quality or slightly better from my A400 or 2600 to the nice bright 1702 monitor.

Anyone ever use those RF to Composite converters on the old Atari? How did it work?

tj

If you get one of these (F-connector to RCA):
adapter_f_rca.jpg

And connect it to one of these via a coax cable - which is a video DE-modulator, not to be confused with a video modulator (which is what you find commonly in a department stores electronic section and is used to hookup a DVD player to a TV that lacks AV inputs):
MCM_RF_Demodulator.jpg

This one will let you have 2 inputs:
http://www.mcmelectr...ELAID=220564912

Hope this helps

#6 atariksi OFFLINE  

atariksi

Quadrunner

• 5,337 posts

Posted Tue Jun 8, 2010 12:56 AM

tj

If you get one of these (F-connector to RCA):
adapter_f_rca.jpg

And connect it to one of these via a coax cable - which is a video DE-modulator, not to be confused with a video modulator (which is what you find commonly in a department stores electronic section and is used to hookup a DVD player to a TV that lacks AV inputs):
MCM_RF_Demodulator.jpg

This one will let you have 2 inputs:
http://www.mcmelectr...ELAID=220564912

Hope this helps

That link is pointing to a RF modulator not a demodulator. And it's expensive for a modulator which go for a couple of bucks on ebay. Demodulators especially ones with audio/video level controls and in new condition are more expensive than modulators. Perhaps, you meant to give a different link given you did show a picture of a demodulator.

Oh, boy I'm still up and it's 2:56 am.

#7 kenfused OFFLINE  

kenfused

Stargunner

• 1,299 posts

Posted Tue Jun 8, 2010 6:27 PM

Years ago you used to be able to find tuners that would allow you to use your composite monitor as a computer. Another possible solution is one of these eBay Auction -- Item Number: 110536969100 I have one I bought years ago for $5 from some electronics discounter. Essentially it is a switchable channel 3/4 tuner (demodulator) and and rf splitter (which you can ignore) in one box. They seem to turn up very infrequently on ebay though. I used mine with my 7800 until it was updated with a video mod.

#8 puppetmark OFFLINE  

puppetmark

Dragonstomper

• 695 posts

Posted Tue Jun 8, 2010 8:43 PM

That link is pointing to a RF modulator not a demodulator. And it's expensive for a modulator which go for a couple of bucks on ebay. Demodulators especially ones with audio/video level controls and in new condition are more expensive than modulators. Perhaps, you meant to give a different link given you did show a picture of a demodulator.

Oh, boy I'm still up and it's 2:56 am.

oops! sorry, I read that too fast. MCM used to sell demodulators but not so much any more.

#9 atariksi OFFLINE  

atariksi

Quadrunner

• 5,337 posts

Posted Wed Jun 9, 2010 12:09 PM

Years ago you used to be able to find tuners that would allow you to use your composite monitor as a computer. Another possible solution is one of these eBay Auction -- Item Number: 110536969100 I have one I bought years ago for $5 from some electronics discounter. Essentially it is a switchable channel 3/4 tuner (demodulator) and and rf splitter (which you can ignore) in one box. They seem to turn up very infrequently on ebay though. I used mine with my 7800 until it was updated with a video mod.

Does that also have a gain control for audio/video? And it looks like it has two RF inputs, which one is it demodulating to A/V?

#10 kenfused OFFLINE  

kenfused

Stargunner

• 1,299 posts

Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:54 PM

Does that also have a gain control for audio/video? And it looks like it has two RF inputs, which one is it demodulating to A/V?

I found a small article here: http://books.google....crp-02"&f=false

If I remember correctly when i peeked inside, the right three f-connectors was just an rf splitter to split your incoming cable going to a vcr and a cable box and wasn't connected to anything else. The other f connector would tune either channel 3 or channel 4 and the video would be on the video output jacks. I bought it more as a curiosity, and then at some point I want to put the output of my 5200 on a composite monitor and it gave a very good picture. I never actually used it for its intended purpose since it was essentially bought from an electronics liquidator. Unfortunately I have misplaced the 18V adapter but it is here somewhere.

--Ken

edit: I popped the cover and confirmed the left three are just a splitter and are connected to nothing else (except the grounds).
The only IC is an LA7555. There is one variable resistor inside (don't know what it controls), and 15 metal adjustable can things (coils/choke/inductors I assume) you usually see in rf stuff, 3 transistors, a 12 volt regulator, and lots of passive components.

Edited by kenfused, Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:10 PM.

#11 lbaeza OFFLINE  

lbaeza

Moonsweeper

• 392 posts
  • Former NRXA8-staff

Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:12 PM

Ken

Could you please post a picture of the guts of that beast?

Regards

#12 kenfused OFFLINE  

kenfused

Stargunner

• 1,299 posts

Posted Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:10 PM

Ken

Could you please post a picture of the guts of that beast?

Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• internals.jpg

#13 lbaeza OFFLINE  

lbaeza

Moonsweeper

• 392 posts
  • Former NRXA8-staff

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:31 AM

Wow! Thanks for your picture.
Regards

#14 atariksi OFFLINE  

atariksi

Quadrunner

• 5,337 posts

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:21 PM

Usually RF-related stuff has those shielded boxes inside with all the circuitry.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users