IGNORED

The New Donkey Kong "Arcade" For 8-Bit

Kjmann

I'd love to do what these guys did and disassemble the original. I think something closer to the NES version could be done if you target 64K machines (and it's already in 6502 code).

Given the hardware differences, you wouldn't gain much over porting the arcade version and the NES version is still very different from the arcade.

Given the hardware differences, you wouldn't gain much over porting the arcade version and the NES version is still very different from the arcade.

True, but I wonder if the NES port is based on the arcade code or is written from scratch.

True, but I wonder if the NES port is based on the arcade code or is written from scratch.

There is a partial NES disassembly that someone worked on which I have compared to the arcade disassembly, and I found little in common. The overall structure of the code is different as well as the details. The enemy behavior in the NES version is quite different from the arcade.

There is a partial NES disassembly that someone worked on which I have compared to the arcade disassembly, and I found little in common. The overall structure of the code is different as well as the details. The enemy behavior in the NES version is quite different from the arcade.

Is there an arcade disassembly available?

Finnaly :) . I been hoping to play this version of Donkey Kong on my atari Computer hooked up to CRT tv.

And its pretty good, i like the sound effects better than the original, Seems the game also is a little more playable.

Nice and cool retro gaming :cool:

I like the inclusion of the start animation. Not sure why this was put in only for attract mode.

Yea, I like being able to see it where it belongs instead of during attract mode only too. The only thing is it would be nice to skip it by hitting the joystick button when wanted. I think all cut-scenes should be coded like this. When I'm getting into a video game, the last thing I want to do is look at some cute cut-scene -- especially for the 175th time. That's why I usually don't care if they're left out altogether, rather than forcing you to endure their entirety ever time. Emulation is a little better, as you can just hold down the speed-blast key.

In Emulators work fine, but testing in my Atari 800XL NTSC, in the previously screen before start the gameplay (see the pic), for unknow reason the games make a loop back to this screen.

This is because the Atari 800XL is NTSC or could be another thing?

post-36945-0-49369000-1395987285_thumb.jpg

In Emulators work fine, but testing in my Atari 800XL NTSC, in the previously screen before start the gameplay (see the pic), for unknow reason the games make a loop back to this screen.

What device(s) and loader(s) have you tried?

It works on both my 800 and my 800XL. Each are NTSC machines.

I've used binary file loaders Fenders 3-sector boot, PicoBoot, MyPicoDOS, AspeQt's integral loader..

I tried ATRs using my SIO2PC USB cable with SIO2BSD and AspeQt software.

I also had success with the ATRs via my SDrive.

I forgot to try SDrive's binary file loader.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

The Atari version is really good to start with, but there are places where it could be improved. KJMann was mainly focusing on some playability issues and redoing all the sounds and music. I think the sounds and music were fine the way they were. Graphically it could be made a little more accurate and colorful.

I suppose the playability issues were a reasonable thing to work on, but I just took them as a challenge for this particular version.

I simply couldn't, once more, to not answer.

If it's just the looking it would be easy to any coder here to improve it.

Here's my proposal:

Leave all the same it's now, probably need other one or two PFs to other values but keeping same code and screen size/4colours GR.15 bitmap mode you can add PMGs (there isn't any used).

I would use PRIOR0 with oring PMGs overlays:

Mario with PM0, |PM0 oring PF0|, |PM0 oring PF1| more red that must be PF0 or PF1

Girl the same but using PM1 more lilac that must be PF1 or PF 0

Kong will then be [PM2+PM3], |[PM2+PM3] oring PF2|

It's just a question of choosing the right (colour,luminance) for each of the PFs to get correct/nice oring PMGs. If, for example you have yellow (E,E) as PF2 then the Kong [PM2+PM3] as (F6) will get a nice 2nd colour in its light part as (F,E).

:)

I have played it using MyIDE-II on a stock NTSC 800XL with no problems. Is there a chance your XEX image is somehow corrupt?

What device(s) and loader(s) have you tried?

It works on both my 800 and my 800XL. Each are NTSC machines.

I've used binary file loaders Fenders 3-sector boot, PicoBoot, MyPicoDOS, AspeQt's integral loader..

I tried ATRs using my SIO2PC USB cable with SIO2BSD and AspeQt software.

I also had success with the ATRs via my SDrive.

I forgot to try SDrive's binary file loader.

-SteveS

I am using a SIO2SD device.

The file is Donkey Kong Arcade.xex above.