IGNORED

C64 Instant Repair! (by lifting it up a few inches and dropping it)

It's about my C64 again, well normally it works like a charm, but occasionally it acts up, like this:

When I power it on, the picture comes up almost like normal, except one of those two things:

• Each character on the screen seems to have a different color, giving me a very colorful display, but these colors are "fixed" for each character, so no matter what I try, they'll never change
  • All over the screen (but only inside the main area, where the characters are not the border) are some dots lit up, giving a display that almost looks like RF interference (despite using S-Video), but if you look closely you see that each character square on screen has the exact same anomaly.

(Never had both occur at the same time, but I can't know if it is mutually exclusive.)

Again, it happens very rarely, and usually when I hadn't powered on the computer at all for a while (like a couple of weeks). But when it happens, it stays that way even when I power it off and then on again.

But, the magical fix, which always works instantly:

1. Power off

2. Lift the C64 by a couple of inches

3. Drop it back on the table

4. Power on

And Tada, everthing is fine! :D

I figure there are propably solder joints which are weak, but who could tell me where to look for them? I certainly do not wish to reflow the entire board ;)

Yeah, I could always "just live with it", as rarely as it occurs and as quickly as it can be corrected, but then I don't feel comfortable with dropping the C64, even if it's only a few inches, on a semi-regular basis, and also from my experience with electronic equipment of all kinds is that those kinds of "quick and easy fixes" tend to make the original problem even worse in the long run

Edited by Herbarius

The Apple III was prone to spitting out it's chips and lifting it and dropping it 3 inches was the official repair practice.

That's if lifting it didn't give you a hernia and it didn't crush your desk. (ok... so it wasn't THAT heavy)

From what I've read this was mainly an issue in the first ones. Later revisions fixed this... but it's image had already been stained and this is what it's most remembered for.