IGNORED

GT5 again

Reaperman

I can't believe how long I've been waiting for Gran Turismo 5, after buying my ps3 for it years ago.  This week's E3 finally showed a good number of solid details, and a beefy hands-on demo on the show floor.  The game is to the point where it's obviously near release.  It's taken a while but GT5 looks to be a title that will raise the bar for all future console driving sims. I'm back to being a much less cynical GT5 fan, anybody else?

Major confirmed features:

• November 2, 2010 North American release (no other regions have had a launch date since the march 2010 japanese release date blew by)
  • ~1000 cars, ~200 "premium" cars with huge detail, and about 800 "standard" cars.
    • premium cars have details like full damage, detailed interiors and modeled undercarriages
    • standard cars have only recently been seen.  (
      ).  These are the upscaled GT4 carryovers, and *may* have black interiors as seen in gt-psp.  They still look pretty good

[*]GT5 is the first game in the series with damage (see damage/effect trailer)

• can effect physics
    • panel separation on premium cars
    • dirt scratches and dents on all cars

[*]high beam headlights for premium models

[*]reverse lights confirmed

[*]day/night transition in long races (demoed at e3)

[*]head tracking with the ps3-eye for looking around interior cockpits and through corners (demoed at e3)

[*]3d support for compatible TVs (demoed at e3)

[*]photo mode returns with greatly increased resolution

[*]expanded online, with BBS, mail, personal logs, private races, "my lounge" and online spectator mode

[*]WRC rally licence (previous gt's have had 'unlicensed' rally races)

[*]Official NASCAR license

[*]rollover now part of physics model

[*]crowds are dynamic, and change based on race type.  (example: tents for long races)

[*]supports advanced wheel features like feedback, clutch and shifter pods.  (not really 'news' since gt5p and time trial demos have too)

[*]real tuning returns after being missing from GT5P, time trial demo and GT-PSP.

[*]Premium version of the game announced includes 1:43 GTR model, driving book and key chain

[*]little info on tracks, but the E3 demo featured 10 new tracks including the top gear test track.

There are two new big things that make this game feel very ready at this E3. They are the large hands-on demo showing off almost all of the games proposed features, and that creator Kazunori Yamauchi is on hand, answering almost every question thrown his way in a much more direct way than GT fans are used to.  He even gave my Gran Turismo forum an interview, and their questions were very specific.

granturismo5e32010screet.th.jpg

I never gave up. :) As much as it pissed me off that they kept breaking their deadlines, I'd be that much more excited with what they added, polished or changed.

I mean, honestly, if GT5 was a big version of Prologue and was released back then, it probably would have felt fairly dated, despite the good graphics. This is definitely more like what I would hope for from a "next gen" GT, and it's going to be really hard to top this one.

This is one of those games that were shown that made me giddy.

This has been going on so long that I'd forgotten about Gran Turismo altogether. Meanwhile, the Forza series has been awesome and helped me to forget. I don't own either (but everybody else I know has a 360). So this game ***BETTER**** kick some serious ass. As much as I've loved the GT series, this game could possibly get me interested in PS3 as I wasn't, for the most part. Here's to hoping it's ridiculously awesome! :thumbsup: (That screenshot certainly bodes well)

Hopefully the NASCAR cars are a lot more realistic than the stock cars in Forza 3. Maybe I'm just paranoid but why do I get this sinking feeling that "premium" cars means they'll be DLC that I've got to pay extra for?

Edited by HammR25

I mean, honestly, if GT5 was a big version of Prologue and was released back then, it probably would have felt fairly dated, despite the good graphics. This is definitely more like what I would hope for from a "next gen" GT, and it's going to be really hard to top this one.

There was a time I think that I would have been happy with an upscaled GT4 with an online mode and a string of DLC to keep it current. But this is so much more. I wonder if Japan's getting it earlier (they usually get GT a couple months before north america).

It took me a long time to be okay with GT5 NASCAR. I like varied corners, I like scenery, and I don't like how the only GT5P online race I seem to see other people on is an oval. But ovals are big business, and they'll be popular in GT5 no matter what. Might as well make them official. And now that gt5 is showing the proper cars, proper tracks, excellent physics and a hot new damage model, it will be the best console stock car racing game--how couldn't it be? Those EA games were terrible.

There was a time I think that I would have been happy with an upscaled GT4 with an online mode and a string of DLC to keep it current. But this is so much more. I wonder if Japan's getting it earlier (they usually get GT a couple months before north america).

It took me a long time to be okay with GT5 NASCAR. I like varied corners, I like scenery, and I don't like how the only GT5P online race I seem to see other people on is an oval. But ovals are big business, and they'll be popular in GT5 no matter what. Might as well make them official. And now that gt5 is showing the proper cars, proper tracks, excellent physics and a hot new damage model, it will be the best console stock car racing game--how couldn't it be? Those EA games were terrible.

Yea, you took the words from my mouth man. I remember dloading a demo for a Nascar game on the 360 a while back, and thought to myself "is this a joke or something?" when I was playing it. I can't describe it, but the textured almost looked arcady, almost cartoony. Everything was stylized and over saturated. That and the gameplay was horrible, but I kinda at least expected that...

Perhaps this is a little too 'wishlisty' but my favorite part of a proper Gran Turismo game is actually the careful resource management at the beginning of the game. (because of this I frequently restart and thrust extra rules upon myself.) Real choices have to be made in terms of money early on, and it's a great deal of fun.

One thing I'd always hoped for in the series is that gran turismo would make resources a little scarcer, or perhaps gave some options for doing as much at the start of a career mode. Maybe charges for damage and consumables--and total removal of the easiest way to break the career mode, prize cars.

Perhaps this is a little too 'wishlisty' but my favorite part of a proper Gran Turismo game is actually the careful resource management at the beginning of the game. (because of this I frequently restart and thrust extra rules upon myself.) Real choices have to be made in terms of money early on, and it's a great deal of fun.

One thing I'd always hoped for in the series is that gran turismo would make resources a little scarcer, or perhaps gave some options for doing as much at the start of a career mode. Maybe charges for damage and consumables--and total removal of the easiest way to break the career mode, prize cars.

Actually, one thing I never liked about GT, and one reason I rarely "finished" one, was the fact that it seemed the only time that I could beat many races were buying the "right part", and no matter how well I would drive, the AI would take me over simply because I didn't get that part. When I did, then the race would be much too easy, and it wouldn't feel like a challenge.

It's one reason why honestly I loved PSP's GT and GT5P because I didn't have these parts to worry about anymore. If I lost a race in a car others were driving, it was 95% likely that it was because I just didn't drive well enough.

Now, do I want the parts to disappear.. no, it would be nice to upgrade them. However, I'd like it to be more balanced and the success in your career less reliant on what's in your car.

I think that's due as much to the standard gt 'career mode' being too rigid in terms of AI grid performance and requiring constant car purchase and upgrade. The career mode seems built from a mentality that every gamer wants to get into the fastest car possible, but didn't take into account that he might actually try to get into the fastest car possible. ...if that makes any sense.

To fix it, I say there needs to be a 'relative performance' aspect to the AI cars in more races.

One thing somewhat related that I've thought could be easily improved in GT is this 'performance ramping' in the game. If somebody likes kei cars, there's pretty much only 5 beginner-difficulty races to use them in. There is no way to 'get serious' about the car you're in before it's upgrade time. There's no option for having a 'kei world racing series,' against highly tuned cars in the class, with harder AI, over longer races, on all of the tracks. If he wanted a harder race, he'd have to get into a faster car. The closest gt4 came to getting it right were the 2-lap 'family cups' where competing cars were chosen relative in power to your own--and the entire race setup in GT-PSP did an even better job, by allowing the length of races to be set. (it's about the only part of gt-psp that resonated with me)

I'd like to see tons of options for creating custom races and series. Really the GT4 family cup is all I do these days, because it simply never gets old. I just wish they were longer, and let me set car entry requirements.

Edited by Reaperman

I get what you're saying. Basically, they never figured you'd get the "awesome" car in the race's class that would blow you past the competition to the point you were bored.

I would like to see what you were talking about. The way I see it is, while Ferraris are cool and all, most of us don't drive them. Most of us have our attachments to cars that we can afford.

For instance, I drive a Mini Cooper S. Mini Coopers have been a staple in racing for many many many years, and there's even the Mini Challenge in Europe, which is like Nascar here but with varied tracks and nothing but Minis. However, as much as I love this car, it doesn't take you very long before you start earning cars that are really far beyond the Mini's capabilities, and at that point I basically have a car that while I love, it'll just rot in my garage because I'll never need it.

The way I see it, if I was in charge of GT5, I wouldn't make it the way it is now where you go from the slowest car to the fastest. I'd have the upcoming races varied. One might be a Nascar race, the next a WRC, the next a Mini Challenge, the next an all compact Ford challenge, ect ect. I think it would be more exciting, and allow people to race more cars than ones with 100000HP :P .

I love going fast and all, but for me, racing in a Mini is like no other experience. You are glued to the corners and acceleration on a modded Mini, like mine, is freakin' amazing. I'd love to see more detail in that respect for that car, and other "lower end" sports vehicles. Hopefully they'll dive more into the "culture" of these cars, and find out the part makers for these cars and include them in the game. I'd love to see a Mini Cooper S or GT decked out with M7, Alta, and Mini Mania parts :D.

EDIT: and one last thing. I'd also like to see more accurate paint schemes available. GT5P had Mini Coopers in it for example, but it was missing tons of the colors available, including mine, the bright yellow "Liquid Yellow". I'd also like them to include not only the new 2nd Gen Minis, but the 1st gen (with all colors available), Clubman, classic, and the new models coming out this year like the Countryman.

A few more reasons to buy GT5 just in case you didn't want to already...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/21/gran-turismo-5-includes-track-editor-weather-and-go-karts/

Yea.. this is going to be amazing..

I know it's all over the internet, and comes from a pretty good source, but that's a helluva secret to keep under wraps for so long.

Maybe just a little too much for me to believe before I see it.

I just hope it's not one of those new features that accompanies another delay.

A few more reasons to buy GT5 just in case you didn't want to already...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/21/gran-turismo-5-includes-track-editor-weather-and-go-karts/

Yea.. this is going to be amazing..

I know it's all over the internet, and comes from a pretty good source, but that's a helluva secret to keep under wraps for so long.

Maybe just a little too much for me to believe before I see it.

I just hope it's not one of those new features that accompanies another delay.

Nah, they wouldn't have gone so far as to have Kevin Butler say GT5 was the next racer to come out this year in his little commercials if they weren't 100% sure by now.

I just can't wait to see rain, especially through the cockpit view. I'm sure it'll beat the pants off the new F1 game Codemasters is making, and that already looks amazing enough.

• 1 month later...

karting confirmed

skidmarks at last

track editor confirmed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBAkGkzRqjs

Rather than being a fully featured editor – a feature that, Yamauchi confessed, was tinkered with but deemed too complex – the course maker allows players to select certain set parameters to create a track. A theme can be selected, with the Belgian High Fens or Toscana two examples, and the individual track sectors are then defined.

Sectors are edited individually, with frequency of curves, sharpness of corners, degree of topography and banking angle are set with a series of sliders.

We’ve seen changing light and, recently, weather. Will this be available on all tracks?

“Not on all tracks, but some.”. We’d imagine that tracks with 24 hour races are more likely to see diurnal cycles, but whether you can race the ‘Ring in snow… at this point it is still up in the air.

Would this include a livery editor?

“Probably not for GT5, though it’s certainly on our list of things to work on…”.

• 5 weeks later...

Well TGS is upon us, and this is probably the last look at GT5 before early november.

Some odds and ends confirmed:

browser-based gaming (with b-spec racing)

new tracks (leguna seca, el capitan, trial mountain)

new cars (vintage vw's and some kind of prototype called the x1)

variable weather effects during races

Anyway, I'm really ready for this game. About 2 years ago I bought my ps3 specifically for the playing of GT5. I am noticing that I'm not seeing rollovers in vids anymore, and it was dropped from recent store demos (check your local retailers)

here's the 3 big new trailers:

TGS 2010 Trailer (features new tracks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN6ggDfaBJ0&feature=player_embedded

Weather effects (new cars)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yWpZpsmBaQ&feature=player_embedded

Prototype X1 car (link to a clear version on that vid, not yet on youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cakQxOwhAwk

Edited by Reaperman

• 4 weeks later...

It's amazing how long this has taken. The Forza guys have pretty much stolen the ball (to me) but if GT5 is as good as I hope it to be, it might be a reason to think about getting a PS3 for me.

I agree, if Forza 3 were simply on a system that took normal wheels I'd be playing it today. GT5 'might' catch Polyphony Digital up to Turn 10, but as far as I'm concerned PD has been behind since Forza 2, and by more than just a little.

Edited by Reaperman

• 3 weeks later...