IGNORED

GT5 again

Reaperman

well the new patch is live (1.06), and I came right back to GT5 like I haven't learned my lesson yet...

A lot of little things are changed and fixed, and as usual the change log is pretty well useless so it will take days to actually figure it all out. Some of it seems very useful, especially in the tuning page. (hp limiter, car ballast, individual gear ratios now adjustable)

The big news is the new 'online b-spec' where you can race your little man against your friends' little men right in your web browser. You get even less control over the race, losing control of your driver's mood, car choice, and tune--which was previously about the only control you had. It also seems that you earn exactly nothing for the experience (seemingly no money or xp), and the race, or even detailed timing, can't be viewed unless you're sitting in front of your ps3. huh?

huh...

edit: well, it seems they do earn credits, just not a helluva lot of them. I can't say anything about xp for sure though. My level 0 seems to have earned just over 2,000cr but still has nothing in his xp or career bar. Could be slack in those updates though, I suppose. The website does have some information delay, a lot in some areas, like when adding friends.

Edited by Reaperman

Well I sat down with the 1.06 update some more. Credit where it's due, 1.06 is by far the biggest update yet. It adds new features, fixes serious issues, and provides a good number of minor tweaks. Not sure I'm a GT5 fan yet, but I suppose I probably have been one all along, I just refuse to admit to it.

Remote racing does provide a heavy income stream, provided one has a good number of active ingame friends. It's done a good job of pulling the community together a bit in just a day. There still seems to be something wrong with individual driver xp though. Everywhere I check, my drivers seem to have different levels, and sometimes when I check back they even seem to decrease to what they were when they went online.

Oh and you can borrow shared cars from your friends now too. It's pretty nice, actually.

Performance points are back and welcome. Now we have better gauges on performance than just HP and weight. The simple number (seems) to take into account HP, weight, and grip (both tires and downforce?). There is still a lot of figuring left in this area.

There are some complaining about force feedback changes, and maybe it's my imagination, but the game feels different. I checked with my test car and track and I'm faster than I was too--since I'm no better than I was, something else has been tweaked somewhere. It could be a tweak to the grip model doing both of those.

Edited by Reaperman

• 1 month later...

I hit level 30 and unlocked the Vettle challenge in the special races.

hahaaa, yeah.

I tried the Monza track first. I did it in 2:14:something and got bronze. The next time qualification for a silver is 2:05:something...

It took me like 30 minutes (mulitple tries) to just complete the 2 laps and get a legit time. All my previous attempts I could not

complete a single lap.

I cannot see how in the hell I'm going

to get a 2:05, let alone 2:04 time for a gold in that challenge. Flippin Hard!!

@Reaperman...

Yea, me and my buddies will do that. One of us will open a lounge, we hop in, and the host determines HP for the race. Then we all find something exact or comparable.

Or favorite are those 60's C800 race Hondas (yellow with the red stripe). We take those out on the Nurbergring!

Ya, the cuppacinos too!

• 2 months later...

Tonight's when the next patch will hit, along with some kind of online event. Maintenance is 10-11 eastern, then (I'd assume) the patch goes live.

And like an idiot, here I am on my PS3 waiting for it to happen. I know Shift 2 is the better racer for PS3 users, but part of me still wants GT5 to somehow turn itself into a better experience. Of course, the bar is a few notches higher now, and I just got bored out of my practice laps, turning to the web browser for entertainment.

Maybe it'll add all the rest of the stuff that was on the back of the box.

Not even the most positive of optimists expected that kind of update, but this is unreal.

Early reports say that driver outfit changes and a new song are the big news items. PP & HP are both displayed in tuning screen.

Lame.

The hell with this, I'm going to bed.

They claim to have improved the AI and the game now has a save race feature. They also fixed some issues but nothing was about online play.

Yes, but it's a shame that it's only for championship races and not for endurance races. The game still expects one driver to race all 24-hrs straight.

I don't think I'm going to bother with 1.10.

Edited by Reaperman

• 3 months later...

Some details on the "Spec 2.0" update planned for GT5 in late October:

• Simplified interior views added to all standard cars.
  • User control of the weather change feature.
  • Settings sheet which allows you to save multiple car settings.
  • New Spec 2.0 opening movie.
  • Improved UI response and usability.
  • Replay forward/rewind.
  • Mid-race save feature for endurance races.
  • Expanded online lounge features (narrowing down car types, shuffle races…).
  • Expanded Photo Travel features (you can now take photos of cars together with your avatar).
  • Added “NASCAR Pit Scene” stage to Photo Travel.
  • Added 11 new 2011 NASCAR models.
  • Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motorsport (the car in which Kazunori contested the 2011 Nurburgring 24 Hours).
  • Improved physics and artificial intelligence.
  • Support for the Logitech G25/G27 steering wheel.

Really it sounds fairly substantial. (link to story)

There are some screenshots in that link as well.

It's also worth noting that DLC was announced soon after this upgrade.

Edited by Reaperman

They claim to have improved the AI and the game now has a save race feature. They also fixed some issues but nothing was about online play.

I just noticed I posted this in June for the previous update but the Spec 2.0 patch has those same first two things listed.

Cockpit view should make the standard cars usable for me. I hate driving in any other view.

Personally I'm waiting to see what these UI updates bring--both to single player and the multiplayer experience. GT has never had a great UI, but GT5 is off the scale of awful. Presenting users with a positive experience is something pretty close to my lot in life, and it pains me to see the lack of functionality in this title.

Just fixing the UI would add so much to the game. Such as adding useful requirements to races or filtering lobby search results. Maybe have a main menu that loads quickly and is organized in a way that makes sense. Wading through GT5 menus fatigues me nearly as much as the wheel feedback in the rally races.

Baby steps. Then maybe next year they could finish up their profile system.

A major patch is pretty well required this year though. Forza 4 is looking damn good in previews.

Edited by Reaperman

How long has this game been on the market as a still-incomplete product???

A bit over 11 months (since nov 24). I also note that the whole time it's remained at $60 for some mysterious reason.

I doubt that the "Spec II" patch will make the game complete either, or even bring it up to a level of polish that I would consider average. I'm keeping a somewhat open mind, but there have been ~12 patches already.

Yes Forza 4 was released on 10/11/11 but did everyone get the Limited Edition one? I know I didn't even though I ordered it. Made me mad but what do you do when the company shorts you on them. I'm looking for one and going through the paces to try and get mine.

Yes Forza 4 was released on 10/11/11 but did everyone get the Limited Edition one? I know I didn't even though I ordered it. Made me mad but what do you do when the company shorts you on them. I'm looking for one and going through the paces to try and get mine.

Yeah that would piss me off to no end, cant you show them proof of what you paid for and make them give you the proper version ?

Yeah that would piss me off to no end, cant you show them proof of what you paid for and make them give you the proper version ?

I showed them the receipt for it but they ran out of the limited edition. Apparently they ordered enough but got shorted from the manufacturer. There wasn't a whole lot they could do about it. I did call the night before and said I would be in late. I didn't get there til after work and didn't get one. I heard Best Buy had the same problem and there are none in the area. Best Buy told their customers that they have til tomorrow to decide if they want to still get the limited edition or take the regular edition. Gamestop took my name and number and will call their DM to tell him about it. They also said if they send more out they will call me and I can trade in the regular edition they gave for the limited edition. I'm not pissed at Gamestop there was nothing they could do about it. I collect comics too and this happens all the time. I don't know if Microsoft under produced the limited edition but I'm not happy with them. They shorted GS and I got hosed. :_( Thing that will really piss me off is if I can't get a limited edition set unless I go to eBay and then I'll have to pay through the nose for one. :mad: I went to one GS in Boardman, OH and they didn't even have the regular edition let alone the limited one. She even checked the other stores in the area but no luck. Anybody got an extra limited edition they'd be willing to part with?

Edited by vrocko

• 10 months later...

Can someone please tell me when GT5 has 100% locked V-Sync? Or is that never going to happen???? I'm still appalled that they took 'this' long to release an engine with Variable V-Sync... imho, a complete waste of time. It could look like Crytek 25.0 for all I care... if the engine is tearing, then it's all wasted effort.