IGNORED

Sear Tele game Pong System

Sean39

Hi Everyone

I have been up here before and on other Forums. I need to know one question .. When Atari First Started to make the Pong

systems for Sears in 1975 under the name Tele Games What serial Number did they start out at???

I have seen many of the White Color Tele Game Pong Systems. I have one with the Serial # A 90371

Now on the Chip in side is the Date code 7540..

Now is 1975 in the 40th week.... Has anyone come accross an older Serial number and Date code on the inside Chip???

I just thought it the A 90371 actually stands for the 90,371 unit made what happen to all the units made befor this one.

Any help would be great

Thanks Sean

post-17711-127736023296_thumb.jpg

post-17711-127736027592_thumb.jpg

post-17711-127736033631_thumb.jpg

post-17711-12773603861_thumb.jpg

HI Everyone I noticed a lot of people read the post but had no comments or anything to say.

I really need some help with this. I know Atari started making Pong systems for Sears before

they even put one out under their name. Does anyone know when Atari started to do this??? Also

does anyone have a an older Serial Number on their Tele Game Unit??? Surely This cannot be the

oldest one around.

Please help thank you very much Sean

Edited by Sean39

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I guess this thread was really no good to start. I see many people read it but no was able to help me with thos question.

Anyways thanks for reading it at least... I really hope there is someone who can help me with my question.

Thanks

Sean

Hi everyone

I guess this thread was really no good to start. I see many people read it but no was able to help me with thos question.

Anyways thanks for reading it at least... I really hope there is someone who can help me with my question.

Thanks

Sean

Hi Sean,

About the serial, that i can't answer since i don't make records of any serials of Dedicated Pongs.

But as for the dedicated chip you took in a picture, that one is the second version (-2).

There is 3 models of the "3659" that i know: "3659-1 or 3659-1B or 3659-1C" (1st version), "3659-2" (second version)

and "3659-3" (3rd version found only in the Sears Tele-Games Pong IV model 99717. Some are made by

Synertek or AMI and can be in plastic or ceramic casings. All version of dedicated chips are the same,

even the 3659-3 which people thinks it's a 4-player version of the 3659-1 and 3659-2 which is not true,

all 3659 version can either be a 2 or 4 players version (this info is not written anywhere, just

found it by myself). The earliest "3659" i know (so far) is dated 7538 (1975 - 38th week).

Hope this helps you out. :)

--- Sly DC ---

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Thanks

Sean

Hi Sean,

About the serial, that i can't answer since i don't make records of any serials of Dedicated Pongs.

But as for the dedicated chip you took in a picture, that one is the second version (-2).

There is 3 models of the "3659" that i know: "3659-1 or 3659-1B or 3659-1C" (1st version), "3659-2" (second version)

and "3659-3" (3rd version found only in the Sears Tele-Games Pong IV model 99717. Some are made by

Synertek or AMI and can be in plastic or ceramic casings. All version of dedicated chips are the same,

even the 3659-3 which people thinks it's a 4-player version of the 3659-1 and 3659-2 which is not true,

all 3659 version can either be a 2 or 4 players version (this info is not written anywhere, just

found it by myself). The earliest "3659" i know (so far) is dated 7538 (1975 - 38th week).

Hope this helps you out. :)

--- Sly DC ---

Thanks I have a really old Sears Tele Game System,and it will blow your mind on the chip date.

It still comes no where close I think to the first one made but it is very early. I will post pictures of it up here. It has a chip older than 7538

in it.

Sean

Hi everyone

Ok please take note of the Serial number and the date on the chip. Date on Chip is 7537 look very close.

What I don't get is that it has a 3659-3 chip inside. I am just wondering how a third version of the Chip can have

such a old date on it and it in a lower Serial Number unit.

It really makes no sense at all since you would think it would have a 3659-1 chip with a Date code of 7537 on it..,but instead a 3659-3 with

date code of 7537 on it. I told you this would blow your mind.

Have any answers to this one because I would like to sure know how a version 3 chip has such an old date on it.

Serial # A 60186 Super low for a serial number lower than the last one I posted up here.

Sean39

Sear Tele game 1.bmp

Sear Tele game 3.bmp

Sear Tele game 2.bmp

Hi Sly DC

I read what you put up and it makes alot of Sense. How do we explane the Sears Tele Game Pong Unit I have.

It has a 3659-3 Chip Dated 7537 and it you look at my attachments you will see this. The Serial Number on the unit is A 60186

Which is lower than the first unit I posted in the first place... This really does not make any sense at all. I know the lower

the Serial number the older the unit should be and the chip does date older. It just strange it a 3 generation chip.

Please help on this

Sean39

Hiya Sean,

I read it here, too, but also have no answer why. All I can think to say is sloppy coding of the dates/chips, lack of quality control in that area of things.

Or...

That particular unit was made from older stock of chips that were ready to be used after the case was made, and the chips were brought back out, many years later.

Hiya Sean,

I read it here, too, but also have no answer why. All I can think to say is sloppy coding of the dates/chips, lack of quality control in that area of things.

Or...

That particular unit was made from older stock of chips that were ready to be used after the case was made, and the chips were brought back out, many years later.

Hi Nathan

Well what does not make sense is the Serial Number is very low on the Unit and I know they went in order with the Serial

numbers when producing theses things.

I posted one with the Serial # A 90371 and it has a Chip 3659-2 7540 date

Now my other unit has a Serial # A 60186 and it has a Chip 3659-3 7537 date code ( This is reall strange)

The only thing I can guess is that the 3659-3 stamp should have been a 3659-1 with the 7537 date code on it.

The only reason I say this is the Date code correspond to the time of the Serial number.

A 90371 7540

A 60186 7537

Really the date code is correct for the Serial number.

Thanks

Sean39

Hi This is Sean39

Please download this photo of the Chip inside of my Sears Tele Game Pong System and let me know

if this would be the chip found in a Early unit with the Serial number A 60186 . The date code shows 7537

which would be 1975 in the 37 week...

I know my other init has a serial # A 90371 and has a chip that dated in 7540 for 1975 in the 40th week.

The chips both have different appearances.. Anyways Just thought this may help in this really strange mystery

Why they appear so different.

You will have to download the picture of the chip to see it

Thanks Sean39

Sear Tele game 3.bmp

Edited by Sean39

Hi sean

Well if you look at the other pongs that Dick has for sale youll see one that has the serial number A93035 with a chip dating the same week as your first one but with a 3659-1b. So it seems that sears wasnt very accurate at putting chips in the pong units when they were built. Thats a newer unit with an older chip correct. It may just remain a mystery. though it could be something simple. It may have been left in the factory and when a new chip came out they may have replaced it. Im not sure myself but i dont think theres anyway to figure it out. The only two people who may know are David winter and Adrian Scheel of http://www.console-picture-page.de/catalog/ . He has more pongs than anyone I know of.

Edited by njb12287

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sean,

Sorry for the late reply, been quite busy these past weeks.

I can't explain it myself to why you have a 3659-3 chip that has an earlier production

than the 3659-1. I could only speculate that when Atari were making the order for Sears,

they were afraid to get "short" in their 3659 chips orders from the companies that were

making them for Atari (AMI, MOS Technology, Synertek and surely others companies) to

complete the 150,000 units for the Xmas 1975 season.

Because usually when you have a "-" dash after the part number, it's for a revision. So

there's 4 known revisions (to date): 3659-1B, 3659-1C, 3659-2 and 3659-3.

Here's a list of revisions and dates i have for now:

* 3659-1B / 7540

* 3659-1B / 7542

* 3659-1B / 7543

* 3659-1B / 7545

* 3659-1C / 7551

* 3659-2 / 7538

* 3659-2 / 7540

* 3659-2 / 7547

* 3659-2 / 7552

* 3659-3 / 7537

* 3659-3 / 7550

* 3659-3 / A760 (yup, A760 = 1st week 1976)

But to really have an answer to this mystery, i suggest that you contact

the GURU of Atari History, namely Curt Vendel! He has a humongous database

of everything Atari. He greatly helped me out with the Atari Game Brain C-700

and the Atari Stunt Cycle.

If Curt doesn't have this info, maybe David Winter but David has more infos about

the Magnavox Odyssey (he even has original blueprints of the Odyssey) and for

Adrian Scheel (of Pong-Picture-Page, he has the BIGGEST collection of dedicated

Pongs i know, near 850!!), he could answer some specific infos on any Pongs

he has but he collects Pongs by their design, not the electronic or chip stuffs.

So you have a very early production, the earliest one i know for now (7537).

Contact Curt, he surely have some papers about this in his Atari "Ali Baba

Cavern". ;)

--- Sly DC ---

Edited by slydc

Hi Everyone

I want to thank everyone for your help. I really started collecting the Sears Tele Game Pong Systems to

see how low of a Serial number I could find. These are the two of the Lowest Serial numbers I have ever came across.

I really was not looking at the Chips till now. The Serial number was what I was searching for.. In the hopes the Lower

The Serial number the older the unit would be. I am not sure how low the Serial numbers go that were produced under Sears,

but I imagine there are lower ones than the two I found.

Thank you guys for all the help.

Sean39 I really find this stuff cool to learn about.

Hi Everyone

I want to thank everyone for your help. I really started collecting the Sears Tele Game Pong Systems to

see how low of a Serial number I could find. These are the two of the Lowest Serial numbers I have ever came across.

I really was not looking at the Chips till now. The Serial number was what I was searching for.. In the hopes the Lower

The Serial number the older the unit would be. I am not sure how low the Serial numbers go that were produced under Sears,

but I imagine there are lower ones than the two I found.

Thank you guys for all the help.

Sean39 I really find this stuff cool to learn about.

No problem Sean,

Glad that everyone here could helped you, that's what forums are for!! :)

--- Sly DC ---

Sly i do know Ianoid. I talk to him every once in a while.

And ya i am a pretty exclusive Odyssey Collector. Along with Ianoid i beleive im the only other person in the US to have a Complete odyssey collection with all the games and the blue Cartridge. There may be another one or two. Check out my collection page in the collection section.

Sly i do know Ianoid. I talk to him every once in a while.

And ya i am a pretty exclusive Odyssey Collector. Along with Ianoid i beleive im the only other person in the US to have a Complete odyssey collection with all the games and the blue Cartridge. There may be another one or two. Check out my collection page in the collection section.

Hi again!

I known Ianoid for more than a decade now and we recently made some great trades!

I just checked your Odyssey collection and i must say it's fantastic! Be very proud

of your collection. (i'm drooling here...) :)

You can add a 6th blue card since i have one with both manuals of the games but the

one i have doesn't have holes in it. Got it with a Odyssey in the briefcase plus

with the rifle gun found near the capital in the province of Quebec by a friend in 1999.

Still have everything since then and i just tested it last month (was wayyy deep in storage).

I've asked you if you knew Inaoid becase i was wondering if it was you who sent a scan

to Ianoid of the video output schematic done by M.Baer himself for the Odyssey 1. If it

is you, then i thanking you directly since i asked Ianoid to thank the person who sent

the video output scan. :)

Also, are you going to get a Telematch de Panoramic J-5 ? It's the Brazilian clone of

the Odyssey 1 but it doesn't take "jumper" carts, you select 5 games (hence the J-5 for

Jogos-5) by push buttons and it has a unique game of Soccer with 2 walls with goals (holes).

There's some from time to time that pops-up on Mercado Brazil for less than $100 and costs

about $30 to ship by EMS. Got one from a friend in Uruguay and took only 9 days to get it.

I don't really collect all systems, games and accessories. Just got another Odyssey from

Ianoid so that i can modify it with an video output and i also have about 10 others mods

i have in mind like putting sound(s), built-in overlays (no more sticking the overlays!),

etc...when i've finished with the Odyssey, it will become a Super Mega Odyssey...LOL!!!

I'll post every mods on my web site after they are all finished (and working too) one day.

Again, x2 :thumbsup: for your marvelous collection (man...my shirt is all wet of drooling)! ;)

--- Sly DC ---

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

This is the label of my Sears/Telegames PONG

post-10922-128411792684_thumb.jpg

I don't want to open it since it works it great condition (I think there's some dust inside the left paddle coil, but after 2-3 side-to-side sliding it works good...) so is there ways to know if it has a ceramic or plastic chip inside ?

post-10922-128411810458_thumb.jpg

( viewed on a PAL TV...)