IGNORED

Quick C64 question

I've been working on getting a Commodore DTV setup but I'm having a bit of an issue with the keyboard. When I get into BASIC it seems to be in some sort of shortcut mode. Most letters work fine, but when I push the "V" key for instance it types out "LOAD". "G" is a space and "H" is an "=". What is going on?

Thanks

Do you have some Cartridge attached?

Where did you get the computer from? Does it maybe have a modified EEPROM?

If it were just the issues with G and H putting out wrong characters, I would say there is some defect. But the V key typing out "LOAD" appears to hint at some intentional modification... (which also may have gone bad over time)

Edited by Herbarius

If it were just the issues with G and H putting out wrong characters, I would say there is some defect. But the V key typing out "LOAD" appears to hint at some intentional modification... (which also may have gone bad over time)

It's the C64 DTV. The joystick that was around a few years ago. I have a PS/2 keyboard hooked up to it. I must have soldered something wrong.

It's the C64 DTV. The joystick that was around a few years ago. I have a PS/2 keyboard hooked up to it. I must have soldered something wrong.

Oh, of course, I shpuld've paid more attention.

Well, I guess you should doublecheck where you soldered everything and compare it where it was supposed to go. :P Sorry, I can't really help you with that.

on the normal C64, the joysticks can both interfere with the keyscan and return false codes.

Both joysticks, are you sure? To my knowledge, and in my experience, the second joystick port doesn't do that.

Whatever, that it typed out "LOAD" on a single keystroke eliminates this possibiliy, that must be some DTV-specific feature (similar to something those "making your life easier"-cartridges for the normal C64 do)

EDIT: Wait a minute, does it type out LOAD and then "automatically presses RETURN", or in other words does it immediately ask you to "press play on tape"? That's actually what Shift+Run/Stop does on a normal C64.

So yeah, it seems you've got some wires soldered wrong.

Edited by Herbarius

EDIT: Wait a minute, does it type out LOAD and then "automatically presses RETURN", or in other words does it immediately ask you to "press play on tape"? That's actually what Shift+Run/Stop does on a normal C64.

So yeah, it seems you've got some wires soldered wrong.

Yes it types out LOAD with a carriage return.

I double checked everything and verified with an Oscope that the PS/2 signals were getting to the board. So everything is connected right as far as PS/2. If it's getting Shift+Run/Stop when I press V. Hmmm that's odd. All I can think of is that it's in some mode specific to the DTV.

That gives me something to think about, thanks!