IGNORED

Dating the Atari 2600 Systems

Sean39

Hi Everyone

Look I am very interested in finding out one thing. Atari Started making these Atari 2600 system in 1977.

Ok I have Serial number 57020 E with a date code inside of it that say 7722 which is 1977 in the 22nd week.

My question is to everyone and even the ones who worked at Atari also. What Serial number did Atari Start out with on the First Unit??

I know there had to be Heavy Sixer Units made before mine,but I have not seen any listed yet,but the number 57020 E tells me there

had to be many units before mine. It seems that the all the First 2600 units all had the Letter " E " following ther serial number.

I know this is a hard question to answer but really what was the first Serial number that was made or sold?????

I have wondered this for a very long time. Also since the first units were sold in 1977 did the first unit actually have

any chips in side of them with a date code like 7650 or in that range...

My serial number is 57020 E and it has date codes 7722 if we go back on the Serial numbers then the chips have to get older

with earlier date codes. So did the first 1977 machines actually have some Chips produced in 1976 inside of them?????

I mean the parts could be made before the unit even hit the market in 1977, and ther could be a possibility of having 1976 chips

in side of these units that were first sold in 1977. I talking about the very first Atari 2600's ever sold. Maybe like the first

100 units may have older parts than 1977 in them.

It only a thought.

Thanks

Sean

I have a dual sticker unit that has a serial number in the 17000's, I will have to check the date code on that when I get home (which will be a few days). I believe Bob Brown owns the first VCS off the assembly line, so you may be able to ask him what the serial number is.

Ho Do I get a hold of Bob to talk to him??

Sean

I have a dual sticker unit that has a serial number in the 17000's, I will have to check the date code on that when I get home (which will be a few days). I believe Bob Brown owns the first VCS off the assembly line, so you may be able to ask him what the serial number is.

Wow, thats really interesting. I'm very curious now to know the serial number of the first Atari. the serial numbering scheme seems to have started on an arbitrary number. And why start on E.

I give mine some wine and then ask if they want to come back to my place to play some games. Seems to work.

And here I thought you were a married man.

Ya got ya one of them there open relationships? I had heard there were some pretty liberal-minded folks in your neck of the woods.

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Ha ha th Dating comments. Ok back to all Serious note. Some of the Early Atari Pong system had letters following

the Serial numbers also. Then others had the letter before the Serial number . I have one Atari Pong System and the Serial

number is A 90371.

Why Atari Choose the Letter "E" after the serial number not sure. I am really wanting to know what the First

Serial number was used on the Atari 2600 systems too.

Mine is not a Double Sticker but I thought those were transistion units from the Heavy Sixers to the Light Sixers.

I could be wrong and if I am please correct me. Everyone mentions they were silver stickers and the newer Atari's used the Silver

boxes too,so I am really not sure.

I was hoping to find someone who knew for sure on this issue.

Thanks

Sean

Mine is not a Double Sticker but I thought those were transistion units from the Heavy Sixers to the Light Sixers. I could be wrong and if I am please correct me. Everyone mentions they were silver stickers and the newer Atari's used the Silver boxes too,so I am really not sure.

There are two kinds of double sticker units. Those with an original-style white sticker covering a second original-style white sticker, and those with a silver sticker covering an original-style white sticker. I don't think there's any question that the silver sticker units represent refurb units, but it's unclear what the double white sticker units represent. I don't believe that they are refurb units. I also don't believe that they are transitional units from the period between the H6 and L6. I have one of these double white sticker H6s and it doesn't have a channel select switch hole, which I would expect on a transitional unit from this period. Moreover, it appears that the early light sixers (those produced in Sunnyvale) retained the s/n format of the H6's during that transition. That transition appears to have occurred within the M to P batch serial numbers, and as far as serial numbers go, this transition appears to have been a smooth segue with both H6 and L6 units produced with M, N, and P batch serial #s.

Mine is not a Double Sticker but I thought those were transistion units from the Heavy Sixers to the Light Sixers. I could be wrong and if I am please correct me. Everyone mentions they were silver stickers and the newer Atari's used the Silver boxes too,so I am really not sure.

There are two kinds of double sticker units. Those with an original-style white sticker covering a second original-style white sticker, and those with a silver sticker covering an original-style white sticker. I don't think there's any question that the silver sticker units represent refurb units, but it's unclear what the double white sticker units represent. I don't believe that they are refurb units. I also don't believe that they are transitional units from the period between the H6 and L6. I have one of these double white sticker H6s and it doesn't have a channel select switch hole, which I would expect on a transitional unit from this period. Moreover, it appears that the early light sixers (those produced in Sunnyvale) retained the s/n format of the H6's during that transition. That transition appears to have occurred within the M to P batch serial numbers, and as far as serial numbers go, this transition appears to have been a smooth segue with both H6 and L6 units produced with M, N, and P batch serial #s.

Ok mine is only one sticker. Made in Sunnyvale,CA with SN 57020 E...

Now are these double Stickers in Heavy Sixers older than this Unit?

I am really new to knowing how this whole Serial number thing works. I know my unit has a Date code inside of ot from

7722 and I was told that was 1977 at the 22nd week. Now I know I was told there are units older than mine.

How much befire my unit were they making these things. I also wanted to know did the Serial numbers Start out with a "E" following them all???

Anyways I would love to find a unit that older than mine with a much older Serial Number.

Anyways I am open to being educated on this.

Sean

Ok mine is only one sticker. Made in Sunnyvale,CA with SN 57020 E...

Now are these double Stickers in Heavy Sixers older than this Unit?

I am really new to knowing how this whole Serial number thing works. I know my unit has a Date code inside of ot from

7722 and I was told that was 1977 at the 22nd week. Now I know I was told there are units older than mine.

How much befire my unit were they making these things. I also wanted to know did the Serial numbers Start out with a "E" following them all???

Anyways I would love to find a unit that older than mine with a much older Serial Number.

Anyways I am open to being educated on this.

Sean

There really aren't any definitive answers to your questions. It's possible that the double sticker units are the earliest H6ers. It's possible that the "E" batch H6ers are the earliest. It's all just speculation. Regardless, I think you have an early production unit. You should post a photo of your S/N sticker to the H6er thread.

Regarding the letters in the serial numbers, I'm not sure what they represent, but I know that a lot of bicycle manufacturers in the 1970's and 1980's used alphabetical letters to represent different months of the year on serial numbers of bikes. A for January, B for February, etc., for month of manufacture.

I was told that the double white stickers were refurbished units. I'm pretty sure I learned that from the Heavy Sixer thread, but like you said it's hard for anyone to know the real answer.

Do we know what the hidden white sticker says underneath?

I tried to lift mine up, but it wouldn't let me, even with the help of a hair dryer. That unit is no longer in my possession.

To me it doesn't make sense that the double white stickers were the original models. Why double sticker the originals?

Also, we know that some heavy sixer units came from overseas (Taiwan I believe). Is it possible that Atari mass produced a large number of heavy sixer shells in 1977 and sent the extras to Taiwan with stickers already on them? Then, when production of the systems began in Taiwan they slapped silver stickers over the top of the original stickers? This would mean that not all silver double stickers were refurbished. Just a theory.

Edited by shadowdoggie

I can think of all sorts of reasons why there would be two stickers on an original H6er. But it's all just pointless speculation. However, if everyone who owns a double white sticker unit were willing to crack them open and look for internal date codes and examine the MB configurations, we could compare them with the date codes/configurations found in what we believe are the earliest letter suffix units (E and R). That could establish at least the relative time frame of the double white sticker units.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Thanks For the Help on this. Sorry I was out so long,but got sick. Anyways yes I think the only way to truly date these units

is to date them by the Chips inside of them. They have date code on every chip inside the unit and even the RF Modulator has a date code

on it. Mine does not have a hole for switching the Channel since it only will work on one Channel. There is no switch inside of mine to

change the channel.

Anyways the date code found inside of my unit is 7722 Which breaks down to 1977 in the 22 week of the year.

Serial number is E 57020

Other than that I really cannot tell you much more.

Thanks Sean39

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your help. I would love to be able to talk to Bob Brown who has the oldest Atari.

I guess he not going to be coming up here,but it would still be nice to talk to him. I would love to know

The Serial number off his unit since it was the First one ever made. I still thank everyone else for all your

help on this subject.

I actually now found some of the Photos of my unit on the bottom. I will try and get tops photos later.

sorry the last photo shows the date code inside of my Atari 2600

7722 for 1977 in the 22nd week Look at the Post below for pictures of the insides and The top of the system.

Thanks

Sean39

post-17711-12801263306_thumb.jpg

post-17711-128012643661_thumb.jpg

post-17711-128012645215_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sean39

Also, there's no way to tell how long it was between when the chip was made and when the item it's in was assembled. Penny-pinchers like Atari are known to go after discounts by getting odd surplus lots, which may have been around awhile.

Of course, once they got successful and were making multi-millions of consoles per year, I wouldn't expect them to use anything but brand-new stock. But in the early years, anything goes. It's already known that early consoles had trouble-prone cartridge connectors. It's reported in the Field Service Manual that some IC sockets had issues too (though I've personally never seen any fitting the description). Atari also changed the design of the interconnect cable in the six-switchers, but I suspect that was for cost-cutting rather than reliability.