IGNORED

ColecoVision Super Donkey Kong Junior boxed on Ebay

Yurkie

Does anyone know if the game in this auction was ever released as a boxed homebrew?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1904087364541?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=190408736454&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Did his guy just make a cart and box?

Yah, I've had this on my watch list for a while, not certain of it's origin. I assume Luc or J-F would know. icon_confused.gif

I talked to J-F a while back about this since I could sense his handywork.

The cart is a re-release from one of the gaming shows so it is a valid cart of Super DK or JR forgot which one is on this ebay listing. I was lucky enough to find super DK and Super DK JR for 50 bucks each from some guy a while back so they do exist. But they were not produced with boxes just carts. So J-F like always likes to make boxes so he made the box for this. He says it is hard to see from picture on ebay but this was one of his early tries at a box so it is not even up to his quality of standards that he produces today. I don't think the guy selling it was the guy that got it from J-F so it is possible even he doesn't realize what he has.

Dan

Yeah, that was made by me awhile back when I first try to make CV boxes

They were at first, made for me and a couple of friends...

But some were sold on Ebay by an ex-member of CollectorVision .... well...

I even have some of them right here...

It looks somewhat like a CBS, The guy selling it is being vague and very misleading in my opinion if it is just something fan made.

Edit: seller answered my message about it. Seems he paid over $230 for it earlier this year. Probably felt like a fool and decided to see if some other sucker would buy it.

Edited by Yurkie

At least he has the better one of the two.

DKJr at least has a playable extra level even though it is easy.

The DK one you get on the level and it has no collision detection so you can just walk through things. It will be awesome to see the new Donkey Kong Arcade version I can tell you that.

From Digital Press:

Super DK

>>>An “enhanced” (unreleased) 32k version exists, known as Super Donkey Kong (the title screen says SUPER DK), that was released for the ADAM which has the >>>opening intro and all 4 screens, as well as all the little end-screen animations (Kong climbing ladder with Pauline, etc.). Also, some text was added - “Get >>>Ready Player 1 (or 2)” between levels, and “Game Over” when the game ends. Note that this is a modified version of the real ADAM Super Donkey Kong version.

Super DKJr

>>>An “enhanced” (unreleased) 32k version exists, known as Super Donkey Kong Junior (the title screen says SUPER DK JUNIOR), that was released for the ADAM which >>>has the original start-up tune, improved (climbing) sound f/x, and all 4 screens (including the Hideout – picture #1). Note that this is a modified version >>>of the real ADAM Super Donkey Kong Junior version, which includes a 5th screen as well as the intermission with DK Jr. hanging onto an umbrella (following >>>Mario’s helicopter) that were only accessible by entering a code. Adam's House sells the ADAM version (which says, “RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC DOMAIN” on the >>>title screen).

I can't find where I read it but supposedly these enhanced unreleased versions were copied and re-released in some gaming show and if I can remember the article correctly I think they were given away as part of the show and everyone stormed the area to try and get them.

However like I said I can't find where I read it so who knows what my beer filled brain cells remember :)

It looks pretty good. I did a request label for Yurkie some months back for a Super DK jr. Wasn't sure if you guys saw it. I don't think I put it in the Colecovision Labels Thread.

post-9874-127820599131_thumb.jpg

It looks pretty good. I did a request label for Yurkie some months back for a Super DK jr. Wasn't sure if you guys saw it. I don't think I put it in the Colecovision Labels Thread.

post-9874-127820599131_thumb.jpg

You did a great job on that label.

I thought it would be cool to make up some Super DKJ carts sometime, but I would sell them as homebrews of an existing binary if I did.

Don't you need a special module or the actual ADAM to play Super Donkey Kong?I saw SDK JR. a while back on Ebay.I always wondered what it was about, or what the story is about the Super CV games.

Edited by Rik

Don't you need a special module or the actual ADAM to play Super Donkey Kong?I saw SDK JR. a while back on Ebay.I always wondered what it was about, or what the story is about the Super CV games.

No, you don't need any additional hardware on the ColecoVision to play the Super Donkey Kong Prototype Cart or the Super Donkey Kong Jr. Prototype Cart. I am not sure where exactly these versions came from, but I would have to assume from one of Coleco's development teams were responsible for it. You have to realize that they had a couple years under their belts in programming the ColecoVision, so adding all the extra bells and whistles to these carts as well as the fourth level to each game and fitting it with a 32K ROM was possible. If memory serves me right, the original Donkey Kong cart that came with the ColecoVision in 1982 was 24K in size, then later they fixed some bugs and tightened up the code and the updated version was 16K.

Don't let the "SUPER" in the name confuse you, these were actual cartridges or the eprom chips that someone got a hold of and dumped to a rom file for use with emulators. The Coleco ADAM Computer versions were called "SUPER" also, but they were only originally released on Digital Data Packs (very similar looking to an audio cassette) and then later these were converted to 5 1/4" Disk format.

Hope this helps.

Jim

No, you don't need any additional hardware on the ColecoVision to play the Super Donkey Kong Prototype Cart or the Super Donkey Kong Jr. Prototype Cart. I am not sure where exactly these versions came from, but I would have to assume from one of Coleco's development teams were responsible for it. You have to realize that they had a couple years under their belts in programming the ColecoVision, so adding all the extra bells and whistles to these carts as well as the fourth level to each game and fitting it with a 32K ROM was possible. If memory serves me right, the original Donkey Kong cart that came with the ColecoVision in 1982 was 24K in size, then later they fixed some bugs and tightened up the code and the updated version was 16K.

Don't let the "SUPER" in the name confuse you, these were actual cartridges or the eprom chips that someone got a hold of and dumped to a rom file for use with emulators. The Coleco ADAM Computer versions were called "SUPER" also, but they were only originally released on Digital Data Packs (very similar looking to an audio cassette) and then later these were converted to 5 1/4" Disk format.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Yes!, it does indeed!,thank you!