IGNORED

Atari STE IDE questions

I've did little someting for 16bit Atari some time ago, but it was not programmed for a while

now i'm looking for quick way to test it, thus my question

is there any (QUICK) way for user to know if and what disk (TOS 2.06 compatible IDE disk that is) is connected to his machine?

single step procedure would be the best

whole thing is for STE/STFM computers that have space for blitter chip on motherboard

here are some pictures:

ste-ide.jpg

ste-ide-fit.jpg

Hi Candle,

Machines prior to the Falcon only talked via the ACSI bus to the various hard drives. Which would mean that all standard hard disk drivers would not know how to communicate with your device. So what is needed here is obviously a custom driver (maybe Atari's with the ACSI comms removed and replaced with the address space of your device).

In short, more info about this device is needed :)

(P.S. looks like a very neat interface! Well done!)

Hi Candle,

Machines prior to the Falcon only talked via the ACSI bus to the various hard drives. Which would mean that all standard hard disk drivers would not know how to communicate with your device.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK TOS 2.06 contains an IDE boot routine and thus should be capable of booting from this device.

Thorsten

exacly

TOS 2.06 is capable of booting from IDE disk

they simply omitted it in hardware, so there are various add-ons cards that utilize this fact

the same address space has IDE controller inside Falcon, and the same boot routine is contained in Falcon's TOS

all i really need is some simple way to test it, as i know next to nothing about 16bit Atari

exacly

TOS 2.06 is capable of booting from IDE disk

they simply omitted it in hardware, so there are various add-ons cards that utilize this fact

the same address space has IDE controller inside Falcon, and the same boot routine is contained in Falcon's TOS

all i really need is some simple way to test it, as i know next to nothing about 16bit Atari

Ok, then grab a copy of HDDriver demo here: http://www.seimet.de/atari/en/hddriver.html and just run HDDRIVER.PRG - it automatically probes all possible buses for devices.

True that only TOS 2.06 (and Falcon TOS) have boot code for IDE.

But IDE may work with any TOS version, by loading driver from floppy.

Even latest versions of AHDI support IDE.

Here are some disk image files with autoboot for IDE (read for details on page): http://petari.000space.com/atari/DiskImgPP1.html

Here is speed testing program, what will detect present adapters too: http://petari.000space.com/atari/ahpt.html

Edited by AstFan

• 6 years later...