IGNORED

Video Pinball cart with "P" on end label but not PAL?

SpendTooMuchOnAtari

I recently bought a small lot of games on ebay because it had Private Eye in it:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2506564654681?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250656465468&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I received the games and the Private Eye is great and I'm happy with the price and all. Anyway, the Video Pinball cartridge has a "P" on the end label but it works fine on both my 2600 and 7800 system. Also, the TV I'm using is quite old and I really doubt it is set up to play PAL things on it. Is it possible to have a game with a "P" on the end label and it not be a PAL game?

Anyone else have this cart? Thanks for any info, here is the game:

post-4103-127875985442_thumb.jpg

What is most likely is that it is a PAL format game. You can confirm this by looking at the colours: If you notice any difference in colours when played on an NTSC console, then it's definately a PAL game. You can compare with on line screen shots.

I have an NTSC cart that works just fine on my PAL Atari 2600, I reckon my TV has some sort of correction for scrolling images (which is what you get usually when you use NTSC on PAL and vice versa) The only difference is in the colour of the game graphics.

Edited by JingleJoe

The other possibility is that it's a printing error. There is a Joust with a 'P' in the Atariage list of games that says NTSC, but many have suggested that it's an error on the site and that it should be marked PAL. Printing errors do occur and labels do get swapped, so the only real test is to check it out on your TV. If I remember correctly, the screen didn't roll, but I couldn't see the bottom of the game, where the flippers are, on my screen.

Edited by shadowdoggie

It's a well-known NTSC label variant.

You can double check that it's not the PAL version of the game because the PAL version has an extra sound effect--something to do with nudging the table after it has tilted. You can search for specifics on that if you're curious.

Well mine is 100% PAL.

I just went and tested one of my NTSC carts, without the 'P', and it was fine. Then I put the 'P' version in and the screen started rolling. So, if it indeed is a commonly known NTSC label variant, you won't be able to know for sure whether it's NTSC or PAL until you check it on your TV.

It's a well-known NTSC label variant.

You can double check that it's not the PAL version of the game because the PAL version has an extra sound effect--something to do with nudging the table after it has tilted. You can search for specifics on that if you're curious.

Well mine is 100% PAL.

I just went and tested one of my NTSC carts, without the 'P', and it was fine. Then I put the 'P' version in and the screen started rolling. So, if it indeed is a commonly known NTSC label variant, you won't be able to know for sure whether it's NTSC or PAL until you check it on your TV.

Yes, of course. I wasn't suggesting that yours wasn't PAL. And Spend's could be PAL too, but seeing as this is a well known variant--actually, variants, as you can find it with both upper and lowercase main labels--and the fact that it isn't rolling on his TV, strongly suggests that it is indeed the NTSC variant.

There is a Joust with a 'P' in the Atariage list of games that says NTSC, but many have suggested that it's an error on the site and that it should be marked PAL.

That one is definitely an assembly error. I have confirmed for myself at least two copies with the "P" end label that were NTSC beyond any doubt. This is not to say that all copies with the "P" are NTSC -- I'm sure the PAL version has the same end label.

I have played both a regular Video Pinball that I have and the one with the P on the end label and the colors are exactly the same. There is no scrolling at all and it appears to be the exact same game with the exception of the P on the end label.

So, it's probably not PAL then?

If it is NTSC which it sounds like, are these rarities hard to come by, I have never see one before.

I also just thought that this game came online from Ohio with other regular games so there's also that to consider although I know games get mixed. I think I have the label variation and it looks pretty cool in my collection because it's all end labels. I like label variations anyway, I love the re-released labels, the picture Sears labels, anything different than the norm. ;)