IGNORED

how can i?

A2600

I asked a similar question in another thread and didn't get a response. I'm sure it is technically possible to do.

There was a PC emulator for the Tandy Color Computers that allowed you to take a disk rom image and "burn" it onto a 5 1/4 disk for use on a Coco Disk drive.

Hopefully there is a similar program for the Atari 8-bit and if anyone knows about it, please post about it here.

Mainly everyone has gone to the SIO2PC cable and software. This is the reason for the lack of replies to your question. There were a bunch of utilities written in the 90's. Use the "XL Search" site: http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/xlsearch/ and search for "+util +transfer" . Not sure which program is the best. Many are for specific Atari Dos versions like MyDos. I believe you must use old style double-density soft-sectored floppies and format for 256K, although you use only 128k? Anyway, its bad for your Atari drive to use hard-sector quad density floppies. So don't! Also, iirc, the transfers work best with a double density Atari drive - Indus, Percom ,US Doubler etc. Good luck, but you will probably wind up getting a cable instead :ponder:

But my theory is possible??

PC

5 1/4 Drive (connected to the PC not the 810)

Single Density Disk

Record Disk Image to Disk

Load Into the 810

And have a perfectly working game in a disk!!

Nope, that won't work (because the data organization and sector/track format is different between the two types of dos's ... PC and Atari)

What IF I USE THE SAME TYPE OF DOS? Eh Nukey Shay?? :D

Not to sound discouraging, but I spent a lot of time (TOO MUCH time!) a few years ago trying to make this happen. I had a 360K 5 1/4" drive and simply could NOT make the thing write sectors which were even remotely recognizeable to an Atari drive. As someone said above, the firmware of the drive is limited to writing IBM-type sectors and there is no way you can write a program to change that - you can change the sectors per track, bytes per sector, and even mess with the sector offset (I did all of this) but you can't change the way the drive creates disk sectors. Well, at least not without disassembling the firmware and hacking it to make Atari compatiable disks...and that's well beyond my abilities. Using one of the suggestions pointed out above will prove to be a lot more productive in the end!

This is a prog called makedisk that will allow an IBM drive to write SS/DD disks for the Atari - it is difficult to use but I got it to work on a few things before I got my SIO2PC cable.

When you did this bacn then, what type of 5 1/4" drive did you use? I could not get this program to work at all back then on a variety of drives (360k, 720k, 1.2MB) and just gave up...

It is a 1.2 meg 5 1/4 - You basically had to calculate the start and end sector for your files as input and I think it just wrote raw dat in Atari format - you may have had to format the drive on the Atari first????

I was not very succesfull in getting more than 1 program transferred at a time (which was ok) - but a few times I almost got the whole disk done.

I prob have the Util around somewhere still if someone wants it - send me a private msg with your email address and ye shall receive :)

Im feeling extremly generos tonight so attached is the program  :D  

Ok, I dug it out of my archives since I was curious also  :twisted:  

Enjoy and let me know your results!

Great, now I'm fighting the urge to pull those drives out and start messing around again. Haven't seen that program in AGES... :D

I used a 1.2 meg drive (the older the drive the better) and formmatted the disk on the Atari - SS/DD in MYDOS. I couldnt get the format part to work.

I was able to get this thing to work, however you need to calculate start/stop sectors for each file, therefore I was most successful writing 1 program at a time and copying it on my 8bit - not very efficient from my end but it worked when I needed it to.

Its not very easy and best run from DOS vs WinDOS