IGNORED

Atari ST/STE/Mega/Falcon Repair/Upgrade listings

It would be helpful for a universal listing of places we could take, or send our equipment for repair and/or upgrades.

Names, addresses (for shipping), web sites, costs per repair/upgrade, which countries serviced, which machines, etc.

USA....

Europe...

Eastern....

I've got a list of Atari dealers 'n such on my BBS, but I've not

updated it in a while so some of the listings are probably gone.

Need to do that soon. (just got back from vacation - Orlando,

Universal Studios/Island Of Adventure - Harry Potter was really

good - I drank ButterBeer all week!)... :)

• 1 month later...

ATY Computer - Oakland, California.

This is where I got my 1040st in '84!!

I emailed them a couple times last year to see if they were still working on ST's. They never replied back. But yet the web site is still up :?

They are for sure still around. Alex (Yu) just socketed the CPU on my STacy a couple of months ago.

• Like 1

I emailed them a couple times last year to see if they were still working on ST's. They never replied back. But yet the web site is still up :?

Yep, he is there I've just got an e mail from Alex today. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hes helping me out with a mod. :D

Yep, he is there I've just got an e mail from Alex today. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hes helping me out with a mod. :D

Hows the prices?

A 1040ST in 1984?

Are you sure about that? ;)

No, maybe it was '85. It was around Halloween I got it. and it was a low serial number, as I recall. It was only the 2nd one he'd received from Atari.

That's impossible. ATY Computer opened in 1989. The 1040ST came out in 1986. I know, we're all getting older and forgetting how long it's been... :P

Perhaps he means the original ST (i.e not F/FM)...that would fit the 1985 timeline

Doesn't atari forum have a comprehensive listing of Atari st/tt etc repair services (seeming as though they are the most active of ST forums on interweb)

Edited by carmel_andrews

Can ATY upgrade an 8mhz ST to 16mhz?

Alex can put in the socket needed to do that if you've got something

like an AdSpeed or T-series accelerator to do it with. He's socketed

a couple of ST's for me.

Oh so they can't put in a 16mhz 68000 and change the clocks to 16mhz?

If you are simply asking if that *can* be done, then the answer is yes. Ralcool over

at AtariForums has a thread on it. You should check it out there.

Now, can Alex at ATY do this mod? I'm not sure - best to go right to the source and

ask him directly.

Can ATY upgrade an 8mhz ST to 16mhz?

Alex can put in the socket needed to do that if you've got something

like an AdSpeed or T-series accelerator to do it with. He's socketed

a couple of ST's for me.

Oh so they can't put in a 16mhz 68000 and change the clocks to 16mhz?

If you are simply asking if that *can* be done, then the answer is yes. Ralcool over

at AtariForums has a thread on it. You should check it out there.

Now, can Alex at ATY do this mod? I'm not sure - best to go right to the source and

ask him directly.

Do you have a link? I went to three different places that call themselves Atariforums and none of them has a ralcool as a registered user.

Do you have a link? I went to three different places that call themselves Atariforums and none of them has a ralcool as a registered user.

I believe it is here, although you may have to read through it a bit,

its a long thread. Its all very interesting, technically speaking though!

:)

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18847&start=0

• 3 years later...

It would be helpful for a universal listing of places we could take, or send our equipment for repair and/or upgrades.

Names, addresses (for shipping), web sites, costs per repair/upgrade, which countries serviced, which machines, etc.

USA....

Europe...

www.ataristsales.com

Based in the UK

Eastern....

It's been about 3 years, but I emailed ATY computer in California more than once about trying to get some ST upgrade work done, and never got a reply. Perhaps my money isn't green, or the proprietor only takes seriously a few people on a short list that he's dealt with before. Whatever the reason, it's quite obvious he's not interested in doing work, and also obvious that he does not need the business. All I wanted (to begin with) was a simple 1MB upgrade for 520ST; it's not like I wanted him to engineer a 68060 accelerator into a Falcon.

As of now, I know of nobody in the United States who will work on ST. My experience has been:

(1) I don't use the stuff very much, so luck has been good.

(2) The stuff is pretty reliable, fortunately. Reseating a chip fixed one.

(3) Buy spares, and turn malfunctioning machines into parts.

(4) Buy known-working, tested parts from Ebay, such as this 1040ST motherboard currently-listed.....

post-16281-0-56477400-1399914035_thumb.jpg

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1814045746691?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=181404574669&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I made a similar purchase for my old-school 520ST (the kind without the drive). I wanted an original 520ST with 1MB like the old days. ATY would never respond. Then I found a former Atari dealer on Ebay selling a 520STm motherboard with an upgrade board (rather than piggyback mod) that was really nice, had clips holding all the chips down, TOS 1.4, was tested and guaranteed, and had screenshots of it working running diagnostic software. It was also great deal, something like the 1040ST motherboard above. Voila! I got just what I wanted. But you have to wait and hope to get lucky. If somebody has a malfunctioning 1040STf (not fm), the above board would be an economical repair.

I suppose one could send a machine into Best Electronics, but that would probably be quite expensive. European ST users really have it great. The ST just wasn't as popular here (Atari made more money shipping them to Europe so badly-neglected the U.S. market), and it's definitely and uphill battle to get mods or repairs over here, unless you're capable of doing them yourself. I wish.

You should really call ATY Computer if you want to reach him. IIRC he told me the domain is owned by a friend who set up the website too. He lost contact with him and has no idea what happened to him, so he has no way of changing the website contents either.

I just saw him a couple weeks ago, so he should still be around. I didn't ask if he still does Atari repairs or upgrades. He prefers not to do them if they are hard like Falcon repairs where it hurts his eyes following those tiny traces and surface mount pins. A 1MB upgrade to an original 520ST? Hmm. You're going to have to ask him if it too hard for his older eyes now.