IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

The sounds from UAE were the main motivation for me to add them to MAME. Funnily, there is still a wide range from rejection to appreciation when it comes to drive sounds.

I am in the former camp. :)

thats actually one of the things i remember fondly- the ti 99 and c64 disk sounds.

To my ears. The real sounds have certain nuances to them that sampling cannot capture. In the beginning "they" just used a single sample for drive running and a single sample for the head stepping. But drives sound differently at different points of head position. For instance, the spindle motor and disk spinning sound differently at track 20 than at track 35, and so does the head movement.

I believe some later implementations use sets of samples. But still, just not the same and not close enough to evoke the proper memories, so rather than experience corrupted memories I just go without.

We're hijacking the thread, I guess ... so just for completeness: I set up a student project for creating a "floppy checker" that is based on an Arduino, and which will process a script of head move operations. I always wanted to write such a thing by myself, but now I actually found three students - they need their credit points, I need that device - win/win. With that device I will be able to record specific areas of the drive.

Keep in mind that every drive sounds differently. There is no a guarantee that your memories will ever be met precisely.

Is it fair to say: If you can't do it properly, don't do it at all? ;)

I mean, if Tursi decided to do this, he should certainly be allowed to, and you'll surely get a chance to turn it off (as I did it in MAME). Mind that there may be other people that would welcome such a feature. :)

Is it fair to say: If you can't do it properly, don't do it at all? ;)

I mean, if Tursi decided to do this, he should certainly be allowed to, and you'll surely get a chance to turn it off (as I did it in MAME). Mind that there may be other people that would welcome such a feature. :)

No. I disagree. If he were to do it there would be dire repercussions at the next Faire. Dire, I tell you. DIRE.

• Like 2

No i'm not here to beat you over the head about tape support again...

One feature i would like to see in classic99 is drive sounds.

Not sure about everyone else, but i for one love the sound of floppies loading.

Thanks again for your work on this wonderful emulator.

I don't expect to do this... I'm sure it's easy to do it the lazy way, a bit harder to do it "right". But since I don't believe in disk controllers anyway I don't want to go that direction. Play the sounds in Winamp ;)

Keep in mind that every drive sounds differently. There is no a guarantee that your memories will ever be met precisely.

That's one of my issues with it. On some machines, say the C64, there was really only one option, but the TI used generic drives. I'm not sure I actually saw two TIs with the exact same floppy configuration, and when I had three drives, all three were different. ;)

Anyway, if I was bored and had samples right there it would still be a bit of a hassle because nothing in Classic99 attempts to emulate the head stepping, so that's an entire system that would need to be developed just to go "click". ;)

• Like 1

Anyway, if I was bored and had samples right there it would still be a bit of a hassle because nothing in Classic99 attempts to emulate the head stepping, so that's an entire system that would need to be developed just to go "click". ;)

Hmm, right ... it does not really make sense if you don't want your emulated floppy drive to match the speed of the real drive.

@all critics: I still find drive sounds a highly desirable feature of emulation, if just for the sake of immersion. :P But the good thing is ... that we need not agree.

• Like 2

CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK, CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK, WHIRRRRRRRRR, THUNK

*my impression of a C64 1541 drive*

Except for this 1541 I have on my desk right now in which none of the motors run (spindle or head stepper.) Maybe a bad 12V supply or one of the VIAs. Up, up and away!

• Like 1

Hmm, right ... it does not really make sense if you don't want your emulated floppy drive to match the speed of the real drive.

@all critics: I still find drive sounds a highly desirable feature of emulation, if just for the sake of immersion. :P But the good thing is ... that we need not agree.

What about the RF hum of the console interference? :) That's the part /I/ find nostalgic.

• Like 2

Why not emulate the fan noise of the PEB? :)

Methinks you all are not taking that really seriously, right? ;)

For me, while I was working with diskettes on the real iron, the audible feedback was very important for me. You knew that ASSM1 or ASSM2 was loading at that time, the assembler was working, a DIS/FIX 80 files is still loading, the BASIC loader finished loading, and the BASIC cruncher is just setting up memory, or MDOS is in the process of loading. Even today, I'm listening to the (mechanical) hard disks of the PC, which shows me that it is probably a bad time to open some more applications right now. SSDs are great, but silent.

The faster the drive is loading, the less important is this "side-channel" feedback. Since we pursue (mind you, not achieve) a precise hardware behavior, floppy loading is done at 125 kbit/s for single density and 300 kbit/s for double density, which feels really slow if everything is silent.

Since I have that sound feature, I never turned it off again. In contrast, I stop the emulation and check things if I don't hear it; in most cases, the volume sliders in MAME have just been reset.

I'm still voting for profiles. All too often I have to reconfigure my DSK locations and loaded carts to check out the latest upload to AA, then do it again to use the compiler and again for testing other things. If I could have my different setups saved as configuration profiles, well... I think I'd have to visit your Amazon wishlist again... just sayin' - I mean, bribes count for something right? :)

• Like 1