Photo

Classic99 Updates

1383 replies to this topic

#1376 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,647 posts

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 10:39 AM

You could have different classic99.ini files. Rename as you need them.

Or you could have different directories, each with a Classic99 installation (footprint is (can be) relatively small).

Thanks, those are great ideas. I can say I never once opened up the c99 ini. I should probably read the docs for it as well. That might very well be all I need.

You could set up a single “profile” or “ini” folder under “Classic99” and each time you change Classic99 parameters (FIAD folders, DSK images, current cartridge, ...), exit Classic99 and copy “classic99.ini” to a new or existing INI file in the “profile” folder, with a name that will remind you of its configuration.  You could then set up a Windows script file (batch file) that you would run to allow you to choose which configuration profile to copy to the Classic99 folder before the script starts Classic99.

...lee

#1377 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,468 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 11:27 AM

You could set up a single “profile” or “ini” folder under “Classic99” and each time you change Classic99 parameters (FIAD folders, DSK images, current cartridge, ...), exit Classic99 and copy “classic99.ini” to a new or existing INI file in the “profile” folder, with a name that will remind you of its configuration.  You could then set up a Windows script file (batch file) that you would run to allow you to choose which configuration profile to copy to the Classic99 folder before the script starts Classic99.

...lee

Brilliant Lee! Sorry I've gotten lazy. I certainly can do that and it would definitely achieve the same goal I had in mind. Thanks for jump starting my brain towards a reasonable solution to my feature request. Still, I don't think having this as part of c99's functionality is a bad thing, but now I have a work around to develop for myself. :) Assuming I can get  this done over the weekend, I'll share of course.

EDIT: Also, I can probably automate a lot more. Like have C99 launch from the script so when I close c99 the script will continue, asking for a file name for the new ini before copying and renaming. :) :) :)

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Thu Mar 1, 2018 11:30 AM.

#1378 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,647 posts

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 11:39 AM

Brilliant Lee! Sorry I've gotten lazy. I certainly can do that and it would definitely achieve the same goal I had in mind. Thanks for jump starting my brain towards a reasonable solution to my feature request. Still, I don't think having this as part of c99's functionality is a bad thing, but now I have a work around to develop for myself. :) Assuming I can get  this done over the weekend, I'll share of course.

EDIT: Also, I can probably automate a lot more. Like have C99 launch from the script so when I close c99 the script will continue, asking for a file name for the new ini before copying and renaming. :) :) :)

I had thought of launching Classic99 from the script, but not asking about saving a profile after exit from Classic99.  That last step might get cumbersome, though.

...lee

#1379 atrax27407 OFFLINE  

atrax27407

Dragonstomper

• 956 posts

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 1:08 PM

Since my configuration of Classic99 is stable, I just plug my .ini file into each new version when I install it. So, unless Tursi does something with the kernel, it boots the same every time.

#1380 Tursi ONLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,032 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:00 PM

Ok, thanks Tursi, Programs are from floppy disks in EA3, EA5 or XB until now, anyway i'll try this :)

EDIT:
Oh yeah... i tried and it working nice at least in XB i solved the problem ! ;)

To make an Editor/Assembler version, copy to a new entry and change the "O" line: rom1=O|0000|0002|Select EA

The numbers there select a built-in cartridge, numbered starting at 0. The first "0000" means the first group, which is 'Apps', and the "0002" selects the third entry (counting from 0), which is Editor/Assembler. The tag at the end is ignored but I fill it in so /I/ remember what it was. ;)

#1381 Tursi ONLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,032 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:01 PM

Hi Mike.

Just wanted to poke you about the "profiles" request. So many new games and programs coming out, so many times I have to changes DSK1 to something else either FIAD or DSK when I'm not done using the previous configuration.
I keep wishing for profiles, but not yet...
Or did I miss them being added somewhere along the line?

I don't want to be a pain in the arse lol. I wish I had the skill necessary to help or create a third party utility to fill this empty hole in my heart. ;)

So along those lines, I know there is a way for folks to capture and save the VDP/ram/rom/grom etc.. in the TI emulation or something like that using the debugger. A sort of "Save State" function is what I'm thinking. But does that or could that also save DSKx assignments in c99? And what cart is inserted? And what system is selected? and what features (in c99) are enabled? Because if so, then I already have what I need. I just need to learn how to use it and save each State, with a descriptive filename. In other words, can it save the state of classic99 or does it only save the state of the emulated TI internals?

You're not forgotten, it's just not a small task. I switch disks and carts a lot too. ;)

Save state is a bigger issue the way it's written and is more likely something that will be considered in the rewrite.

#1382 Tursi ONLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,032 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:03 PM

...lee

You'd just have to remember that you're overwriting it, so that if you make changes, those changes will poof. ;)

#1383 Tursi ONLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,032 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:04 PM

Since my configuration of Classic99 is stable, I just plug my .ini file into each new version when I install it. So, unless Tursi does something with the kernel, it boots the same every time.

I'm a big fan of backwards compatibility, and if I ever can, I try to always make the configuration file backwards compatible (even if it's just reading the old settings and writing the new ones ;) )

#1384 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,468 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:39 PM

You're not forgotten, it's just not a small task. I switch disks and carts a lot too. ;)

Save state is a bigger issue the way it's written and is more likely something that will be considered in the rewrite.

What if it were only a load, save As and save function for ini files? and then reset the emulator (like when changing systems)?

I hate to sound like I'm over simplifying a complex alteration to code. But I think in its simplest form, it's a grand enhancement.

I'm going to give a custom script a shot (batch file or something, maybe I'll learn some powershell along the way), I'm already over thinking it and close to hyperventilating - (JUST KIDDING LOL) - However; the thought of maintaining a long list of ini files using a dos type menu system is making me nervous and excited at the same time.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users