IGNORED

Why is there little homebrew for this wonderful system?

It would be nice to see some new games appear on the INTV.

I know its harder to program for this console, but it has hardly been pushed to its limits

Playing games like Thunder Castle and Tower of Doom are proof of what the INTV is capable of, and surely much more.

What ever happened with Lunar MP and Castle? They looked so excellent and fun, but it has been 7 years now :|

Even the Spirit Demo by Arnauld Chevallier was promising of what INTV could be pushed to.

And then there was INTY OS, but that has also been a few years.

Is there currently any homebrew happening for the system, or have all the big programmers for the Inty gotten to busy?

I was going to blame the lack of INTV homebrew games on the current economy, but there is plenty of homebrews still coming out on other systems.Maybe we need a contest with a real reward and then get someone to put it on a cart? Joe had that 2008 contest but i dont think nothing really came of it. those beeslife/left turn games are supposedely on the way but it wouldnt surprise me if it was another year or 2.

• Like 1

I'm sure I've said this already elsewhere, but there are a few reasons I can think of:

1) Unusual hardware (obscure 1610 processor, nonstandard cartridge design, etc)

2) Lack of documentation

3) Lack of development tools and emulators

I'm glad to say, however, that there have been improvements on all three fronts recently. There is a good SDK with plenty of sample code, and Chad Schell's Cuttle Cart 3 and multi-purpose cartridge boards have made testing and production easier. Now all we need is a way to attract homebrew developers, most of whom still seem to choose the Atari 2600. I agree that a high-profile contest is a good idea, but however it happens, I'm sure that as more developers jump on board, the Intellivision will attract more attention and will attract even more developers. I've got a few game ideas that wouldn't work very well on the Aquarius, so I'm thinking of doing an Intellivision game or two myself.

I was going to blame the lack of INTV homebrew games on the current economy, but there is plenty of homebrews still coming out on other systems.Maybe we need a contest with a real reward and then get someone to put it on a cart? Joe had that 2008 contest but i dont think nothing really came of it. those beeslife/left turn games are supposedely on the way but it wouldnt surprise me if it was another year or 2.

I believe David from Beeslife is occasionally on AA. I'd love an update on Super Space Patrol, Rick Dynamite and Stack'em. I've said this before but Space Patrol is a fantastic game and as jeremysart stated, the INTV is certainly capable of great games.

While I'm happy to be regularly buying 2600, 7800 and CV homebrews (and upcoming 7800 and CV hardware for that matter), it kinds bums me out that I can't add to my INTV hombrew collection. icon_frown.gif

Its on my list of consoles to do something for (along with the NES and A8). However, I can't seem to get an Inty on ebay at a good price in the UK :(. I also need to clear the backlog of 7800 WIP projects that I have on the go before I take on another console. So all I can say at the moment is "soon"... :ponder:

Its on my list of consoles to do something for (along with the NES and A8). However, I can't seem to get an Inty on ebay at a good price in the UK :(. I also need to clear the backlog of 7800 WIP projects that I have on the go before I take on another console. So all I can say at the moment is "soon"... :ponder:

Groovy, i will send you a INTV console for free.PM me your address.I'm dead serious.I have 35 of them,i can certainly spare one to help you on the road to making a homebrew...:cool:

• Like 2

Its on my list of consoles to do something for (along with the NES and A8). However, I can't seem to get an Inty on ebay at a good price in the UK icon_sad.gif. I also need to clear the backlog of 7800 WIP projects that I have on the go before I take on another console. So all I can say at the moment is "soon"... icon_ponder.gif

Groovy, i will send you a INTV console for free.PM me your address.I'm dead serious.I have 35 of them,i can certainly spare one to help you on the road to making a homebrew...icon_shades.gif

icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif I was about to "volunteer" one of Rev's INTV's to get sent to GroovyBee but Rev beat me to it. icon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gif

We'd all love for you to make an INTV game after your 7800 ventures (which I'm also looking forward to buying!)icon_smile.gif

Its on my list of consoles to do something for (along with the NES and A8). However, I can't seem to get an Inty on ebay at a good price in the UK icon_sad.gif. I also need to clear the backlog of 7800 WIP projects that I have on the go before I take on another console. So all I can say at the moment is "soon"... icon_ponder.gif

Groovy, i will send you a INTV console for free.PM me your address.I'm dead serious.I have 35 of them,i can certainly spare one to help you on the road to making a homebrew...icon_shades.gif

:D :D I was about to "volunteer" one of Rev's INTV's to get sent to GroovyBee but Rev beat me to it. icon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gif

We'd all love for you to make an INTV game after your 7800 ventures (which I'm also looking forward to buying!)icon_smile.gif

You sure are generous with other peoples stuff.:D

Doesnt an INTV developer need chad schells intellicart to make a homebrew or something?

Thanks for the kind offer. I do most of my development on a portable TV (after emulation) that doesn't support NTSC. I have a TV that supports NTSC but its far too big to have in my development area. If you want to keep the offer open then as soon as I clear some stuff off the decks I'll gladly take you up on it.

Doesnt an INTV developer need chad schells intellicart to make a homebrew or something?

That's also on my list of things to acquire too.

groovy, let me know when you are ready, as we have talked about before. i will hook you up dude.:cool:

icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif I was about to "volunteer" one of Rev's INTV's to get sent to GroovyBee but Rev beat me to it. icon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gif

You sure are generous with other peoples stuff.icon_mrgreen.gif

I like to help out however I can!!icon_mrgreen.gif

I'm selfless that way.

You sure are generous with other peoples stuff.icon_mrgreen.gif

I like to help out however I can!!icon_mrgreen.gif

I'm selfless that way.

lets come up with an official AtariAge intellivision programming contest. maybe Left turn/beeslife will help with putting it on a cart/box. wanna?

I made a few full-sized title screens using a custom character set and the Intellivision's foreground/background mode (explained here). A few INTV programmers have told me this technique should work with a bit of coding. However, nothing ever became of these images, so I'd be happy to let people use them. Or maybe we could work together on a project. In any case, enjoy...

moonp-03.png

ghosts-03.png

intv-palette.png

intv-scii-1.png

Edited by saehn

I too wish there were more INTV homebrews.The INTV is a fantastic system with fantastic games, we all know that.Just imagine how good the games can be when you think how great homebrews for the 7800 and ColecoVision turned out due to more time and care given to them.God, someone PLEASE, more INTV homebrews!!!!!!!

Edited by Rik

I am glad at the positive responses.

Heh, I was too thinking to send GroovyBee an INTV, but I scrolled down a little more and seen Rev already has that covered.

The architecture of the INTV is different, but I suppose that gives developers a challenge, which I imagine is half the fun of programming.

The system can definitely be pushed a lot further than it was ever commercially explored, perhaps we could propose a contest.

What kinds of prizes would be appropriate? I couldn't contribute too much, but I could make some sweet INTV inspired artwork, or at least do the box art :D

(edit: sp)

Edited by jeremysart

I am glad at the positive responses.

Heh, I was too thinking to send GroovyBee an INTV, but I scrolled down a little more and seen Rev already has that covered.

The architecture of the INTV is different, but I suppose that gives developers a challenge, which I imagine is half the fun of programming.

The system can definitely be pushed a lot further than it was ever commercially explored, perhaps we could propose a contest.

What kinds of prizes would be appropriate? I couldn't contribute too much, but I could make some sweet INTV inspired artwork, or at least do the box art :D

(edit: sp)

that would be some sweet boxart.

now let's see about that contest...........;)

Playing games like Thunder Castle and Tower of Doom are proof of what the INTV is capable of, and surely much more.

What ever happened with Lunar MP and Castle? They looked so excellent and fun, but it has been 7 years now :|

Even the Spirit Demo by Arnauld Chevallier was promising of what INTV could be pushed to.

And then there was INTY OS, but that has also been a few years.

Is there currently any homebrew happening for the system, or have all the big programmers for the Inty gotten to busy?

As Lunar MP grew into more than originally planned, it became Space Patrol. This game pushes the Inty!

Castle was a demo and I believe the base code was being used for another game (sorry but the title eludes me) that will probably not be finished.

It is easy to get busy :( but have hope.

I believe David from Beeslife is occasionally on AA. I'd love an update on Super Space Patrol, Rick Dynamite and Stack'em. I've said this before but Space Patrol is a fantastic game and as jeremysart stated, the INTV is certainly capable of great games.

Ok....

I have completed the first pass of the Moon Pro level. It still needs work but I am happy with it so far. There are still 3 more levels to design. Joe has added new game play objects that I think will be fun.

Rick Dynamite has seen some love lately. With Joe's new cart design, it will be "easier" (poor choice of word?) to finish the game.

I believe Stack'em is close to completion. It now has the option to be a two player game.

Before you even ask...I will *not* give any dates when these games will see the light. I had hoped we would have gotten one out the door last year.

Ok....

I have completed the first pass of the Moon Pro level. It still needs work but I am happy with it so far. There are still 3 more levels to design. Joe has added new game play objects that I think will be fun.

Rick Dynamite has seen some love lately. With Joe's new cart design, it will be "easier" (poor choice of word?) to finish the game.

I believe Stack'em is close to completion. It now has the option to be a two player game.

Before you even ask...I will *not* give any dates when these games will see the light. I had hoped we would have gotten one out the door last year.

Great news Dave, thanks for the update, much appreciated!! icon_thumbsup.gif

I must admit, I literally check your website almost daily in the hopes that something will be posted about these titles.

I suspect that you'll find a very receptive audience for your next game(s). icon_mrgreen.gif

Cheers.

#1 reason for the lack of homebrews: the CPU's bus is "non-standard" compared with all the 8-bit CPUs of the day (8080/Z80/6502/6800). It needs glue chips to convert the bus signals and latch the address. But the F8 (Fairchild Channel F) had an even worse bus that needs a program counter register too.

Also, by not being one of the mainstream CPUs, nobody grew up programming on it back in the day.

#1 reason for the lack of homebrews: the CPU's bus is "non-standard" compared with all the 8-bit CPUs of the day (8080/Z80/6502/6800). It needs glue chips to convert the bus signals and latch the address. But the F8 (Fairchild Channel F) had an even worse bus that needs a program counter register too.

Also, by not being one of the mainstream CPUs, nobody grew up programming on it back in the day.

These "glue chips", are they no longer made?