Photo

The Official 2600 Easter Egg and Programming Mysteries Thread

102 replies to this topic

#101 Nukey Shay ONLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,685 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:13 PM

Since the graphics data for BP is in the code, this may be the result of an unwanted glitch. But the code for the city is very simple (just four code locations: one for initial pattern load, two for scrolling back and forth and one for displaying) and I cannot see anything which could create a gap in the city.

The terrain CTRLPF write at $F761 would seem to be a possible candidate (the reversed building gfx makes the scroll happen from and to the center rather than the edges).  But the value is an immediate value, and the register is updated just before drawing the city on every frame...so it would take ROM corruption for that to happen.

IMO it was an embellished account of the actual EE.  Pretty common BITD when mythbusting was difficult.

#102 bradhig1 OFFLINE  

bradhig1

Dragonstomper

• 627 posts

Posted Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:31 PM

I'm not sure if this qualifies as an "easter egg"or not, but I discovered a hidden room in Superman (for the 2600).

It was in the disassembly of the game, called the Null Room, where the game puts all the items that wind up out of play (like when you drop a bad guy into the jail for example)

If you use Stella or other emulator, you can change the room number to number 0, which puts you into this hidden room.

I posted two videos here...

and

I also found similar things in Adventure and Haunted House...if anyone is interested...

Marc

What do the zero rooms in Adventure and Haunted House look like?

#103 MarcAtari OFFLINE  

MarcAtari

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:34 PM

What do the zero rooms in Adventure and Haunted House look like?

Neither really have "null rooms" per se...but if you change the room number in Adventure you get the game select screen, which is just an empty room with the number 1, 2, or 3 in the center. It's an actual room. You can also get to it if you are on the game select screen, and move the joystick a bit, then your square character icon appears at the bottom. In game play, you can set the game number register to this screen, etc.

In Haunted house, there is a register that hold the "floor" number...if you set it to 0 or a high number, you can enter a "floor" of the house that has no exits. Again, not really an intentional null room like the one in Superman, but rather an anomaly with similar characteristics.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users