IGNORED

Adam SimpleCalc

RGDiRocco

I'd suggest that's probably VaporWare. I was pretty heavy into the Adam in the day, and don't recall even seeing a "coming soon" or any other mention of this. That said, where'd this pic come from? Kinda thinking it's a mock-up as I wanna say most of the productivity software had the "Smart____" names.

I'd assume this was either scheduled to be a tutorial program (kind of like Telly Turtle was for SmartLOGO) to compliment AdamCALC, or it simple morphed into AdamCALC.

Anyone else have any recollection of this?

Edited by Murph74

A little more searching and this thread at least verifies it's existence as a DDP! (http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/140126-the-official-coleco-adam-topic)

Doubledown, if you read this, can you verify it's an actual program and not a mock up? I mean does it actually load something? I saw your comment about it being to AdamCALC what Notepad is to Word... but no indication that there's even a program on the tape you have. :) Just curious, not skeptical yet. :)

A little more googling makes me think it was a mock-up (before AdamCALC was finalized or decided on) for CES Summer 84... But this is just speculation.

From: http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue51/176_1_Software_Power.php

Coleco announced the June shipment of a variety of new software programs for the Adam, including SmartLogo, a programming language; Smart-Letters & Forms, a correspondence program; SmartFiler and Recipe Filer, which organize home data; and SimpleCalc, a spreadsheet. Educational and entertainment titles were also announced, including Electronic Flashcard Maker, Brain Strainers, ExpeType, Zaxxon, Dukes of Hazard, and others.

Edited by Murph74

I have a copy of that program on DDP. It's a spreadsheet program written in SmartBASIC. The default spreadsheet sheet size is only 5 by 22 (110 cells). The maximum spreadsheet size is 300 cells. It's a pretty cool program for SmartBASIC. It's a working program. Very easy to use with a lot of options. Probably unbelievably rare. I don't even see it listed on the sacnews/adamcomputer site and they have almost everything listed.

post-13580-128024949612_thumb.jpgpost-13580-128024952242_thumb.jpg

Edited by ed1475

Has anyone ever seen a copy of this program? I have been searching for a copy for years with no luck.......

post-22026-128020246278_thumb.gif

You got yourself a very rare piece of software for the ADAM there as it defintely looks like an official software product by Coleco. They must have outsourced this project to another company (like the ADAM Home Software Library) as their own software development team never released a SmartBASIC program... they were all machine language programs. I don't even recall this being listed in any catalogs or info. sheets back in the day and not to blow my own whistle, but if I didn't see or know about something for the ColecoVision or ADAM... well let's just say you got yourself something very RARE and in great shape!

The only other commercial products released by a major company back then that was written in SmartBASIC were Personal Accountant by Softsync Inc., Market Monitor and Tax Planner by Coleco Canada then all the major software houses abandoned ship and software development feel into the hands of the end users.

DON'T play around with the original anymore except to make a backup copy and then use that!

Jim/NIAD

Edited by NIAD

This is a new one on me!!! I don't have it on my list of software or even on my list of software that I'm looking for.

Joe B.

I have a copy of that program on DDP. It's a spreadsheet program written in SmartBASIC. The default spreadsheet sheet size is only 5 by 22 (110 cells). The maximum spreadsheet size is 300 cells. It's a pretty cool program for SmartBASIC. It's a working program. Very easy to use with a lot of options. Probably unbelievably rare. I don't even see it listed on the sacnews/adamcomputer site and they have almost everything listed.

post-13580-128024949612_thumb.jpgpost-13580-128024952242_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

We've all been there and sadly done that! While the Data Packs alon would fetch you a decent buck in auction, the complete package as pictured in Post #1 would have to be just about the rarest ADAM software package around since as I've learned so few were made.

I was fortunate to acquire this CIB last year from a former Coleco employee as well as a loose DDP copy. Suffice it to say, the loose DDP copy was lost in the mail after I sent it to another huge ADAM collector... it had to happen to this one, of course, it couldn't have been an item that there are hundreds of copies that are easily available!

I recall following that Barry Hausman thread for an extended period... did you end up acquiring anything else of note?