IGNORED

Sadly.... my PS3 died last night

EricDeLee

Precisely! The machines have gotten more complicated, and more can go wrong with them. Optical disc drives were a big problem in the early days... the Playstation 2 in particular had more than its share of disc read errors, and it's likely that none of the machines that use disc media will last as long as their solid-state counterparts.

I think what's really important is preservation. With the shelf life of game consoles growing shorter and shorter, the game companies are going to have to find a way to keep this software around for future generations. If they don't do it, the players will.

My ps3 was purchased day one at midnight the night before for $600.00...the 60 GB backwards system has yet to quit playing on me. I play on line..Ive not tampered with the inners and I play a lot of ps2 time on the system....Im over 100+ hours on Disgaea 3 ..... As for the loudness of your ps3..Make sure you have it properly ventilated...

I've had 2 XBunk 360s fry so far. PS3 makes loud fan noises but still works as I bought it (until I'm forced to upgrade to the no Linux bull).

I don't understand, really. Back in the day the Atari and Intellivision would literally melt the shag carpet before quitting.

I think it is funny that someone posted about their PS3 dying and the first response is someone trashing the 360, calling it names, and making sure to note their PS3 is working. It's okay! He wasn't dogging the PS3. He wanted to play it and he is sad it broke! I also didn't see anything in the OP in reference to the 360. To the OP, sorry your console broke. No matter the console it is a major disappointment when it fails.

• Like 2

I've had 2 XBunk 360s fry so far. PS3 makes loud fan noises but still works as I bought it (until I'm forced to upgrade to the no Linux bull).

I don't understand, really. Back in the day the Atari and Intellivision would literally melt the shag carpet before quitting.

I think it is funny that someone posted about their PS3 dying and the first response is someone trashing the 360, calling it names, and making sure to note their PS3 is working. It's okay! He wasn't dogging the PS3. He wanted to play it and he is sad it broke! I also didn't see anything in the OP in reference to the 360. To the OP, sorry your console broke. No matter the console it is a major disappointment when it fails.

Ooooooh boy, here we go again... :ponder:

*runs to grab the popcorn*

Edited by Austin

Is this the console PS3 vs. 360 flame wars I've heard about? I'm sorry if I touched a nerve. I think BOTH suck compared to my older consoles. No Sony Fanboy or Micro-softie here! My point was this generation consoles seem to overheat and die. I'm not thrilled to hear a fellow AtariAge member having his PS3 die as it doesn't bode well for me either.

Again, didn't want to start a flame war. I realized it's a touchy subject and still posted my experiences anyway. Sorry.

Edited by theloon

Is this the console PS3 vs. 360 flame wars I've heard about? I'm sorry if I touched a nerve. I think BOTH suck compared to my older consoles. No Sony Fanboy or Micro-softie here! My point was this generation consoles seem to overheat and die. I'm not thrilled to hear a fellow AtariAge member having his PS3 die as it doesn't bode well for me either.

Again, didn't want to start a flame war. I realized it's a touchy subject and still posted my experiences anyway. Sorry.

Yeah sure. You didn't touch a nerve with me. I'm simply pointing out your desire to condemn one product against the failure of one you prefer. You don't use tacky names in reference to the one you are slamming and say you have no preference and were making a general point.

"Someone posting their PS3 died? I better respond and note that my PS3 is still working and I have had two Xbox 360's, which I will call XBunk *snicker*, fry."

Maybe you aren't a fanboy but you clearly favor one over the other and felt inclined to go there despite the OP not mentioning any desire to play 360 instead, that they even own a 360, or intend to purchase one as a replacement for their broken PS3. Not that it wasn't inevitable but you happened to snag the prize.

Looks like the 'reflow' was a success. I think I'll be playing a bit tonight! LOL

I am thinking of putting a small mini fan on the outside of the PS3(behind it) to help keep dust and crap away from the vents. I am pretty sure that was my problem.

Great news!

@Hyper_Eye: The polite thing to do is accept an apology.

On a more constructive note I'm glad the reflow worked!

Yeah sure. You didn't touch a nerve with me. I'm simply pointing out your desire to condemn one product against the failure of one you prefer. You don't use tacky names in reference to the one you are slamming and say you have no preference and were making a general point.

"Someone posting their PS3 died? I better respond and note that my PS3 is still working and I have had two Xbox 360's, which I will call XBunk *snicker*, fry."

Maybe you aren't a fanboy but you clearly favor one over the other and felt inclined to go there despite the OP not mentioning any desire to play 360 instead, that they even own a 360, or intend to purchase one as a replacement for their broken PS3. Not that it wasn't inevitable but you happened to snag the prize.

Edited by theloon

@Hyper_Eye: The polite thing to do is accept an apology.

I didn't realize that there was a genuine apology in there. It looked a lot like a politicians apology.

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve.

I realized it's a touchy subject and still posted my experiences anyway. Sorry.

Not, "You're right, bringing up the 360 in a PS3 thread and calling it XBunk was pretty close to flame baiting and it wasn't really necessary." It is like a politician who says something incredibly stupid, "I'm sorry if what I said offended anybody." They never say they are sorry for what they said. They are sorry there are people who took offense to what they said and were loud enough to make them have to issue an apology.

It is hard to use apologies that call someone touchy as a way to bring a conversation to an end. My post was a simple observation. It would have been very simple to end it there. Since you don't post frequently here I will give you a little advice... if you respond expect a response. Assuming that the conversation remains civil and does not resort to name calling the mods are going to leave it alone and disagreements go on until one person decides they are finished. Sometimes that is never. If you don't want a response don't post a response. That is how I approach this forum when I'm not in the mood for a debate or I know the other person has a tendency to be uncivil or a "pointless debater". There is also the ignore button.

With that I am fine with taking my ball and going home. I hope we will see you posting more frequently.

The one constructive thing Hyper_Eye mentioned was the ignore button which I will find and use in cases like this. Didn't mean to have an off-topic point-by-point debate with random strangers. It's funny he mentioned calling a Mod as it was tempting.

The first clue to stop was:

clearly other members knew that if someone didn't use restraint a pointless off-topic debate would ensue.

the second clue to stop was:

This is a que to swallow your pride and accept the other person not only doesn't want to debate but realizes he irritated you. Again, a clue to stop.

If I was a politician and "not sorry" and playing favorites then take a step back and post elsewhere. Notice no one else thought it necessary to continue off-topic despite my opinions. If you had stepped back from the keyboard maybe you would have gotten that I too have had modern consoles fry and wished to commiserate with the poster on his loss. You say expect a response but in AtariAge I expect a constructive, positive response. If you can't do that don't. You can't win a debate with a fool. Save your breath for someone you find worthy. In the meantime lets stop hijacking this poor mans thread. Lets end this with a happy note - his PS3 works.

Edited by theloon

• 7 months later...

DID YOU rip it completely apart and replace the thermal paste!!!!!!!!!! there is cpu paste on both cpu's on the big black ones.. I replaced it on mine and it had to do good I cant belive someone would torch a ps3 using a hair drier that is the lamest thing i ever saw when i saw that on utube i started laughing rolling on the floor COME ON using heat to fix a heat related problem is so dumb... there also could be just a dead 2032 battery too! so try replacing heat sink thermal paste USE THE WHITE stuff and the battery and see if that helps .. it probably is just the battery but could be both I know i have two ps3's one didnt work when i got it and the other did so i stole the power supply from the one w the red screen and took the DVD/bluray drive from the red screen one and put it into the dead one and it now works but before i powered it up i replaced the thermal paste on the cpu's witch were almost completely dried up GOOD LUCK anyway..

I hope youre DVD/BLUE RAY drive is ok cause it seems that is expensive..

the good news is the one that works has 2.76 version UPDAT.PUP on it and it loads linux from pititeboot and linux works!!..

also I have tested both harddrives they both work in the 2.76 machine then other one made me update the firmware from 3.50 back to 3.50 witch i downloaded so i could see if it worked and it loaded fine then rebooted and started to work then came up w the red screen again I dont care i got one working ps3 ..

so I guess both power supplies work now I wonder if the c-mos battery is dead or weather something elese was bad my freind sais he sees pop on the board..

I dont know I hope you can figure out what it is..

have you ever looked at the state of the thermal paste you know it dries up with in 1 year to 6 months the ps3 i got was almost comepletely dried up..

its completely worth removing the warrenty sticker to replace the thermal paste..

you know on youre IBM compatible machine you check the thermal paste when it locks up or the c-mos battery whell the ps3 has 2 cpus huge ones really big and they have HUGE heat sinks otherwise it looks like a laptop w lots of memmory sticks built in other than the thermal paste and the 2032 battery witch could short out and make it shluggish and over heat check the thermal paste..

on a OLD xbox i seen a n610c compaq type cpu used and was able to replace the heat synk sticker crap... i would have just wanted to use the white paste sony used on the ps3 I used up the last of my thermal paste on my ps3 and it hardly runs the fan I bet if youre ps3 over heats that mutch to run the fan full speed youre thermal paste is dried out..

USE PAPER towel remove all thermal paste from heat sink and cpus then use the white stuff try to get the biggest toothpaste tube type thermal paste avalible cause the more the better I ran out so now when my regular computer over heats I have to get more..

for $4.00 its better than sending it to sony and its always better to do preventive maintnence before you see a yellow death light..

I hope mine doesnt do that as it would suck no more linux..

oh I alsomost for got..

PS

one day in 198? something 1985 i think I light ning storm came along and OF COURSE the atari was on

my dad told me once the electric bill is on a budget $150 a month or something like that it stays the same so i could just leave the atari on all the time I forgot to unplug the disk drive the 850 interface module and the modem DAMN anyway lightning blew up the disk drive the 850 interface module and the satellite reciver

the satellite splitter and the honeywell alarm panel all blew up

but the good old ATARI800 said READY it took a nother 10 years for the power supply to finnaly take a crap it still works but it stinks really bad now so i just replaced the power supply but it just goes to show they dont make stuff like they used to...

AT LEAST sony made it easy to get to the heat sink and didnt make it like MICROSOFT with those crappy bandaid crap heat stink stickers witch suck..

I like the huge fan they used too.. .

also i remembered if you turn it on pushing both power and eject the fan runs full speed.. dont know what that is for..

probably to test the fan.

anyway all good luck keeping youre stuff cool..

oh before I forget..

my n610c Compaq laptop is great EXEPT

1 the heatsynk is fan mounted UPSIDE DOWN lame

2 the harddrive is directly underneeth the ati chipset and the northgate witch DONOT HAVE HEATSINKS lame and stupid

the only good thing is it actally has white heatsink paste

3 the lame thing is the thing if you put a 2.4 Ghz cpu in it forget it it will literally start a fire..

4 i downgraded to a 1.7 Ghz cause a 2.0 is to hot..

5 my harddrive used to show temprature in speed fan

6 speed fan could use a mod to make it change speeds by it self so you could run fan fullspeed

7 the harddrive temp seems to be stuck at 300'F wow whooly crap

8 i did get it up to 150'F once But i started to smell solder melting on the back side of the harddrive and said hmm time to let it cool down for a while..

9 playing UT 2003 goty will only allow 1 hour of play time before getting to over 166'F .

10 at least you can just pull the harddrive out and put in freezer for 1½ hour..

11 the only good thing about the n610c is its 1400x1050 screen its awesome i just wish i could find a nother laptop w same screen.

12 why is it that noone has a laptop w screen more than 720??? lame .

13 im now wondering if i should shut the ps3 off or is it like the laptop when not running ut2003 type games it probably wont matter

15 oh i forgot i think found a quake2 for power pc ps3 verison i think im going to try that.

I did get atari2600 emulation working on ps3 and linux ubuntu 9.10 using piteteboot..

The one constructive thing Hyper_Eye mentioned was the ignore button which I will find and use in cases like this. Didn't mean to have an off-topic point-by-point debate with random strangers. It's funny he mentioned calling a Mod as it was tempting.

The first clue to stop was:

clearly other members knew that if someone didn't use restraint a pointless off-topic debate would ensue.

the second clue to stop was:

This is a que to swallow your pride and accept the other person not only doesn't want to debate but realizes he irritated you. Again, a clue to stop.

If I was a politician and "not sorry" and playing favorites then take a step back and post elsewhere. Notice no one else thought it necessary to continue off-topic despite my opinions. If you had stepped back from the keyboard maybe you would have gotten that I too have had modern consoles fry and wished to commiserate with the poster on his loss. You say expect a response but in AtariAge I expect a constructive, positive response. If you can't do that don't. You can't win a debate with a fool. Save your breath for someone you find worthy. In the meantime lets stop hijacking this poor mans thread. Lets end this with a happy note - his PS3 works.

I agree, sorry to hear his Playsuction 3 died, I have a Xbox 360 so far and have not had a single problem, hope him the best of luck with his Sucky.

• Like 1

In this hobby, there really is nothing more sad than having to watch full grown adults argue with every shred of conviction they can muster how toy 'A' is superior to toy 'B' for no other reason than the fact that said adult happens to be in possession of toy 'A'.

It was to prove a point, if he does not think making fun of the Xbox 360 for no reason effects people what if I make fun of the name of the console he prefers. He did it so why not other people. Plus I own both.

In this hobby, there really is nothing more sad than having to watch full grown adults argue with every shred of conviction they can muster how toy 'A' is superior to toy 'B' for no other reason than the fact that said adult happens to be in possession of toy 'A'.

It was to prove a point, if he does not think making fun of the Xbox 360 for no reason effects people what if I make fun of the name of the console he prefers. He did it so why not other people. Plus I own both.

this thread is almost a year old, and was bumped to the top by an incoherent troll.

Just let it go.

:D I got a ps3....it sucks!:x It broke on me..and sony doesnt want to work on the 60GB..it still downloads Netflix and that sucks too!:o

:D I got no 360....it sucks! :x I wouldn't buy one cause I wont pay to play online...thats what the internet is for....it sucks too!:o

:music: I got my guitar and my atari..in fact..I even wrote a song about it.....but it sucked too!:o

Edited by Chris Leach
  • Like 1