IGNORED

Expansion Module game sneak peek

GroovyBee

This looks good.

I have to say though, for all the hype about the Expansion Module, for this to be the only game being previewed, I'm a little disappointed.

Seen as the thing hasn't even come out yet and the developers are hombrewers who also have real jobs I think you are being a little unfair and very impatient :roll:

• Like 4

I have to say though, for all the hype about the Expansion Module, for this to be the only game being previewed, I'm a little disappointed.

:roll: You complain when nothing is shown and then you complain that it isn't enough when a game is. You seem to forget that homebrew games are done in our spare time. However, if you want to privately fund a retro game development team at a commercial rate for programmers and artists then feel free to set up such a team. If not, you'll just have to be patient like everybody else.

• Like 8

This game looks amazing. It's things like this that will make me one of the first to buy an expansion module.

Thanks for the compliment.

BTW, did Curt set up a reserve list yet for it, because I want to be on that list...

As far as I'm aware there won't be a reserve/pre-order list. Anybody who wants a module will be able to buy one.

:roll: You complain when nothing is shown and then you complain that it isn't enough when a game is. You seem to forget that homebrew games are done in our spare time. However, if you want to privately fund a retro game development team at a commercial rate for programmers and artists then feel free to set up such a team. If not, you'll just have to be patient like everybody else.

I would have expected 3-4 titles being announced.

Your one game looks great. Where's the other teams' games? Are there any?

I'm not complaining. I'm asking where the software is. I don't see any.

• Like 2

Games will be announced when the developers are happy to announce them. Just because announcements aren't being made at the pace you want them to be doesn't mean nothing is being worked on. Game development is done in our free time. I suggest that learn to program the 7800 and then find the 100s of hours of free time needed to complete a game. Then you'll appreciate the effort that goes into the game and be much less impatient.

• Like 4

Underball, if you don't like what has been presented I suggest to stop looking at the thread and save room for someone who is interested. :|

We get your opinion already (and it's also very obvious) and everyone gets that people will be lining up for one.

Kudos to the amazing people who have been working as a team to get together what has been done. Groovy Bee it's amazing work as always and we respect the time and effort you put into programming something you do out of love and want vs requirements and making a profit. Everyone is always welcome to learn to program themselves and contribute something positive to the effort as Groovy Bee suggested.

Nows please to all involved, step back and lets not have any posts erased or other ugly consequences :ponder: and just ENJOY AND BE HAPPY ALREADY!

Thanks. :D

• Like 4

Look, I apologize if my comments seem out of line. I AM excited about this product. And that Dungeon game does look great.

I just thought CGE would be a bigger splash for this device. I guess I assumed wrong.

I know how long and hard projects like this are. But they always start with an idea first. I was hoping some of those ideas that are being worked on would be announced. I really wasn't expecting to even see any screenshots. Good luck with this project GB.

• Like 3

I just thought CGE would be a bigger splash for this device. I guess I assumed wrong.

I think you're making assumptions without having information on what was shown at CGE at all.

GroovyBee was kind enough to show pictures of HIS SPECIFIC GAME. There are more people on the council working on things and they haven't reported back on what they're demoing. Likewise, I've not seen anyone at CGE report on what they saw at CGE at all at this point.

Edited by DracIsBack

Games will be announced when the developers are happy to announce them. Just because announcements aren't being made at the pace you want them to be doesn't mean nothing is being worked on. Game development is done in our free time. I suggest that learn to program the 7800 and then find the 100s of hours of free time needed to complete a game. Then you'll appreciate the effort that goes into the game and be much less impatient.

What does one need to learn to program for this thing? I want to make games myself, but I don't know the first thing about programming. Is this something I can learn myself or do I need school?

What does one need to learn to program for this thing? I want to make games myself, but I don't know the first thing about programming. Is this something I can learn myself or do I need school?

It all depends on your background, perseverance level and inquisitiveness. Writing a game for a constrained system like the 7800 and 2600 is very different to writing games on a PC or mobile phone. Without derailing the thread have a look through the pinned links in the 2600 and 7800 programming sections. Download the documentation, read, experiment and ask questions when you get stuck. Learning a computer language with a specific goal in mind is a good incentive. If you have other questions just ask in the appropriate programming forums. Most of all.... Have fun!

• Like 1

I know. I kind of expected to see more posts about what's being shown at CGE since were in the age of the Internet, and all. Are the CGE people reporting by carrier pigeon?

They're probably enjoying the show!

What!!?? Enjoying the show :x

Selfish B... :ponder:

Get on already, we want a report...report!! report!!! :twisted:

• Like 2

I can understand what Underball means...

Doesnt mean I am sharing his point of view

but here is my question, seeing that the Expansion module, improves (expands?) the 7800 console for some stuff but cant do it for everything (sorry for being vague but I know nothing about that technology)...

us, "mortals",are we going to see the difference?

Like, yes that game would never be possible on a normal 7800 console or not?

That's a heck of a start Groovybee. Long road to travel, you say, but one that's probably going to be worth it.

Thanks for the screenie.

Everyone, if just one game gets done for the expansion, I'm golden. I want one, and remember that this stuff happens over a very long period of time usually. Once the things are out there, good stuff will happen.

Between that, and Batari's 7800 capable Harmony project, it looks like the 7800 will be seeing the love for a while. I can wait... :)

but here is my question, seeing that the Expansion module, improves (expands?) the 7800 console for some stuff but cant do it for everything (sorry for being vague but I know nothing about that technology)...

us, "mortals",are we going to see the difference?

As a starting point Expansion Module games will have much better sound. The Expansion Module has several NES like mappers to assist the CPU when dealing with certain techniques used in games. That means that less CPU cycles are lost handling MARIA. The extra CPU cycles could be used to move more things on screen, better opponent AI etc (its a long list ;)).

Like, yes that game would never be possible on a normal 7800 console or not?

The game currently runs on a stock 7800 using a CC2. Its blazingly fast considering its a software scroll :D.

That's a heck of a start Groovybee. Long road to travel, you say, but one that's probably going to be worth it.

Thanks for the screenie.

Thanks for the compliment. It was fun solving the scrolling problem in software to allow 25 colours per scan line. The technique can be used with other games too.

Everyone, if just one game gets done for the expansion, I'm golden. I want one, and remember that this stuff happens over a very long period of time usually. Once the things are out there, good stuff will happen.

Well put!

Between that, and Batari's 7800 capable Harmony project, it looks like the 7800 will be seeing the love for a while. I can wait... :)

Yep! Its all go on the 7800 front ;).