IGNORED

Halo for the 2600 Released at CGE! Download the game here!

Albert

Yeah, the fat guy on the right with triple lasers is the boss. You'll know you're on the right screen if Master Chief is half the normal size.

Confirmed yes. I beat him the 2nd time I got there! :D

One little bug I discovered: The anti-gravity float effect stops when floating from one room to the next ;)

Ha,ha....Halo 2600 is awesome! Nice job, Ed. I wish you were still at Microsoft. The Xbox lost it's heart a soul when you and a few others left. I'm a big Halo fan and would have went to this years CGE just to get a copy of this game. If Atari Age can make some more and sell them online here, I'll buy a copy in a heartbeat. Hey Ed, you should see if you can get this released for XB/Windows Live Arcade. Fun game!

Yeah, the fat guy on the right with triple lasers is the boss. You'll know you're on the right screen if Master Chief is half the normal size.

Confirmed yes. I beat him the 2nd time I got there! icon_mrgreen.gif

One little bug I discovered: The anti-gravity float effect stops when floating from one room to the next icon_wink.gif

I think it is simulating ice, like in the snow/winter levels in Halo.

I was going to make my own post here, but I'll just quote jaybird3rd:

People are going to hate me for this, but I'll say it anyway.

This is one reason I'm not quite as sympathetic as I might otherwise be to those homebrew developers who have had their games dumped and resold or posted for free download. An awful lot of those games--and the ones that are apparently being pirated the most--are themselves carbon-copy clones of other games. It's one thing to do a game that is "inspired" by something that came before, as long as you at least try to add something creative and original to your version, but doing a complete ripoff with the exact same name and even the same box art as the original is clearly going over the line.

In my opinion, these homebrew developers don't have much of a leg to stand on, morally speaking. So some software pirate is unjustly making money off of their work. What about the money they are unjustly making off of the original designers' and creators' work? What about the people who own those properties today? Aren't their rights being trampled on, too? I know the standard answer is that those property owners are Big Evil Corporations and that nobody's going to be hurt by a little stealing from The Man. Maybe not, but that doesn't make it right.

I should point out that, if you are a creator of a truly original work that has been pirated, none of this applies to you, and your indignation is entirely justified. But to those who have "made their living" in the homebrew scene by ripping off other people's games, I can only say this: you have my sympathies if you end up losing money on materials and production, but don't expect me to cheer you on when you post an online tantrum about the "evil software pirates" who are "taking money out of your pocket." Perhaps they would be more respectful of your rights if you showed more respect for the rights of others. The language may be too strong, but the phrase "no honor among thieves" comes to mind here.

This applies for Halo 2600, and I couldn't agree more. It's one thing for Ed to make himself a little pseudo-Halo game for giggles, but to actually release it to the public is not OK, and actually charging $$ crosses the line big time. :thumbsdown:

Is there a picture of the cart? I'd love to see what it looks like. I downloaded the rom and its great. Also made a quick little youtube video of the rom. Hope that's ok

The quote above got me thinking about this though - how is Bungee and/or Microsoft going to feel about this? Will there be legal problems from this release?

The quote above got me thinking about this though - how is Bungee and/or Microsoft going to feel about this? Will there be legal problems from this release?

If they didn't get permission, I would think the legal troubles would be limited. They didn't actually use any of the games copyrighted video or audio. I would think the plotline of the game would stray from the original because the 2600 just doesn't have the capabilities to run features the full game has. I don't think they can copyright the idea of the game, but I'm not 100% sure of that.(when you look at the dance they dance when Parker Brothers fights games close to Monopoly [which, I find ironic they are the only company permitted to make the game "Monopoly"] and they've won several cases against knock-off games) but in the Parker Brother's cases, the other companies are not crediting them, or acknowledging Monopoly. I would think this would classify more as a parody, or a "fan art" scenario. I doubt they used the original fonts from the game, or artwork, so they probably avoid any complications with trademarks. The only think I could really see wrong with it is they have "Halo" in the name. But the full name appears to be "Halo 2600", dodging that bullet.

Besides, If the companies get upset over this, they need to learn to lighten up and enjoy the free advertising. I have yet to play the game myself, but if the 2600 clone here is good enough, I might consider an investment (or at least look into it). Now, this isn't going to be a decision breaker for me, but my most advanced piece of gaming machinery is a Gamecube. I don't even think they make those games anymore. It might just be time for an upgrade.

This applies for Halo 2600, and I couldn't agree more. It's one thing for Ed to make himself a little pseudo-Halo game for giggles, but to actually release it to the public is not OK, and actually charging $$ crosses the line big time. :thumbsdown:

Do you even know who Ed Fries is? Here, I'll clue you in:

Ed Fries was vice president of game publishing at Microsoft during much of the Xbox's lifecycle. He was a prime evangelist of the platform to game developers and had an important role in the acquisition of developers Bungie Studios, Ensemble Studios and Rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Fries

Pretty sure he did this with full permission, ya think?

• Like 10

Is there a picture of the cart? I'd love to see what it looks like. I downloaded the rom and its great. Also made a quick little youtube video of the rom. Hope that's ok

I serioulsy doubt there's any problem. The cart itself after all has no story or anything. Without the title, it's just a cool game with a few different blobby characters which really don't resemble to much what game it's inspired by.

Like the above poster said, the only limited leg to stand on is the fact it has Halo in the title, but the full title is halo2600 so....Bungie/microsoft certianly doesn't own the idea of shooting aliens on a ring world, so the most that could be made done is to drop Halo. Had it been called ringworld or something, even the loosest courts in the world wouldn't be dumb enough to go against it.

This applies for Halo 2600, and I couldn't agree more. It's one thing for Ed to make himself a little pseudo-Halo game for giggles, but to actually release it to the public is not OK, and actually charging $ crosses the line big time. :thumbsdown:

Do you even know who Ed Fries is? Here, I'll clue you in:

Ed Fries was vice president of game publishing at Microsoft during much of the Xbox's lifecycle. He was a prime evangelist of the platform to game developers and had an important role in the acquisition of developers Bungie Studios, Ensemble Studios and Rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Fries

Pretty sure he did this with full permission, ya think?

Ah good to know. Thanks for the info. I definitely would like a cart if they become available outside of CGE.

Jeez, third post, I feel like I'm spamming out this thread, this is the first time I have ever run an emulator...I may have to find or make a joystick for this! Considering how easy it would be to make a joystick, probably the second.

AtariAge sells USB adaptors. :)