IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

BYTE Vol 08-09 1983-09 Portable Computers in Depth - 674 Pages, 442,998,784 bytes

Everything you wanted to know about portable computers including a a multi-page table comparing dozens of them. The main topic articles include Computing on the run, How to choose a portable, High-IQ Modems, The challenge of hard disk portability, and creating a portable visi-calc.

Some other very nice articles as well: A in-depth look at CMOS technology, the new micro floppy standards, Building a solid state camera that does not use film, the next five years in micro computing, Part 2 of the UNIX tutorial, The C Language primer part 2, the 8087 co-processor part 2, Echonet, an Introduction to Layered protocols, a CES report, and a ton of stuff I left out...

In-depth reviews: The Gavilan portable computer, TRS-80 Model 100, HP-75 Portable Computer, The Access Portable computer, Epson HX-20, Texas Instruments CC-40, The Pied Piper "portable", The Kaypro II, and the Corona Portable.

They were really churning out the articles in 1983.

Download it here: BYTE Vol 08-09 1983-09 Portable Computers in Depths

Cover

post-12606-128309463572_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128309464933_thumb.jpg post-12606-128309466261_thumb.jpg

Bonus

post-12606-128309467421_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I picked up a pile of these off of Craigslist for free. Mostly '84-'89. I'd be happy to donate them to this project if you want them.

I also got a bunch of PC Magazine of the same era, and on into the early 90s. I dunno if anyone is interested in these.

I definitely would be interested! Especially in anything up through 1986.

I just acquired another 14 BYTES.. As soon as they arrive in the mail I will get them posted to the initial thread topic list and we can compare them to see what is missing. Most of the ones I have coming in the mail appear to be older than what you have so there should not be too much overlap.

I made a more or less complete proofread OCR of Galaxy Game (I don't trust automatic OCR very much for program listings), but more importantly, I made a version of the code that actually assembles to match the hex codes in the listing, and I have attached the source and binary.

A few comments about the code:

1: for no good reason they insisted on using ASCII with the high bit set, instead of just handling that in the I/O routines

2: they apparently used little-endian numbers in the data storage (indicating this may have been "ported" from the 8008/8080 version), so numeric constants in a LDX instruction are byte-swapped in the source code

3: the text section contains numbers from an actual run of the game, so the hex was obviously dumped from an actual machine that had been running the game

If there was actually something worth running this on, I would try to create a version with these weirdnesses fixed, and labels for the text addresses. Instead, I just went for staying as close to the original source as possible.

Minor errata for the book:

Page 1-6: affect -> effect

Page 3-15: STAA #$018E -> STAA $018E

Page 5-10: at 0650, JMP GALAXY hex is actually JMP START

Whole book: "STAA/LDAA X" etc. addressing mode should be "STAA/LDAA 0,X"

galaxy.zip

• Like 2

I made a more or less complete proofread OCR of Galaxy Game (I don't trust automatic OCR very much for program listings),

Wow! You guys took the "Galaxy" book I scanned and uploaded, then you just RAN with it. I'm not sure if you're aware, but the day that Bill pointed to the scan was the very day, by coincidence, that I had uploaded the book to my APF MP-1000 website.

I took a look at the source, but I didn't try to assemble it. I presume that it will assemble with AS0?

Here is a useful link too:

Scelbi's Galaxy Game for Altair 680b

This posting briefly talks about a guy that typed-in the galaxy code and assembled it (in 2007!) on his Altair 680b computer. He posts the "paper tape" at this link as well. I'm not sure if this is playable on some type of Altair emulator or not...

So, which computer emulator will support this game? As it's written, the computer needs to be running the MIKBUG ML monitor. Any ideas?

It assembles with my own asmx assembler. The only thing non-standard to Motorola mnemonics is the HEX pseudo-op, which you can replace with FCB and some $ signs.

(Note: if you can't access that link, your ISP's DNS server sucks. Some of AT&T's anycast DNS servers refuse to serve it up, causing random failures. Use something more reliable like Google's 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 or Level3's 4.2.2.2 instead.)

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

BYTE Vol 00-02 1975-10 Build a Graphics Display - 100 Pages, 56,343,321 bytes

BYTE Issue #2 with lots of software and hardware articles: Testing Keyboards, add a stack to the 8008, building a graphics interface, an assembler for the 8008, LIFE line 2.

The picture of the Kluge Harp is insane and a must see on page 17.. You should build one!

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-02 1975-10 Build a Graphics Display

Cover

post-12606-128328137276_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128328138784_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

BYTE Vol 00-01 1975-09 The Worlds Greatest Toy! - 100 Pages (62,035,693 bytes)

BYTE Issue #1: Yes now you the humble reader can partake of the first issue of BYTE magazine. Read and be amazed by articles such as: Recycling used ICs, Deciphering mystery keyboards, and LIFE Line... But wait there is more! Find out which processor is best for you, read all about the RGS 008a Microcomputer Kit and learn all about the serial interface. Find out how to write your very own assembler. This and so much more! Download today!

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-01 1975-09 The Worlds Greatest Toy!

Cover

post-12606-12833043159_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-12833043286_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thumpnugget...the first issue of BYTE Magazine is a bit of a grail... you might get a bit more data traffic on your domain if word happens to slip out. May not happen, but just a fair warning. :)

Yes it feels like a ticking time bomb :) So far it has not been so bad. Two days ago there was about 10 gig of traffic which is the most for one day so far.. Still only 25% of the allocation. My thought was that I would post this before my trip so that if there is a spike because of issue #1 it would have time to work its way down... really though it could be months or never.

This is the last one for a couple of weeks. I have the next one done (the 1986 issue with the Atari ST on the front) so that I have something to post when I get back.. then it will go to a one or two per week schedule.. Since starting this 12 issues have been scanned but I have picked up 15 new ones (the new ones are not in the intitial thread list yet) so we are farther behind than when we started!

Anyone have any issues they are particularly wanting to see sooner rather than later? I was going to try to focus on the ones with the atari articles since that was suggested..

• Like 1

BYTE Vol 08-03 1986-03 Homebound Computing - 480 Pages, 327,471,133 bytes

The only BYTE where an Atari made the cover. This issue covers homebound computing with the main article being an in-depth review of the Atari 1040ST. Very interesting graph showing computers based on the price per megabyte. The 1040ST was the first computer to break the 1K per dollar mark. There are many other featured articles including finding the Titanic, A real-time clock, creating a simple windowing system (part 1), an ANSI standard for the C language, and a disassembler for the Macintosh.

Under the homebound computing theme there are some great articles: Working at home with computers (hey it might catch on), Using images to generate speech, The electronic University, The Kurzweil Voice Writer technology, Independence for the Aging, and computing for the blind user.

Reviews include the Kaypro 286i, the Modula-2 system for Z80 CP/M, Pocket APL, Arity Prolog, Braille-Edit, and Prinitit.

Finally in the Kernel we have Chaos Manor, the 68000 war round 1, and a look at the Amstrad PCW 8256.

The cover is seriously dirty for this issue. I did not spent a lot of time trying to clean it up as the rest of the magazine looked OK and the cleanup I did do was not looking good..

Download it here: BYTE Vol 11-03 1986-03 Homebound Computing

Cover

post-12606-128442568556_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128442999215_thumb.jpg post-12606-12844300072_thumb.jpg

• Like 4