IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

Somehow I too always passed this up on news stands barely giving it a glance. I GUESS I was so much of a dedicated Commodore guy I only bought the magazines specific to those platforms. Great browsing through these though, I love how they cover everything and I always considered all the time before there was just PC/MAC a wonderful and special time. Thanks so much for your efforts!

BYTE Vol 00-10 1976-06 The Game of LIFE Played in Color - 116 Pages, 66,407,949 bytes

BYTE Issue #10 from June 1976... Build a television display, build an M6800 Microcomputer, Do some matchmaking on an Altair, and interact with an ELM. Not enough for you? How about the second part to a chip off the PDP 8/E? An Introduction to addressing methods? A product description of SCELBAL, Programming for the beginner, A high school computer system, more, more, more!

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-10 1976-06 The Game of LIFE in Color

Cover

post-12606-12845992258_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128459923967_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Many many thanks indeed (Coming from the Netherlands)! Especially for posting another oldy from the seventies! I am currently doing research into early personal computing culture as evidenced by these classic computing magazines. It's a great period to study, especially because of the lack of standards, and therewith the wild variety of (personal) computing uses still in exploration, as evidenced by the image of for example the radio amateur with his installation on page 36. Love it!

It's a great period to study, especially because of the lack of standards, and therewith the wild variety of (personal) computing uses still in exploration, as evidenced by the image of for example the radio amateur with his installation on page 36. Love it!
I wasn't expecting all the circuit diagrams and hardware projects - I tend to forget about that part of early personal computing. Just the other day I was talking to a friend at work who was telling me he and his dad built a joystick for their Apple ][+ from diagrams in a magazine. I thought that was pretty cool. Edited by BydoEmpire

BYTE Vol 05-01 1980-01 Domesticated Computers - 276 Pages - 182,640,640 bytes

BYTE Vol 5-1 from January 1980... The first BYTE for the 1980's. The editorial talks about the era of Off-the-Shelf personal computers arriving. Major articles include using a computer to monitor your home with hardware designs for controlling dimmer switches and monitors for the furnace. Assembler programming articles for indirect addressing on the 6502 and relocating 8080 system software. More hardware articles? How about an Alpha Lock for an ASCII keyboard? Other articles include Polynomial functions using the TI-59 calculator, Dialing a telephone with a computer, a detailed look at a plotter, and an article on what computers can't do.

Download it here: BYTE Vol 05-01 1980-01 Domesticated Computers

Cover

post-12606-128485485886_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128485489184_thumb.jpg

Bonus

post-12606-128485487203_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

BYTE Vol 06-04 1981-04 Future Computers - 418 Pages - 279,064,576 bytes

BYTE Vol 6-4 from April 1981... Very interesting and technical heavy Issue. Features include: Recurrence in Numerical Analysis, Build a low cost analyzer, A look a the national computer conference in Chicago, Digital minicassette controller, programming the game of GO, Build your own Turing machine, A close up look at the TI Speak & Spell, An Introduction to Data compression, Build an intercomputer Data link, the second part of programming 3-D graphics, and programming PADDLE interfaces.

Reviews include the MicroAce computer, A reformatter for IBM and CP/M, and three versions of APL.

See the editorial on page 10 for a first look at the Osborne 1 computer that fits under an airline seat!

Download it here: BYTE Vol 06-04 1981-04 Future Computers

Cover

post-12606-1285288617_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128528863457_thumb.jpg

Bonus

post-12606-128528865388_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah! I have managed to snag issue #4 .. In the queue to do.. probably two weeks :)

Hi ThumpNugget, your iniciative is very appreciated, these magazines are a treasure that need to be shared... Very thanks!

Would you, if possible, give a priority to Vol 02 No 8, from August 1977? I have a interest in APL language and this issue is special on this topic.

Once more, THANK YOU! :)

Thanks very much for doing this. Some great reading, and an epic amount of scanning! huge thanks :)

I read about the bandwidth usage, so I have provided a couple of additional download routes for people - hoping that is ok.

my pretty slow ftp ftp://aero.exotica.org.uk/pub/media/magazines/byte/

some much faster webspace http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/byte/ (still uploading now mind)

I also split them into jpg's which I have made available, primarily so so I could read them on xbmc, but they are useful for browsing online.

Edited by exobuzz

I've been reading through these and am just impressed as all get out on the quality of the material. A lot of it has good relevance today, and that speaks to the quality of the publication.

Right now, one of the projects I have cooking is some tutorial / background type writing on a modern micro controller chip. The BYTE articles are proving to be a very valuable reference, inspiration for the level needed to communicate this stuff in a accessible way.

Thanks again! I've really gotten a lot out of these.

BYTE Vol 02-08 1977-08 Working with APL - 180 Pages - 106,543,021 bytes

BYTE Vol 2-8 from August 1977... All things wonderful about APL. Features include: Controlling small DC Motors with Analog Signals, Serendipitous Circles, and trapping techniques for the 8080 processor. There is also a microprocessor course, a close look at the COSMAC VIP from RCA, an 8 digit HEX readout, and simple algorithms for calculating functions. There is also a multi page "whats new" on that covers the Heathkit computers.

APL Articles: Understanding APL, APL in Action, an APL Interpreter for Microcomputers part I, and why people get hooked on APL.

Download it here: BYTE Vol 02-08 1977-08 Working with APL

Cover

post-12606-128554934826_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128554935991_thumb.jpg

Bonus

post-12606-128554937877_thumb.jpg post-12606-128554939292_thumb.jpg post-12606-128554940183_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks very much for doing this. Some great reading, and an epic amount of scanning! huge thanks :)

I read about the bandwidth usage, so I have provided a couple of additional download routes for people - hoping that is ok.

my pretty slow ftp ftp://aero.exotica.org.uk/pub/media/magazines/byte/

some much faster webspace http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/byte/ (still uploading now mind)

I also split them into jpg's which I have made available, primarily so so I could read them on xbmc, but they are useful for browsing online.

ah thanks much! Always good to get them spread out.. Harder to kill that way :) So far the bandwidth has not been too bad though it has picked up and for sure it has been mentioned somewhere.. The heaviest day was last week with 21 gigs in one day.

BYTE Vol 02-08 1977-08 Working with APL - 180 Pages - 106,543,021 bytes

BYTE Vol 2-8 from August 1977... All things wonderful about APL. Features include: Controlling small DC Motors with Analog Signals, Serendipitous Circles, and trapping techniques for the 8080 processor. There is also a microprocessor course, a close look at the COSMAC VIP from RCA, an 8 digit HEX readout, and simple algorithms for calculating functions. There is also a multi page "whats new" on that covers the Heathkit computers.

APL Articles: Understanding APL, APL in Action, an APL Interpreter for Microcomputers part I, and why people get hooked on APL.

Download it here: BYTE Vol 02-08 1977-08 Working with APL

Cover

post-12606-128554934826_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128554935991_thumb.jpg

Bonus

post-12606-128554937877_thumb.jpg post-12606-128554939292_thumb.jpg post-12606-128554940183_thumb.jpg

Fantastic! It's even better than I could imagine! Great articles!

Very very thanks, ThumpNugget!

BYTE Vol 00-15 1976-11 More Fun Than Crayons - 148 Pages - 86,318,711 bytes bytes

BYTE Issue #15 from November 1976... More electronic diagrams to build displays than you will see in any other magazine issue: Build a Beer budget graphics Interface, Add this graphics display to your system, An enterprising display device, make your next peripheral a real eye opener, and build this video dispaly terminal.. Five in one issue!

There are also articles on using graphics, wiring pencils, background information on graphics, and an introduction to the APL language... The Nucleus has a good look at the Astral 2000 computer, the Merlin video interface, and a proposes standard on publishing binary data. There is also an editorial on the address space saturation problem.

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-15 1976-11 More Fun than Crayons

Note: I also created a smaller version (120 dpi instead of 300 dpi) that shrinks the size to 26,578,057 bytes.. This will look the same to most viewers unless you have some insane resolution or like to get really close up.. Depending on the reception of this I may even squeeze it further (say another 25% smaller). I did not bookmark the smaller issue.

Download the smaller version here: BYTE Vol 00-15 1976-11 More Fun than Crayons SmallPDF

Cover

post-12606-128598488471_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128598491567_thumb.jpg

Bonus

post-12606-128598494024_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Status on the bandwidth: The transfer amount quadrupled about a week ago - mostly from European sites.. A couple of east European posts I saw and also a twitter that caused a spike of 25 gigs in one day.. Nothing over bounds... I can average 30 gigs a day with no worries. so far so good :)

BYTE Vol 00-15 1976-11 More Fun Than Crayons - 148 Pages - 86,318,711 bytes bytes

BYTE Issue #15 from November 1976... More electronic diagrams to build displays than you will see in any other magazine issue: Build a Beer budget graphics Interface, Add this graphics display to your system, An enterprising display device, make your next peripheral a real eye opener, and build this video dispaly terminal.. Five in one issue!

There are also articles on using graphics, wiring pencils, background information on graphics, and an introduction to the APL language... The Nucleus has a good look at the Astral 2000 computer, the Merlin video interface, and a proposes standard on publishing binary data. There is also an editorial on the address space saturation problem.

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-15 1976-11 More Fun than Crayons

Note: I also created a smaller version (120 dpi instead of 300 dpi) that shrinks the size to 26,578,057 bytes.. This will look the same to most viewers unless you have some insane resolution or like to get really close up.. Depending on the reception of this I may even squeeze it further (say another 25% smaller). I did not bookmark the smaller issue.

Download the smaller version here: BYTE Vol 00-15 1976-11 More Fun than Crayons SmallPDF

Cover

post-12606-128598488471_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-128598491567_thumb.jpg

Bonus

post-12606-128598494024_thumb.jpg

The smaller resolution version is a great idea. Maybe we should see whether people prefer that?

Keep it going, this is awesome and your work is greatly appreciated!!

The smaller resolution version is a great idea. Maybe we should see whether people prefer that?

Keep it going, this is awesome and your work is greatly appreciated!!

I didn't bother to download the smaller one, since I'd prefer them all to use the same resolution, and I have gobs of hard drive space. But if everyone else wants to go to a smaller size, I won't complain-- I'm just happy to be able to get these any way I can! :)

Michael