IGNORED

Super Circus AtariAge (new WIP)

PacManPlus

I just tried the latest version with my Cuttle Cart 2-- does that count?

I played a couple of rounds (one original, one enhanced) to get a high score on both. The game cycles through both of the high score pages fine; I let it sit for like 5 minutes. (the graphics didn't become garbled or anything)

I admit I didn't push it very hard, though. (and I discovered I really need a POKEY for my CC2 ;) ) Game was fun, though-- I'm not a huge fan of the original but I enjoyed this version more than I remembered from before!

Edited by Justin42

Hi Everyone:

@Justin42 - yes, that does count - thanks for testing it! :)

Very glad to hear that you did not give up on this!

Thanks. Although you can see it's still giving me issues. Some day I'd really like to re-write the HSC code itself. I need to figure out how the scores are stored first, and the index used to retrieve them (although I have a feeling they are just held in a list).

One suggestion, and I have no idea how hard it would be to implement, but what about adding a little animation to the clown moving the see saw back and forth, so his feet move when he's walking.

Hi Bob - Most of the games I do aren't about how hi-res the graphics are; I like to do ports and sequels. :) As GroovyBee pointed out, he works more on pushing the most graphics out of the machine.

As far as the animation of the clown on the ground, that might be a little tough - only for the fact that he's part of the teeter-totter graphic. But I'll look at it. Thanks for the feedback!

I have played this game about 20 times or so and once I got to 2500 points and sometimes the game only lasts about 15 seconds and I possibly blink and the clown hits the ground on the easy level, I am playing on the prosystem 1_3, possibly easier on real hardware with paddles?

I've made this version easier on the easy level. It never gets faster than the first high jump. Also, it is *definitely* easier with the paddles.

Also I have never seen the High score screen yet, is it in the last revision? The music seems very fitting to the game, is it using pokey audio or just the two channel TIA? Possibly could be even better with 4 channel sound, but really for this kind of classic game it might not be called for.

The High Score screen will be seen in the next release of ProSystem after the XM comes out.

I am using Pokey, and all four channels (two for the music, and two for sound effects). :) Thanks for the compliments on the music.

Ok - here's RC7

- Made changes to the HSC returning to the game (Allan, if you would please) ;)

- Made the 'Easy' level easier.

Thanks,

Bob

I've made this version easier on the easy level. It never gets faster than the first high jump. Also, it is *definitely* easier with the paddles.

Thanks - my ego was taking a bruising! :-)

Your not the only one. :)

I'll play test it tonight when I get home from work.

Allan

OK. Good news. You seem to have fixed it but.... When you finish a game it doesn't go to the High-score page. You can move the clowns back and forth but the program doesn't go to the high-score page. If you hit reset it just goes back to the select page.

One other bug I noticed. When you get (I think) more than 4 guys a fifth one appears on the right hand side of the screen. Even when you lose guys it doesn't disappear. PM me if you have any other questions.

Allan

Some day I'd really like to re-write the HSC code itself. I need to figure out how the scores are stored first, and the index used to retrieve them (although I have a feeling they are just held in a list).

Given that there are a fixed number of entry points in the HSC BIOS (so that each entry point has known functionality) and that it has two magic byte values (for games to check it is present in the system) you could probably do your own thing with how data is stored in the NVRAM. However, I'm not familiar with how games use the HSC so I could be talking rubbish.

Looks great, but damn it's hard :D Maybe my age :(

Believe me - it's like night and day when you are using paddles. I've played the 'joystick hacked' Circus Atari for the 2600 and it's also much harder.

I'm able to get over 20,000 just in testing (i.e. not playing to try for a high score) with the paddles in 'Normal' mode.

Bob

I don't have a CC2, an emulator, or a way of hooking up paddles with an emulator so I'll have to wait for the awesomeness. Can't wait until there is an H2 out or a cartridge version of this!

Could someone take a live video of the gameplay? It would be cool to hear and see the final product.

I don't have a CC2, an emulator, or a way of hooking up paddles with an emulator so I'll have to wait for the awesomeness. Can't wait until there is an H2 out or a cartridge version of this!

If you're on Windows then the ProSystem emulator is easy to use.

But if I wanted to use the paddles I'd need a stella adapter then right?

Edited by Madaracs