IGNORED

Is there a 520ST translator for the STE/TT machines?

Hulsie

I was wondering if anybody knew if there was software available for the 1040STe or similar high-end machines that would run software that normally only runs on the 520ST (kind of like the 800 Translator for the XE/XL machines). I have several games that only work on the 520, and of course STOS and its games don't work on the 1040 either... Just curious.

if it runs on a 520 STFM then it should run fine on a 1040 STFM, as the only difference is memory.

STOS deffinately works, and I am pretty sure it works on the STe too. it just doesn't take advantage of the extra hardware. There is very little software that had issues with the STe as the extra hardware was transparent and used previously unused hardware addresses so as not to cause mass software breakage.

All ST's should be able to run the same software (except STe specific software which obvioulsy only runs on an STe).

at their core all the systems are the same.. what are you having problems running?

Well here's the problem with STOS... The STOS program itself starts up fine, but does not respond to any mouse or keyboard commands. It's like it's frozen on that blue text input screen. If I try and run STOS BAS files they do the same thing: freeze on the first screen. Finally, if I try and run any game that was written in STOS and has been compiled into a PRG file (like HURRY.PRG or ORBIT.PRG) I get two bombs and it goes back to the desktop.

Other things that give my STe trouble are:

- Populous

- Baby Jo

- Days of Thunder

- Skateball

- Various Psygnosis games (Baal and Leander specifically, but the Lemmings games work fine)

- Various pirate menu screens

I know there's more, but I cannot think of them offhand... And I know the software I have isn't corrupted or anything (as least I don't think so), because it all works fine on my 520st.

Odd, I don't actually remeber the Blue screen in STOS... been a long time, I know some pirate menus had problem, as pompey pirates released patches for their menus.

There must be some sketchy coding going on to stop those titles from working. it is VERY odd.

I don't know of any way to get an STe to disable it's extra hardware.. I know some games had issues with machines that had more than 1 Meg of RAM.

I am deffinately suprised by Populous not working. do your other titles work ok?

if it runs on a 520 STFM then it should run fine on a 1040 STFM, as the only difference is memory.

All ST's should be able to run the same software (except STe specific software which obvioulsy only runs on an STe).

at their core all the systems are the same..  what are you having problems running?

Not quite true...there were many games that only ran on the original TOS, version 1.0. Plutos comes to mind...

Your answer is: multiple TOS system. There are several "mod" instructions online for adding more than one version of TOS to your computer, some software, some hardware with a switch, I'm going to do this myself, even though I have a 1040stf, I *think* my version is 1.2 on two chip rom, but I'm not sure as I can't seem to find out by looking under the "system" drop-down menu, it just says "TOS." But, I plan on installing later TOS's for a better all around operating system&gem, but will keep my current TOS in there just in case of incompatiblity problems...

Thanks for your help, guys! I found a couple FAQs on some newsgroups and apparently (like a couple of you guys mentioned here) the problem with the software not running isn't because of the computer itself, but because of conflicting versions of TOS.

I think I'll try looking for a multi-TOS mod as well....