IGNORED

MagicJack-Is this something you'd buy or have bought?

Defender II

My experience with magic jack. I've had it for about a year now. I keep an older Compaq P4 laptop on a end table in my basement that runs the magic jack 24/7 so i don't need to worry about it running on our family computer.

I live in NJ and cablevision is my internet provider. When I 1st started using magicjack, it was horrible! I found it was a combination of things. Cablevision had a congestion problem with their network in my area. The other problem was I was using a belkin router with no QOS.

My house does a lot of internet use from newgroup downloading, gaming to browsing, all at once. If a call came in, the magic jack was crap. Stuttering broken up calls.

Long and short of it, cablevision fixed the local problem. So its very important you have a reliable ISP. Magicjack started working good, but when my home network was using a lot of internet the calls still sucked...less but not really usable.

I went to bestbuy and purchased a $100 netgear router that advertised it had advance QOS features on the box. (quality of service) I switched to this router and configure it so that the MAC address of the magicjack laptop gets highest priority.

BINGO. It now works as good or better than any VERIZON land line, or Optimum voice number I've ever had.

Sum it up: dedicated magic jack copmputer, reliable steady ISP, good QOS router = great magicjack service. The price just cant be matched even after investing in a old cheap craigslist laptop and a good router.

How much do you pay in Taxes/Fees each month?

I was also looking into the Duo, but haven't got it yet. Does anyone have the Duo????

You plug it directly into the router or a PC your choice!

This one looks even better, but costs a little more.

NetTalks Duo

compare

You don't even need to have a PC turned on all of the time! Just a router!!

duo_three_M.jpg

More pictures

FAQs You can use a FAX!

What do you think?! MajicJack $19.95/YR vs DUO $29.95/YR

I think running a computer 24/7/365 will cost more than $10...

What about the videophone?

I have the Duo, MJ, and Ooma.

I would keep my Duo over the others, any day.

You can use it direct to a router, or through USB-to-computer, (if you need to connect via wifi).

It has more features. It is improving its service, while MJ stagnates and causes new problems.

Plus, now you can use your Duo service with your smartphone! http://www.nettalk.com/smartphone

The biggest advantage MJ has over the DUO is number porting IMO. I need my current number so the DUO is not an option. Running MJ on a dedicated laptop is really no big deal.

MJ does not allow porting IN, either. However, if you want to keep your MJ number, then I see your problem. Since I am still running all four of my VOIP devices, including MJ, it's not a problem. I have MJ permanently forwarded to my NetTalk device. I make calls out using MJ, and all my incoming calls go to NetTalk.

MJ allows porting in your number starting Monday Nov 1st.

;)

I hope so. They've been saying "next quarter" for about two years now.

My experience with magic jack. I've had it for about a year now. I keep an older Compaq P4 laptop on a end table in my basement that runs the magic jack 24/7 so i don't need to worry about it running on our family computer.

I live in NJ and cablevision is my internet provider. When I 1st started using magicjack, it was horrible! I found it was a combination of things. Cablevision had a congestion problem with their network in my area. The other problem was I was using a belkin router with no QOS.

My house does a lot of internet use from newgroup downloading, gaming to browsing, all at once. If a call came in, the magic jack was crap. Stuttering broken up calls.

Long and short of it, cablevision fixed the local problem. So its very important you have a reliable ISP. Magicjack started working good, but when my home network was using a lot of internet the calls still sucked...less but not really usable.

I went to bestbuy and purchased a $100 netgear router that advertised it had advance QOS features on the box. (quality of service) I switched to this router and configure it so that the MAC address of the magicjack laptop gets highest priority.

BINGO. It now works as good or better than any VERIZON land line, or Optimum voice number I've ever had.

Sum it up: dedicated magic jack copmputer, reliable steady ISP, good QOS router = great magicjack service. The price just cant be matched even after investing in a old cheap craigslist laptop and a good router.

I was also looking into the Duo, but haven't got it yet. Does anyone have the Duo????

NetTalks Duo

compare

duo_three_M.jpg

More pictures

FAQs You can use a FAX!

You can use it direct to a router, or through USB-to-computer, (if you need to connect via wifi).

It has more features. It is improving its service, while MJ stagnates and causes new problems.

Plus, now you can use your Duo service with your smartphone! http://www.nettalk.com/smartphone

The biggest advantage MJ has over the DUO is number porting IMO. I need my current number so the DUO is not an option. Running MJ on a dedicated laptop is really no big deal.

MJ does not allow porting IN, either. However, if you want to keep your MJ number, then I see your problem. Since I am still running all four of my VOIP devices, including MJ, it's not a problem. I have MJ permanently forwarded to my NetTalk device. I make calls out using MJ, and all my incoming calls go to NetTalk.

;)

I looked a month ago and it said "Coming soon." Now it says "November 1st."

NetTalks Duo

compare

duo_three_M.jpg

More pictures

FAQs You can use a FAX!

;)

I looked a month ago and it said "Coming soon." Now it says "November 1st."

I'm not saying it won't. I'm just saying they've promised dates before, plenty of times. They come and go. There is plenty of history available at the unofficial forum.

But, you never know...

50% off coupon for NetTalk Duo expires tonight at midnight!

Here is the code: NTLKISCRZY

www.nettalk.com

I was AFK for awhile and missed the coupon. Where did you get the coupon code and where do you enter it for ordering? Was it just 50% of the initial purchase or off of the annual fees too?

How much do you pay in Taxes/Fees each month for the Duo?

What is it you don't like about the Ooma?

With the Ooma... aren't the monthly taxes/fees the only things you ever need to pay after you pay for the Ooma itself?

Send me a PM if you get another discount coupon. Thanks.

Edited by Defender II

50% off coupon for NetTalk Duo expires tonight at midnight!

Here is the code: NTLKISCRZY

www.nettalk.com

I was AFK for awhile and missed the coupon. Where did you get the coupon code and where do you enter it for ordering? Was it just 50% of the initial purchase or off of the annual fees too?

How much do you pay in Taxes/Fees each month for the Duo?

What is it you don't like about the Ooma?

With the Ooma... aren't the monthly taxes/fees the only things you ever need to pay after you pay for the Ooma itself?

Send me a PM if you get another discount coupon. Thanks.

50% was a short fused discount. I learned of it in the forum.

AFAIK, the 25% coupon still works: NTLK25OFF

It is a discount off the initial price of the unit.

The Duo has no other charges, other than $29.95 yearly subscription.

Ooma costs much more upfront, and has monthly tax charges of a few bucks. Plus you get fewer free features with the Ooma, compared to the Duo. They want you to pay 10 bucks a month for their "premium" service. I do like my Ooma, though. It's a solid, reliable unit.

Additionally, the Ooma is a much bigger device. The Duo is just a bit bigger than the Magic Jack. The other benefit of the Duo, is it can plug directly into your router, like Ooma, or use your computer's internet connection (even wifi), by connecting via USB (like Magic Jack).

This two-way system is why they named it the Duo.

After doing some comparisons between Ooma, MJ, Netalk, Skype and Google Voice. I will probably start using Skype. I can get Skype on my Iphone and my wife can use it on a computer in whatever country she goes to. There are also Skype phones that we could connect to our network. It seems like the most flexible solution and costs are fairly low too. My wife likes the "Online" number feature. We can get phone numbers in the countries she is doing business in.

50% was a short fused discount. I learned of it in the forum.

AFAIK, the 25% coupon still works: NTLK25OFF

It is a discount off the initial price of the unit.

The Duo has no other charges, other than $29.95 yearly subscription.

Ooma costs much more upfront, and has monthly tax charges of a few bucks. Plus you get fewer free features with the Ooma, compared to the Duo. They want you to pay 10 bucks a month for their "premium" service. I do like my Ooma, though. It's a solid, reliable unit.

Additionally, the Ooma is a much bigger device. The Duo is just a bit bigger than the Magic Jack. The other benefit of the Duo, is it can plug directly into your router, like Ooma, or use your computer's internet connection (even wifi), by connecting via USB (like Magic Jack).

This two-way system is why they named it the Duo.

Thanks for your replies.

I am now sure I will get one of these two, but want to clarify some points to decide which...

I'm still not clear how the Duo gets past the monthly Federal fees & taxes and state and local taxes. (Majic Jack and Ooma pass them on to the user so why not the Dou?)

Do they just add them to the once-per-year $29.95? How much are the taxes/fees each year for you?

So, the Ooma with standard service you only need to pay the monthly taxes/fees after you pay for the Ooma itself. Do you get the 'Premium' service?

How do the total of all the Ooma monthly fees/taxes compare to the Duo subscription and fees/taxes?

Thanks again!

New 50% off coupon for the NetTalk Duo is good until midnight on 11/15/2010!

Only good at their main site: www.nettalk.com

Code: NTLKCRZYDISC

Thanks, I will probably be using it soon. ;)

Thanks for your replies.

I am now sure I will get one of these two, but want to clarify some points to decide which...

I'm still not clear how the Duo gets past the monthly Federal fees & taxes and state and local taxes. (Majic Jack and Ooma pass them on to the user so why not the Dou?)

Do they just add them to the once-per-year $29.95? How much are the taxes/fees each year for you?

So, the Ooma with standard service you only need to pay the monthly taxes/fees after you pay for the Ooma itself. Do you get the 'Premium' service?

How do the total of all the Ooma monthly fees/taxes compare to the Duo subscription and fees/taxes?

Thanks again!

Here is a cost breakdown for each device:

Magic Jack

Initial price=$39.95 (includes first year)

Yearly renewal=$20.91 ($19.95 + $0.96. This is described on the receipt as "Includes 4.8% surcharge for Regulatory expense, surcharges or taxes".

NetTalk Duo

Initial price=$34.98 (Includes first year. Using 50% off coupon. Regularly $69.95)

Yearly renewal=$29.95 (No fees added. They're probably built-in to cost)

Ooma Telo

Initial price=$249.95 (Can be found for $199.00, or cheaper when refurbished.)

Yearly renewal=$00.00 !

Monthly Taxes = http://www3.ooma.com/tax_calculator.php (it apparently varies by location)

So you can see that there is variety of pricing schemes. VOIP is still being figured out by the government, and some of the difference depends on how each company operates and positions itself legally (or at least they think it does). "We're not a telco, we're just a enhanced data service", etc.

One advantage for Ooma, they currently offer LNP (Local Number Porting), which means you can transfer your current phone number to them (for a fee). Both NT and MJ claim to offer that "soon", but they've been saying that for a while, especially MJ.

No problem helping out with info. All three will get the job done, so it's a fairly safe gamble.

Edited by Jay Silverheels

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks again!

Here is a cost breakdown for each device:

Magic Jack

Initial price=$39.95 (includes first year)

Yearly renewal=$20.91 ($19.95 + $0.96. This is described on the receipt as "Includes 4.8% surcharge for Regulatory expense, surcharges or taxes".

NetTalk Duo

Initial price=$34.98 (Includes first year. Using 50% off coupon. Regularly $69.95)

Yearly renewal=$29.95 (No fees added. They're probably built-in to cost)

Ooma Telo

Initial price=$249.95 (Can be found for $199.00, or cheaper when refurbished.)

Yearly renewal=$00.00 !

Monthly Taxes = http://www3.ooma.com/tax_calculator.php (it apparently varies by location)

So you can see that there is variety of pricing schemes. VOIP is still being figured out by the government, and some of the difference depends on how each company operates and positions itself legally (or at least they think it does). "We're not a telco, we're just a enhanced data service", etc.

One advantage for Ooma, they currently offer LNP (Local Number Porting), which means you can transfer your current phone number to them (for a fee). Both NT and MJ claim to offer that "soon", but they've been saying that for a while, especially MJ.

No problem helping out with info. All three will get the job done, so it's a fairly safe gamble.

Thanks again.

It seems too good to be true. I get the feeling the government will bring the hammer down on these soon 'tho'. I don't see the legal room for them to do it since these companies must already be paying the taxes and fees on their phone bills when they make the connection on the receiving end of the calls. The only ones where there would be no fees are calls that start, connect, and end completely over the Internet, so maybe the government would try to wheedle a tax in there somewhere. I don't think it would be fair because we are already paying the fees and taxes on our Internet connection services.

All three companies still need to pay the taxes and fees when they put our calls through on the receiving end so I'm sure they will pass them on to us. At least Ooma is charging monthly taxes and fees for Federal, but my state and local taxes didn't get added into the calculator in their site (it did show that it had those as possible additions). Just the Taxes and fees required by Ooma for 12 months total more than the annual fees of either of the other two. ~$4.00*12=$48.00 so, I guess I will go with the Duo which can be hooked directly to the router.

I hope this discussion helps a few other members save some $$$ in this economy.