IGNORED

SpartaDOS Commander

drac030

I am working on a NC-like file manager and shell for SpartaDOS X. Not everything is complete yet, but the program is already usable. The forum hasn't allowed me to attach an ARC file, so I am linking it externally:

http://drac030.krap.pl/sc082.arc

The program requires SpartaDOS X 4.42 - older versions need too much patching (I tried to prepare a set of patches to run it on 4.20, but I gave up for now). Also an 80-column display is required, thus VBXE with FX core is recommended. If there is no VBXE, GR.8 is used to emulate the required text resolution. The program needs adding a line to the CONFIG.SYS file, installation instructions inside the archive. You may also need an XL-OS-compatible OS (i.e. the legal XL OS calls must be present).

Here's how the programs looks like (less or more, as the snapshot is from a previous version):

GTIA:

sc_081_gtia.png

VBXE (no colors for now, they're planned later):

sc_081_vbxe.png

Edited by drac030
  • Like 1

I just gave it a try and I'm very impressed! The tool looks and feels very much like what I expect from a NC clone. At the moment it's indeed very alpha. It crashes a lot and sometimes even when you don't touch anything it freezes!

Do you have a bug tracking or do you simply prefer bug reports in this forum?

I'm interested how the "rc_gr8" (rc = release candidate?) works. Could it be used from any tool not only SC?

What do you have on the feature list? On my personal wish list would be i.e.:

- Macros/Launch Favourite Tool

- internal file viewer or external

- editor / link with LW :)

- shortcut for drive changes (aka ALT+F1)

- compare tools

- Find Tools

- zip/arc/tar support (that's gonna be hard *g)

thanks drac for shareing with us your interesting project..

grtx,

\twh!

I prefer bug reports here. If it "crashes" for you or does anything otherwise bad, I'd like to get steps to reproduce the behaviour. In fact, I have recently copied over my entire harddisk with SC and it didn't make me any trouble. The only cause for it to "crash" (i.e. abort and reload) I have determined so far is when you change one of the disks opened in either panel, to an unreadable one, and then try to execute a command via the command line. The SC then reloads itself once before you can proceed with the command.

"RC" stands for "Raw Console". The driver installs a symbol named "_RAWCON". The symbol points to a table of function vectors, and SC accesses these functions via the symbol. For now, the driver is very limited (e.g. no scrolls), but it is planned to develop it into something more complete (so that you can run the 80-column E: console with it, and other tools as well).

The features you want I want too ;) I'll subsequently implement these, just not now, because tomorrow I am leaving for vacations. This gives users (if any) more time to test the program and report bugs here ;) Again, in case of a bug report, PLEASE provide the CONFIG.SYS you used and steps to reproduce, as exact as possible.

The "shortcut for drive changes" is already there, it is Control/L (aka "Log" - like in ICD's MENU)

PS. In case of freezes, please try it out on an emulator. If the behaviour is not reproducible under an emulator, then it may be the hardware, which is at fault.

Edited by drac030

Just wanted to say, "Thanks for doing this"...

I made a suggestion for a program like this a while back, and I am glad to see someone had the same idea.

Hope you make it the absolute best it can be..

I have an old 386 (MSDOS 6.22) machine that I use for old PC based games and apps.. It has Q-DOS installed on it, and it is an absolute breeze to navigate the hardisk directory structure and perform various tasks.. If you ask me, the lack of having a program like this has greatly contributed to the cumbersome nature of ATARI hardisk setups since day-1...

Keep up the good work, man..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Just wanted to say, "Thanks for doing this"...

I made a suggestion for a program like this a while back, and I am glad to see someone had the same idea.

Hope you make it the absolute best it can be..

I have an old 386 (MSDOS 6.22) machine that I use for old PC based games and apps.. It has Q-DOS installed on it, and it is an absolute breeze to navigate the hardisk directory structure and perform various tasks.. If you ask me, the lack of having a program like this has greatly contributed to the cumbersome nature of ATARI hardisk setups since day-1...

Keep up the good work, man..

Wow - somebody else remembers (still uses!) MSDOS 6.22 + QDos. I had that setup on my first 486PC and it was great.

Wow - somebody else remembers (still uses!) MSDOS 6.22 + QDos. I had that setup on my first 486PC and it was great.

I think there are way more MS-Dos users then we all think. Still running APE 1.18D on a 486 with MS-Dos 6.22EN. Also, on my WinXP system I still use the command prompt every now and then and the VC.BAT file still does a good job starting up "Volkov Commander"

5wz85z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Any plans to do a 40-col version?

Considering. There are two ways to do the 40-column version: shrinking the panels horizontally giving up the "unnecessary" information. It's what the Atari Commander does. Or displaying only one panel at a time - I guess the MENU (i.e. the SpartaDOS X CAR:MENU.COM) is currently better at that.

I just wanted to say that I tried this out today finally and was really impressed. I'm still waiting for my VBXE so I was running using the GR.8 80 column device but the program was still very useable and the display easy to read.

Thanks drac! I look forward to seeing this develop.

Now that Drac/KMK is back home from vacation we can't wait to see more alpha releases of this wonderfull program :)

remember, that i reported unstability? I think I found it out. It seems that my old atarimax cart (1mbit flash cart) was the reason for the trouble. I guess the flash memory is "kind of unstable". I suspected that already. Then I ordered a new new 8mbit version, flashed with SDX et viola it's seems stable.

unfortunately my atari monitor screwed up last night. I first need a replacement ... of course .. because I prefer the real machine :)

grtx,

\twh

In total, there are currently four options of an UI for SDX:

1) the default command processor (COMMAND.COM)

2) the X-Tree-like MENU.COM (which as of 4.42 can also be used as a shell)

3) MYDUP.COM, which mimics - to a reasonable extent - the MyDOS' DUP.SYS (not yet officially released, but already tested by some kind individuals)

4) SC.COM (in development)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi drac,

any progress with the tool?

As I wrote, I could not find the instability anymore. the tools runs perfectly with my new AtariMax cart.

One helpful feature would be to "jump to directory". I know that this could be done with the command prompt "cd <dir>" but this forces SC to unload and this takes with SIO drives quite a while for all the disk operations which it requires.

Bug or Feature?:

in a root folder let's "A:\" I see a first entry ">" marked as directory. it can be seen also in your screenshot. What is the meaning of it?

grtx,

\twh