IGNORED

5th screen Prototype for Donkey Kong Junior ADAM

ed1475

I uploaded a Youtube video of the 5th screen for Donkey Kong Junior. It's too bad this wasn't released by Coleco. The gameplay is very good.

Okay, so the thing in the lower right corner is a toaster! I always wondered about that.

Thank you very much for putting this video together! :D

It has a sort of "Jet Set Willy" madness to it. Very english. So, this extra level, was it to be an ADAM exclusive?

Coleco's original Super Donkey Kong Jr. release (that was available to purchase in stores) only contained the original four screens from the arcade version (with of course all the intermissions and high score saving). This version with the additional 5th screen was the originally planned release by Coleco before Nintendo stepped in and complained about the changes/additions, so Coleco backed down and never released it. The original 5 Screen Super DK Jr. required the user to enter a keypad sequence in order to unlock the 5th screen, but this "Easter Egg" was circumvented by, I think, Walters Software Co. so that the game would automatically play the the 5th screen in it's proper sequence.

All the versions of 5 Screen Super DK Jr. are included in the Coleco & ADAM Collection.

BTW, Super Donkey Kong was to also include a 5th screen before Nintendo put their foot down... never saw this one.

Jim

Edited by NIAD

Are these or any adam super games available on cartridge form?

No, none of the "SUPER" games were ported back to the ColecoVision as cartridges as at the time 32K was the largest size doable in cartridge form and the Super Games were all over 100K in size and took advantage of the ADAM's extra memory and multi-loading (disk or digital data pack) capabilities. It would be quite a choir to convert a Super Game back to ColecoVision format and would require a new cartridge PCB like the MegaCart PCB or the new Activision PCB being developed to allow for bank-switching new levels into memory.

What you do have availble are the original cartridge versions of Super Games that, of course, are missing parts of the Super Games:

- Donkey Kong

- Donkey Kong Jr.

- Buck Rogers

- SubRoc

- Dam Busters

- B.C.'s Quest for Tires

- B.C. II: Grog's Revenge

- Zaxxon

So, in order to play any of the Super Game versions, you WILL need an ADAM Computer with at least 1 Digital Data Drive (a 5 1/4" Disk Drive would be better for speed) or when the ADAMnet SD Drive is released (hopefully soon... watch this forum for word) you will be able to copy the EMULATOR DISK OR DDP image file to the SD Card of the ADAMnet SD Drive and play on the ADAM as well.

Without the ADAMnet SD Drive, you will have to know how to transfer an ADAM Emulator DDP or Disk Image back to an actual ADAM Disk in order to play on the ADAM and if you wanted the game on DDP, you could then transfer from the ADAM Disk to a DDP (Super Games HAVE to be copied to Right Directory DDPs, not the standard Center Directory DDP).

So to simplify things, get an ADAM (there's one on eBay for $89) and if you don't have the means to transfer images back and forth or know someone that can do it for you, wait for the ADAMnet SD Drive to be released. The other option would be to play the Super Games through an emulator like Virtual ADAM / ADAMem.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Edited by NIAD

On the right side of the screen, on the white box, there's a big red button you can reach over and push.

I don't remember if it actually does anything other than go "BOOP". I think it might stop the blender from going back and forth for a while. Is there any way to fight off those crawling dough blobs?

• Like 1

I've never bought that rumor that this was actually a legit screen done at Coleco. The whole thing seems too 'homebrew' for me to believe that. My theory is that it was a fan made hack. Can anyone provide evidence that this was indeed legit?

Tempest

• Like 1

I've never bought that rumor that this was actually a legit screen done at Coleco. The whole thing seems too 'homebrew' for me to believe that. My theory is that it was a fan made hack. Can anyone provide evidence that this was indeed legit?

Tempest

No, this was an actual Coleco made prototype that found it's way out the doors back in the late '80s. As I stated in my previous message, Coleco had plans to add additional levels to Donkey Kong and DK Jr., but Nintendo put an end to that as they didn't want there games changed.

Jim

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

On the right side of the screen, on the white box, there's a big red button you can reach over and push.

I don't remember if it actually does anything other than go "BOOP". I think it might stop the blender from going back and forth for a while.

I just tried it and it does make a sound effect. That's all though.

Interesting but obviously incomplete and the collision detection is not active.

There is collision detection. A plunger gets Junior at the end of the video.

• Like 1

Tempest

Actually, that version looks identical to the Adam version. I recorded a video of the Adam version being played. I added the elevator screen to show how choppy and crappy they programmed the spring animation. I also included a quick clip of the rivets, to show the extra colors in the screen. Sorry about the lack of sound. Something got messed up, but I figure it's better than nothing.

DK_ADAM.wmv

Tempest

Actually, that version looks identical to the Adam version. I recorded a video of the Adam version being played. I added the elevator screen to show how choppy and crappy they programmed the spring animation. I also included a quick clip of the rivets, to show the extra colors in the screen. Sorry about the lack of sound. Something got messed up, but I figure it's better than nothing.

Here's a better version of JUST the conveyor. Sorry the sound is so off...

Tempest

Sorry.. I clicked post before the file uploaded. Enjoy...

Adam_SuperDK.wmv

Tempest

Sorry.. I clicked post before the file uploaded. Enjoy...

I am sorry guys. I revisited this post days later (when I was awake), and I realize I mixed up DK & Dk Jr. It was LATE, and I was searching for an update for Donkey Kong, and I THOUGHT I'd found a post about the DK Supergame (with the prototype conveyor screen). I should have read up the post.. My bad.

No, none of the "SUPER" games were ported back to the ColecoVision as cartridges as at the time 32K was the largest size doable in cartridge form and the Super Games were all over 100K in size and took advantage of the ADAM's extra memory and multi-loading (disk or digital data pack) capabilities. It would be quite a choir to convert a Super Game back to ColecoVision format and would require a new cartridge PCB like the MegaCart PCB or the new Activision PCB being developed to allow for bank-switching new levels into memory.

What you do have availble are the original cartridge versions of Super Games that, of course, are missing parts of the Super Games:

- Donkey Kong

- Donkey Kong Jr.

- Buck Rogers

- SubRoc

- Dam Busters

- B.C.'s Quest for Tires

- Zaxxon

So, in order to play any of the Super Game versions, you WILL need an ADAM Computer with at least 1 Digital Data Drive (a 5 1/4" Disk Drive would be better for speed) or when the ADAMnet SD Drive is released (hopefully soon... watch this forum for word) you will be able to copy the EMULATOR DISK OR DDP image file to the SD Card of the ADAMnet SD Drive and play on the ADAM as well.

Without the ADAMnet SD Drive, you will have to know how to transfer an ADAM Emulator DDP or Disk Image back to an actual ADAM Disk in order to play on the ADAM and if you wanted the game on DDP, you could then transfer from the ADAM Disk to a DDP (Super Games HAVE to be copied to Right Directory DDPs, not the standard Center Directory DDP).

So to simplify things, get an ADAM (there's one on eBay for $89) and if you don't have the means to transfer images back and forth or know someone that can do it for you, wait for the ADAMnet SD Drive to be released. The other option would be to play the Super Games through an emulator like Virtual ADAM / ADAMem.

Hope this helps.

Jim

I played a rom on the Colecovision via the SD MULTICART

with the same introduction as the arcade

is it not the ADAM SUPER DONKEY KONG?

Coleco's original Super Donkey Kong Jr. release (that was available to purchase in stores) only contained the original four screens from the arcade version (with of course all the intermissions and high score saving). This version with the additional 5th screen was the originally planned release by Coleco before Nintendo stepped in and complained about the changes/additions, so Coleco backed down and never released it. The original 5 Screen Super DK Jr. required the user to enter a keypad sequence in order to unlock the 5th screen, but this "Easter Egg" was circumvented by, I think, Walters Software Co. so that the game would automatically play the the 5th screen in it's proper sequence.

All the versions of 5 Screen Super DK Jr. are included in the Coleco & ADAM Collection.

BTW, Super Donkey Kong was to also include a 5th screen before Nintendo put their foot down... never saw this one.

Jim

That prototype just looks and sounds and plays Fantastic!! :D I really hope that all homebrewers who wanna make platform game (on any old system) would take a peek to old classic games for ideas!! :)

I always thought Konami staff as bastards, as they released one game as several cartridges. On MSX, Track&Field was halved to two cartridges: Track&Field 1 and Track&Field 2, Hyper Sports was put into THREE cartridges!! Though I understand that it was partly because high cost of memory, but still it felt very unfair in the eighties. Coleco went even further by publishing same game many times by just adding one screen more so they could call it as a "new" game.... :twisted: ...and then doing it again.... and again....

Edited by mäsäxi

- Donkey Kong

- Donkey Kong Jr.

- Buck Rogers

- SubRoc

- Dam Busters

- B.C.'s Quest for Tires

- Zaxxon

Hope this helps.

Jim

Thanks for the info. It helped a lot.

- Donkey Kong

- Donkey Kong Jr.

- Buck Rogers

- SubRoc

- Dam Busters

- B.C.'s Quest for Tires

- Zaxxon

Hope this helps.

Jim

Yeah, I should have went back and edited my post. Someone at Coleco, I THINK, was in the process of programming Super Donkey Kong and Super Donkey Kong Jr. for release on cartridge for the ColecoVision. These two prototype cartridge images that have been available for years were the result of having a number of years of porgramming knowledge available to them re. the ColecoVision and probably better development tools.

The original 1982 release of Donkey Kong (that came with the ColecoVision) was actually 24K in size and then a newer version was released in 1983 that was 16K in size (the less chips required, the less money it cost). Then, I assume, Coleco had the bright idea to make some more money off the Donkey Kong titles by developing full versions (with all four screens and intermissions), especially since they had the extra space available (up to 32K). These are the prototype rom images that we have, but of course they are not finished... missing sprite collison detection, etc.

If these were ever finsihed and released, I'm sure they would have sold like wildfire even if people had the original releases... I know I would have bought them.

Jim

• Like 1

I posted a video of the Adam version on post #17. You can see the differences. The cartridge "Super Game" prototype was the Colecovision version with some cut scenes added. The Adam added the "Crazy Barrels", Elevator Springs, Mario death Scene spin, Conveyor Belt Collision detection, and the screens themselves contain more colors. It's still really quirky.

- Donkey Kong

- Donkey Kong Jr.

- Buck Rogers

- SubRoc

- Dam Busters

- B.C.'s Quest for Tires

- Zaxxon

Hope this helps.

Jim

More colors? I don't think I noticed that before. I'll have to look now.

Tempest

Yeah. I am kind of talking out of my butt on this, because I haven't studied the CV or Adam too in-depth, but I believe the Adam had some kind of overlay mode or something like that. I think it's the same concept they were considering with the Super Game Module. Maybe somebody else can comment. I know the floors of the Rivet screen are a good example.