IGNORED

ColecoVision ADAM controller enhanced

patbb

Anyone uses this type of modify controller?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3704068526191?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370406852619&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Description of the item:

"Breath new life into your ColecoVision games with this specially modified ADAM controller (works with regular ColecoVision, too!) which has been enhanced by adding a standard Atari 2600 controller port to it. This port enables the use of any Atari 2600 compatible controller including Sega Genesis controllers for the ultimate in precision control. The original ColecoVision controller and keypad remain fully functional for maximum compatibility. This is perfect for games like Miner 2049er which require precision control and keypad functionality at the same time. The difference in gameplay when using a high quality controller like the pictured Sega Genesis gamepad over the stock controller will blow your mind. It's like playing a whole new game. It's a dream come true! (please note that working with standard 2600 controllers means that only one button is supported)."

post-25394-128213534601_thumb.jpg

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3704068526191?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370406852619&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Description of the item:

"Breath new life into your ColecoVision games with this specially modified ADAM controller (works with regular ColecoVision, too!) which has been enhanced by adding a standard Atari 2600 controller port to it. This port enables the use of any Atari 2600 compatible controller including Sega Genesis controllers for the ultimate in precision control. The original ColecoVision controller and keypad remain fully functional for maximum compatibility. This is perfect for games like Miner 2049er which require precision control and keypad functionality at the same time. The difference in gameplay when using a high quality controller like the pictured Sega Genesis gamepad over the stock controller will blow your mind. It's like playing a whole new game. It's a dream come true! (please note that working with standard 2600 controllers means that only one button is supported)."

$59.95 for drilling a hole in the bottom of a controller and soldering the wires from a computer cable to a controller board is laughable.

That thing is an ugly and hacky in my opinion. The guy is ruining ColecoVision and Adam controllers. If a person feels the need to use another controller for the ColecoVision, get a y adapter cable.

Here is a Y adapter link on Atari2600.com only $3.95 and your not ruining controllers. I have done business with this guy and he is great in my book.

https://www.atari2600.com/item--Joystick-Y-Adapter-Cable--PROD1556.html

I certainly wouldn't pay that much for it. As you said, you can accomplish the same thing the "Y" Adadpter on Atari2600.com, a Genesis (or other) controller and a regular Coleco controller.

I've been menaing to get one of those Y Adapters.

Description of the item:

$59.95 for drilling a hole in the bottom of a controller and soldering the wires from a computer cable to a controller board is laughable.

That thing is an ugly and hacky in my opinion. The guy is ruining ColecoVision and Adam controllers. If a person feels the need to use another controller for the ColecoVision, get a y adapter cable.

Here is a Y adapter link on Atari2600.com only $3.95 and your not ruining controllers. I have done business with this guy and he is great in my book.

I have seen that but did not order thinking it was the opposite of what I wanted, the description: ATA26ACC0011 - Joystick ’Y’ Adapter Cable

Joystick ’Y’ Adapter Cable, 9 pin male/female ends, Compex Co., New. Permits one joystick to be connected to two jacks where normally two joysticks are required.

Price: $3.95

Should it not be described as connecting TWO joysticks to ONE jack? Allowing the use of the Colecovision controller and another gamepad simultaneously?

From what I can see it LOOKS like it does what I want, is the description incorrect? :?

I have seen that but did not order thinking it was the opposite of what I wanted, the description: ATA26ACC0011 - Joystick ’Y’ Adapter Cable

Joystick ’Y’ Adapter Cable, 9 pin male/female ends, Compex Co., New. Permits one joystick to be connected to two jacks where normally two joysticks are required.

Should it not be described as connecting TWO joysticks to ONE jack? Allowing the use of the Colecovision controller and another gamepad simultaneously?

From what I can see it LOOKS like it does what I want, is the description incorrect? :?

I think the description is wrong. The picture looks like one male and 2 female connectors. If you ask the site owner I am sure he would tell you. If I gave a link to a wrong item, I apologize.

I emailed them and asked this very question because the description sounds backward from what you want...but the picture of it looks like you can hook up two sticks to one port...they confirmed this. The dual ends are female and the single end is male.

I think the description is wrong. The picture looks like one male and 2 female connectors. If you ask the site owner I am sure he would tell you. If I gave a link to a wrong item, I apologize.

You want the one I posted the link for. A member verified that the wording was wrong and it has 2 females to plug controllers into and one male to plug into the CV port.

Well I hope so lol!

I just now bought two! It will be nice using my Sega Genesis Gamepad on my Colecovision and this seemed the easiest/cheapest way! :D

I haven't had a good look at the products in question (although the picture for the $3.95 one looks good to me), but some of the posts have conflicting information. Just to be clear...

The ColecoVision console has male connectors. The joysticks have female connectors. Presumably, therefore, you'll want a Y connector that has one female connector (to plug into the CV) and has two male connectors (to plug two joysticks into).

I haven't had a good look at the products in question (although the picture for the $3.95 one looks good to me), but some of the posts have conflicting information. Just to be clear...

The ColecoVision console has male connectors. The joysticks have female connectors. Presumably, therefore, you'll want a Y connector that has one female connector (to plug into the CV) and has two male connectors (to plug two joysticks into).

You got yourself confused. The CV has female jacks for the controller ports. The 2600, Genesis and ColecoVision controllers all have male plugs on the end of the cords. If a person wants to connect a Genesis or 2600 controller along with a CV controller so that they can use the keypad they need a Y Adapter cable that has a 1 male and 2 females.

I am guessing you where thinking since the CV console jack has pins inside it that it was male, that is not the case.

You got yourself confused. The CV has female jacks for the controller ports. The 2600, Genesis and ColecoVision controllers all have male plugs on the end of the cords. If a person wants to connect a Genesis or 2600 controller along with a CV controller so that they can use the keypad they need a Y Adapter cable that has a 1 male and 2 females.

I am guessing you where thinking since the CV console jack has pins inside it that it was male, that is not the case.

I know the difference between male and female. :)

pins=male

sockets=female

The Birds and the Bees (Wikipedia)

The auction in the OP is mine.

Sorry to break it to you but most 2600 y-cables aren't going to work right. Some do, but most don't, depending on how they're built. That's why I did the mod. I can't find the type that work right.

Considering that un-enhanced controllers go for the same price on eBay, I think I set my price appropriately.

As far as "ruining" Adam controllers, those POS controllers were ruined the day they came off the assembly line. S'why there's a demand for alternate controls. My mod doesn't alter the functionality of the original controller in any way. It simply adds the option of plugging in a superior controller.

Edited by djpubba

Yeah, I built something like this myself. Instead of a wire dangling from the end, I set a 9-pin port just below the stubby joystick. That way the controller works like it did before, but a better gamepad can easily be connected.

Picked one of these up. Was disappointed to find out it doesn't work with Sega Genesis controllers. The Sega Six Button pad is my all time fav so I was really hoping it would work.

The Sega Six works on my modded Adam controller but only one button works. On the bright side, I may be able to get button #2 working by looking at how they did it on the Champ Adapter. Fingers crossed.