IGNORED

Interested in doing a FB2 cart mod

Hi, everyone. New AtariAge member here.

I've recently been on a classic video game console binge and picked up some classics, including an Atari 2600 and an Atari Flashback 2.

I've seen the various tutorials on adding the cart slot to the FB2, so I'm going to undertake it (I snagged the FB2 for next to nothing, so I figure I'll see what I can do). My problem is finding a source for a cart slot and guide. I don't want to cannibalize my working 2600 console, and Best Electronics has all sorts of minimum order amounts before they'll deal with you.

Anyone have an idea of where I might find the cart slot and guide? I looked at MyAtari.com, but it appears to be out of stock. In the meantime, I have a craigslist post advertising that I want to acquire broken consoles.

Any other ideas on how to go about acquiring a cart port or other advice regarding the mod will be most welcome.

Thanks!

-- Pete

(Edited for spelling and grammar. -- P)

Edited by nightglider1

You might want to consider modding your FB2 with a harmony cart instead....

Hack:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/157774-flashback2-harmony-mod/

Harmony:

http://harmony.atariage.com/

Ooh, I LIKE that. I may have to save my pennies for a Harmony cart.

There is a place that sells the pieces. I forget the name but I ofund them through the FB2 hack guide over at the Atari Museum.

The two listed on that guide are Myatari.com and Best Electronics.

Myatari.com no longer sells them, and Best has all sorts of minimum orders (one for Paypal, a different one for CC, and even one for check/money order purchases). I only need the cart slot and guide, so I don't meet any of them.

If you manage to do the hack nightglider1 I can guarantee you'll get lots of requests from folks to hack theirs as well.

Well, I feel confident in my abilities to do the electronics. As far as the cosmetics, we'll just have to see what happens. I suspect it may involve a fair amount of bondo and paint. :D

I see that in the Harmony mod thread that a standard 24-pin edge connector is used. If it came down to me having to use one for the FB2 mod, does anyone know how I would "activate" the door on the cartridge? I figured that the cartridge guide would take care of that if I could get the actual part, but obviously if I can't get the part, I need an alternative.

Thanks!

-- Pete

My FB2 ebay purchase arrived today. I may open it up and do the switch installation and solder the ribbon cable to the board while figuring out what I'm gonna do about a cart slot.

Ben Heckendorn suggested a 24-pin edge connector. I would just need to figure out how to activate the "door" on the cart. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

I found a guy about 60 miles away who has, in his words, "a giant box o' Atari 2600 stuff" that I can have if I drive to pick it up. Looks like I'll be starting the cart mod sooner than I thought!

The giant box included a light sixer (donor claimed that the power switch was the only problem), seven joysticks (three OEM and four third-party), a set of paddles, an OEM power pack, about 50 carts (some dupes), and a stack of instruction manuals. Due to the fact that the L6 has slanted pins on the cart connector (which can cause grief in constructing the mod), I've arranged to buy a 4-switch connector assembly. As soon as it arrives I'll start tackling the cart mod. I'm also going to get my hands on a power switch and see about repairing the console.

• 11 months later...