IGNORED

Expansion Modules #1 and #2

Curt Vendel

Thats up to the developers to announce on their own, so far we know of Dungeon! I know of two others but again, not up to me to announce, then there should be the Pokey Enhanced version of Arcade Pac Man which will work for it, so that's 4 games, I'm sure someone will be doing the same to all of the other "Pac" games as well. Hopefully we will all see Donkey Konkey with its audio updated too...

Curt

My loaded question:

What games will there be for the Expansion Module when it launches? I'm highly supportive of this unit though I will hold off paying until I know there's a game or two that's completed and ready to go.

#2 for me too.

Curt, I think given the volumes you are likely to get, you should choose just 1 option and release that ;)

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I think you may need to lift the price a little. By doing some basic math, you would only need 200 orders at $125 to make this possible. For this type of product I don't think $125 is really that much and 200 is probably a more realistic target.

#2 for me too.

Curt, I think given the volumes you are likely to get, you should choose just 1 option and release that ;)

Maybe, but his margins might be better on the first option. I was under the impression he was going to release another batch of his high-score carts, anyways. This would enable him to scare away two crows with one stone and be a much nicer form-factor.

Maybe a minimum $25-35 or equivalent down, but allow people to pay the full price up front, as well, would help. ;)

#2 for me too.

Maybe, but his margins might be better on the first option. I was under the impression he was going to release another batch of his high-score carts, anyways. This would enable him to scare away two crows with one stone and be a much nicer form-factor.

Maybe a minimum $25-35 or equivalent down, but allow people to pay the full price up front, as well, would help. ;)

Depends on whether there are extra tooling costs for 2 options...

#2 for me too.

They both use the same plastic shell. If he can sell more of the plastic because he has two options then he should have both options available. I'm betting that due to the upfront costs involved the plastic shell is the most expensive part in all of this. Otherwise I agree completely.

Thats up to the developers to announce on their own, so far we know of Dungeon! I know of two others but again, not up to me to announce, then there should be the Pokey Enhanced version of Arcade Pac Man which will work for it, so that's 4 games, I'm sure someone will be doing the same to all of the other "Pac" games as well. Hopefully we will all see Donkey Konkey with its audio updated too...

It's up to the BeeMan, but if that Dungeon Game is released at the same time, I'm sold.

I will be purchasing one of option #2.

Regarding option #1, the HSC expander, I'm curious as to if it would be cheaper to simply re-release it in cart format like in the past, or is putting it in the larger expansion module casing going to be more cost-effective in the long run?

The idea was to be able to make more plastics and in the end offset the tooling costs faster, plus I thought people those who may not have an interest in the full blown option and wouldn't want to buy expansion games would want the opportunity to buy a high score only module and just be able to continue using all of their existing games, have the HSC feature and also now ALL game carts would fit because the physical cart port issue would be resolved at long last.

I will be purchasing one of option #2.

Regarding option #1, the HSC expander, I'm curious as to if it would be cheaper to simply re-release it in cart format like in the past, or is putting it in the larger expansion module casing going to be more cost-effective in the long run?

The idea was to be able to make more plastics and in the end offset the tooling costs faster, plus I thought people those who may not have an interest in the full blown option and wouldn't want to buy expansion games would want the opportunity to buy a high score only module and just be able to continue using all of their existing games, have the HSC feature and also now ALL game carts would fit because the physical cart port issue would be resolved at long last.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. :)

Okay, I can get the logic behind #1. It certain looks better than a simple pass-thru cart and more safe. Although, calling the "Expansion Module" doesn't seem right to me. You might as well call it the "High Score Module".

I'd have to agree. It doesn't really expand anything. It just gives HSC support and allows all cart form factors to work on the 7800. It's not even expandable to option number 2.

I'm not really that hardware saavy, so don't kill me if this sounds stupid - but would it be possible to make something like Pac-Man collection Pokey Edition be built-into the unit, like Asteroids is built into the European 7800 model's BIOS? That way, people get a game with it, but don't need to buy a separate cart?

I think that might have more added value than putting in that Yamaha sound chip that might never get used.

28 units on a random Thursday isn't bad at all, really. It isn't the weekend, yet. Create a pre-order page and get Albert to place a notice on the front page and you will surely draw more in.

Perceived value is one of those iffy things. A pack-in never hurts for public perception, but if I were a developer, I might prefer possible added functionality.

Edited by AtariNerd