IGNORED

Expansion Modules #1 and #2

Curt Vendel

So wil the expansion module be a new cover for the 7800 that you would remove the old top cover and install this new one? Also iwht the yamaha sound card, when would that be used or how? Like can it be programmed in games? Is it better than the pokey chip thingers? Regardless I will buy #2 anyways.

It plugs into and draws power from the 7800 cartridge slot, laying fairly flush along the top of the 7800, no modding required. Look for the thread "7800 Piggyback Expansion Module Comes to Life!" and click the paperclip to the left of the topic, this should quickly bring up all of the attachements, images posted in that thread, including some early, untextured mock-ups from the fab.

Edited by AtariNerd

So wil the expansion module be a new cover for the 7800 that you would remove the old top cover and install this new one? Also iwht the yamaha sound card, when would that be used or how? Like can it be programmed in games? Is it better than the pokey chip thingers? Regardless I will buy #2 anyways.

The Pokey does more than just better sound than the TIA chip, it allow at least the use of a keyboard. The Yamaha sound chip is found in a lot of 80's arcade games but never in any home console.

The Master System and Megadrive both had Yamaha sound chips. Alot of computers did too like the Spectrum, ST, Amstrad CPC and MSX.

Depends which Yamaha chip you are actually talking about ;)

The one that's in the expansion module is a YM2151, which was used in loads of arcade games and provides 8 channels of FM goodness. :)

Hi all...

Okay the Pre-Order page will be up on Friday, I'm going to setup two options:

#1 - 50% deposit ($99.99 total cost) - $49.99 to reserve a full Expansion Unit, Professionally boxed in same original 1980's silver Atari peripheral products.

#2 - Full payment ($89.99) which includes a $10 discount for full pre-payment in advance. Same Boxing and manual and such as above.

There will be stipulation checkmarks on the order page - that you understand it is a pre-order, that there is a 2 month wait for delivery and so forth, just so everyone understands and there is not confusion or misunderstanding.

I will post a new thread on Friday with the link to the Pre-order page, so I am hopeful, given all of the responses in the thread that all those who said they will go for #2 will follow through with an actual order placement so that the tooling costs can be covered and things can begin immediately, thanks.

Curt

3 Dev's are working on games so far, they will make their own announcements...

Thanks for the updates, Curt. Any news on if games will be available at launch?

So this unit will have the YM2151 sound chip? I dug around and found this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/256byteram#p/u/38/itcHj46oaK4

wow - Cannot wait to hear what the developers can do with the sound chip alone. Personally hoping that someone builds a sequencer type of program so you can sit and make 8 channel music on your 7800 and play with ADSR etc

All this and a pro box as well? I was expecting to have this unit turn up in a plain box.

Now all we need is Ron Hubbard to create a track for a new game and life will be perfect!

All i's must be dotted and t's crossed - it's a bit of a complicated and convuluted path, but Curt is sort of in a position as representing a public face to Atari, so I'm sure he wants to make sure all is well before an item with an Atari logo on it is released. Because of this association, it's a bit more than a fan project, not quite a corporate roll-out, but in a sense one might consider it an official Atari peripheral, and as such one that will enduce all of the legalize, patenting, tech support head-aches one might expect. ;)