IGNORED

CTIUG fair in November....

marc.hull

I sent a message to Hal suggesting that reserving the room across the hall from the Faire room, as has been done occasionally in the past, would be beneficial. I also expressed some concerns with the one-room format. Whether or not Hal can/will make a change is unknown; for all I know he reserved both rooms. But with this short time left, it seemed best to inquire ;)

Well, I just booked my hotel room. :-) For those of you who have the cash, the Hilton Orrington is directly across the street from the library, but costs $189 a night. That's a little rich for me, so I booked at the Best Western University Plaza which is about 3 blocks south of the library and easily walkable in about 5 minutes. The rooms are $72 a night (I booked with Expedia.) You can get two doubles or a single king for that rate. Here is a Google Map of the location. You can see the library just up the street.

I hope to see *everyone* at the faire!! ;-)

Matthew

• Like 1

I sent a message to Hal suggesting that reserving the room across the hall from the Faire room, as has been done occasionally in the past, would be beneficial. I also expressed some concerns with the one-room format. Whether or not Hal can/will make a change is unknown; for all I know he reserved both rooms. But with this short time left, it seemed best to inquire ;)

Received word back from Hal - sounds as if the one room is it. I suggested trying to dim only a portion of the room so people can see/move about though I haven't heard back as to whether or not it is possible. Anyway, if anyone else has any suggestions or thoughts on the matter, you still have a few weeks.

With only 1 room, my suggestions would be:

1. Limit the number of presentations

2. Limit the max time for each presentation (15 or 20 minutes is way more than enough IMO)

3. Make a list of presentations ahead of time and post it

4. Schedule the presentations at specific times and *not* back-to-back

5. Have a good hour or two break right in the middle

Last year was particularly bad because the lights were dimmed and presentations went for like 3 hours straight, then we had to leave. That and people were asked to present on-the-spot.

Actually, having a prepared agenda would be nice, something posted ahead of time so everyone knows when and what is going on, presenters can get ready, and awards can be prepared and properly acknowledged. Bios of people giving and receiving awards would also be nice, since all the old-timers expect everyone to know the who's-who of TI lore.

Most of this stuff is pretty simple, but can make the difference between a good event and confusion.

My two cents.

Matthew

There actually was an agenda of sorts last year. it's not right to put all the blame on Hal there, because the PLAN was for a full day - the library cut that plan in half and he didn't want to tell people they couldn't present. I think that's reasonable given some people travelled just to present. I was frustrated, too, but credit where credit's due. ;)

Absolutely! I'm not discrediting Hal or the work he does. If not for him, this Faire would not exist. I'm simply commenting on the experience from my perspective, and both times I have gone it seemed very free format and people just wondering around. InsaneMultitasker asked for suggestions, so those would be mine based on what happened last year. If we are stuck with only 1 room, then somehow we have to make that work for the presentations and the convention part.

Matthew

Sweet! Hey, bring some of that DS stuff that you were talking about last year (if you can)!

You could give a presentation of doing a debug session with Classic99 and how all the debug features are meant to be used. I find that kind of demonstration the most useful and I always take something away from it. Just something to think about.

Matthew

Awe, come on, you can come! It would be great to have a bunch of 1st time people attend. Owen and Tursi are going to be there, InsaneMultitaser, Retroclouds and Sometimes99er all the way from Europe! Mark and Marc, Vorticon, and more! This is going to kick ass!

Depending on from which direction you would be driving, I'd be willing to car pool two more people (I have the back seat of the Buick available.) A friend of mine, who is tagging along, does a cross country 15-car convoy road trip to PAX every year. So we should be able to do such a thing to Chicago. I'm planning on leaving between 6am and 7am Sat morning and I'm staying Sat. night in a hotel, heading back sometime Sun.

I'm at zipcode 49068 if you want to kick it around.

Matthew

Nov 6th (Sat) is the actual *event* at the Evanston library, however Hal puts together a social get together for anyone who comes in Friday evening, and also on Sunday morning. I have never arrived Friday or stayed the night on Saturday, so this will be my first year participating in the Saturday night bar-hopping and Sunday morning hang-over social. ;)

Edit: It takes about 3.5 hours drive from where I live to the library.

Edit2: I was kidding about Retroclouds and Sometimes99er attending from Europe, I was just trying to get the riled up, but since you seem to be seriously considering, I'll spoil the fun now... There are a few people who come from Europe though!

Matthew

Edited by matthew180

Nov 6th (Sat) is the actual *event* at the Evanston library, however Hal puts together a social get together for anyone who comes in Friday evening, and also on Sunday morning. I have never arrived Friday or stayed the night on Saturday, so this will be my first year participating in the Saturday night bar-hopping and Sunday morning hang-over social. ;)

Edit: It takes about 3.5 hours drive from where I live to the library.

Edit2: I was kidding about Retroclouds and Sometimes99er attending from Europe, I was just trying to get the riled up, but since you seem to be seriously considering, I'll spoil the fun now... There are a few people who come from Europe though!

Matthew

Yeah, it's really too bad I can't be there. Do hope I'll be able to make in one of the next years.

Would be a perfect reason to finally visit the USA and combine with city trips, etc. :D

• 4 years later...

Time to resurrect this thread.

This will be my first visit in 12 years. The 2002 Faire was very exciting for me because of the release of the Geneve Boot Eprom v1.00 and MDOS v6.50.

This year should be just as exciting with these 10 new cartridges. Plenty of good new stuff!

I hope to see some old friends once again and be able to put faces with names of new friends. :)

So who's going?

Gazoo

May I make a suggestion that might benefit those of use who cannot attend, and hopefully do not have to work during the presentations?

I'm not sure which program you would use, but if there was a way to set up a web camera or a conference call type of arrangement, maybe some of us could 'virtually attend'. If we knew the program to download ahead of time or possibly even the connection link, we could be ready to partially partake of the festivities. Just an idea FWIW.

May I make a suggestion that might benefit those of use who cannot attend, and hopefully do not have to work during the presentations?

I'm not sure which program you would use, but if there was a way to set up a web camera or a conference call type of arrangement, maybe some of us could 'virtually attend'. If we knew the program to download ahead of time or possibly even the connection link, we could be ready to partially partake of the festivities. Just an idea FWIW.

Where've you been! The Faires have been on Ustream for a long time. Granted, there always seem to be glitches, but we're on the web live. I believe interactive connections have been up, as well—I don't know how successful they've been, though.

...lee

I'll be there with a few cartridges. :) I'm trying to find a source for cases at the moment.

...lee

How many do you need? I've got a few extras, but they don't have the middle screw hole, just that silly latch. But there's always superglue...

Gazoo

How many do you need? I've got a few extras, but they don't have the middle screw hole, just that silly latch. But there's always superglue...

Gazoo

Thanks, Tony. I'm looking for a total of 10 or 11. I think I have most of them covered as of a few minutes ago. I'll let you know tomorrow. How much per?

...lee

I am still waffling on whether I will be able to attend or not. I really want to as I have had a good time every year, and it is always nice to put faces to names. And especially considering I am hoping to have a demonstration of my own this year.