IGNORED

Seriously, DON'T go to atari7800.com

4Ks

It's not the language that bothers me in general, if it's considered a fan-site, but the idea that it IS atari7800.com, and might be construed in some way as an official corporate identity that bothers me a little. When seen through that prism, I'd think I'd try for a little more decorum. Plus, that shifty back-ground bothers my eyes while I try to navigate through the site. ;) See that they have a link to a FaceBook page and they seem to do a good job on keeping pretty up to date on various news revolving around the console.

Edited by AtariNerd
  • Like 2

Wow, y'all need a sense of humor. Sure, it's a tasteless attempt at edgy marketing, but so what? The real offensive thing about atari7800.com is just the site layout, ugh. Unnavigable.

Also, if atari7800.com really bothers you, consider the Streisand Effect, or Treehouse of Horror VI.

As for leeching the roms from Atariage, a simple referer check should fix that.

• Like 2

Perhaps i can call you Ms Purple, Milli

As for the subject at hand, perhaps it was a bit OTT (over the top), if you tone it down a smidgen Mr Joe, people might appreciate the effort more or perhaps people are taking the 'playful wording' out of context in which it was intended (there again, perhaps not being an american i'm not quite following the humour or banter that was intended, if that was the intention)

but there again, what the phuck do i know

• Like 1

Thanks for the warning. I'm not even going to check it out.

Looks like it's been replaced with a nice Christopher Hitchens Free Speech lecture :lol:

Joe, I love you, but I'm not sure what it really has to do with free speech. I think the OP just had a caveat; don't go there if you don't want to see the f-bomb. He didn't say it should be taken down. Free speech is your right to say it (though there are limitations; i.e. I am in Albert's house right now, so I don't want to disrespect him) it doesn't mean anyone will like it. But, if it is your domain, it's your rules and you can f-bomb away. Morgan

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty funny when I first saw it a few weeks ago.

But, consider this:

There have been discussions both here on AtariAge and ClassicArcadeGaming.com regarding passing the hobby of classic arcade/console gaming onto the generations to come.

When I started playing video games I was 5 and now my son is 8 and has been playing both classic and modern games for several years. One of the historical resources is the Internet and if I were to have him look over my shoulder while going to this site I certainly would not have been laughing then.

Incidentally, my 6 year old daughter (who loves playing Mr. Do!, Ms. Pac-Man and Jr. Pac-Man) has more of an interest than my son in helping me with restoring arcade cabinets and swabbing 2600 carts.

So in that regard, Atari7800.com certainly would not be a site I could use as a resource in educating children about the hobby. But, then again, maybe the site is not about educating anyway...

Edited by rmaerz

So in that regard, Atari7800.com certainly would not be a site I could use as a resource in educating children about the hobby.

That's a good point. But-- not to sound critical-- there are probably lots of posts in the AtariAge forums that I'd be hesitant to let young children read, because of either the adult language or adult topics. Maybe we should all be more introspective about what we post and how we say it. Instead of "What would Jesus do?" |:) it would be "Would I feel totally comfortable letting my 6-year-old daughter read this?" :ponder: (Not that I have one, but thinking in terms of "my [hypothetical] 6-year-old daughter" puts it on a much more personal level for the poster than "someone else's 6-year-old daughter.")

Michael

So in that regard, Atari7800.com certainly would not be a site I could use as a resource in educating children about the hobby.

That's a good point. But-- not to sound critical-- there are probably lots of posts in the AtariAge forums that I'd be hesitant to let young children read, because of either the adult language or adult topics.

Yes, but there is other content on AtariAge than just the forums. My son has an account on here but he doesn't have the password. It was just setup for him so I could enter his scores for the Arcade/MAME HSC.

• Like 1

*grin* at the current events.

I personally had gotten a little chuckle out of the banner and believe I understood the manner of intent, but know also that many people are more easily offended. When trying to place myself in others shoes and find a balance, I tend to try to moderate myself and tip toward caution. I tend to be rather timid in real-life, so that reflects upon my personal choices. Yet, I'm a bit of a silly Aspie, so I'll often take mad plunges into either the zany, inane, or outright loony aspects of life, on occasion.

• Like 2

I have no problem with people using 4-letter words and being totally disgusting in the off-topic forums here at AtariAge, but the rest of the forums should be as kid-friendly as possible. And it's nice that the rest of the site is kid-friendly too. Anyone can come to AtariAge and look up info without getting figuratively kicked in the teeth.

Just glancing at atari7800.com, I have two problems with it so far. The first problem is this:

"Atari 7800.com is an experiment in design best viewed in Safari"

Who cares if it's an experiment? A web site should work correctly and look pretty much the same using Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Google Chrome or whatever the top browsers of the day are.

The second problem I have with it is text on top of a background image that makes it hard to read:

http://www.getdevious.com/atari/site.htm

Here's an example from that page:

post-13-128252740713_thumb.png

I have a page that talks about this problem:

http://www.randomterrain.com/web-design-readability-and-backgrounds.html

Scroll down to the section called Busy Backgrounds. You can use the craziest background you can think of while allowing people to read your text without making their eyes bleed.

Yes, I know, you sigh and wonder why most people can't see things in the wonderfully creative way that only you can, but if your creativity makes it hard for people to use your web site, what good is it?

There's no law that says you need to have a hard to read, hard to use, slow loading web site to express yourself. Why not do your best to make your web site as fast and as user friendly as possible while blending your artistic vision with it to make the best experience possible for your visitors?

• Like 6

There's no law that says you need to have a hard to read, hard to use, slow loading web site to express yourself. Why not do your best to make your web site as fast and as user friendly as possible while blending your artistic vision with it to make the best experience possible for your visitors?

What happened to the good ol' days when there was a slate background, black text, blue hyperlinks and embedded pictures?

• Like 2

I personally didn't get the reference when I saw the F bomb. I didn't mind it much. Kind of out of context though. I don't usually think profanity and Pole Position II go together. Regardless, George Carlin is attributed as saying "I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

My company tried requiring flash on their front page and got plenty of complaints. Especially when it crashed peoples web browser. Flash websites just aren't a great idea.

• Like 2

What happened to the good ol' days when there was a slate background, black text, blue hyperlinks and embedded pictures?

I just found the improved version of this website:

http://www.atari7800.org/

I like that site way better, Roland.

And Mili, I thought you liked Atari7800.com. This was how you described it, wasn't it?

Combining a masterful blend of form and function, Atari 7800 (dot.com)'s higly-polished new website saturates the screen, potent with vivid imagery, well-written articles, and an approach to Atari history that encompasses a take-no-prisoners Christopher Hitchens-esq mix of vulgarity and abrasive honesty that cuts to the core.

And Mili, I thought you liked Atari7800.com. This was how you described it, wasn't it?

Combining a masterful blend of form and function, Atari 7800 (dot.com)'s higly-polished new website saturates the screen, potent with vivid imagery, well-written articles, and an approach to Atari history that encompasses a take-no-prisoners Christopher Hitchens-esq mix of vulgarity and abrasive honesty that cuts to the core.

I was a publicist. A publicist says what she has to, to get the job done.

And well look at what it says, It does have vivid imagery doesn't it? Also has well-written articles. If you deny this then you might want to refer to the fact that, as it was pointed out, most of the info was taken from this site.

As the video on the site now points out, Christopher Hitchens believed in free speech. And the Big F-U gives that focus and nice touch.

And I don't dislike what the site says. I dislike the site designer. That stupid flash makes it impossible to run on most servers. Also, the design makes it hard to see any of the info given. I pulled out before word really got out about the site. Its an embarrassment.

Also, you shouldn't be attacking me Brandon. You might want to take focus to the other people who still support the site.

• Like 2

I was a publicist. A publicist says what she has to, to get the job done.

And well look at what it says, It does have vivid imagery doesn't it? Also has well-written articles. If you deny this then you might want to refer to the fact that, as it was pointed out, most of the info was taken from this site.

As the video on the site now points out, Christopher Hitchens believed in free speech. And the Big F-U gives that focus and nice touch.

And I don't dislike what the site says. I dislike the site designer. That stupid flash makes it impossible to run on most servers. Also, the design makes it hard to see any of the info given. Its an embarrassment.

Also, you shouldn't be attacking me Brandon. You might want to take focus to the other people who still support the site.