IGNORED

My projects

Well since I just finished up (finger crossed for no further bugs) Pitfall 2 for Pixelboy I figured I would make a topic for my two projects since I can devote all my spare time to them now. The first is the raycaster game I've been working on (titled Gestalt), I haven't updated the video yet so I won't bother linking to the old one. The second is a side-scrolling action/adventure game titled Radiant: I Will Murder Your God which I put a very early video up of the first screen just to show some basic interaction-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x51y_83pjI

Anyway the programming isn't time-consuming, but designing is taking much longer than I anticipated. I hope to have one of them out by the end of the year with the other shortly following. I'll post up new vids as I hit milestones for anyone who is interested.

• Like 1

Well since I just finished up (finger crossed for no further bugs) Pitfall 2 for Pixelboy I figured I would make a topic for my two projects since I can devote all my spare time to them now. The first is the raycaster game I've been working on (titled Gestalt), I haven't updated the video yet so I won't bother linking to the old one. The second is a side-scrolling action/adventure game titled Radiant: I Will Murder Your God which I put a very early video up of the first screen just to show some basic interaction-

Anyway the programming isn't time-consuming, but designing is taking much longer than I anticipated. I hope to have one of them out by the end of the year with the other shortly following. I'll post up new vids as I hit milestones for anyone who is interested.

Exciting news, looking forward to all three of these games!icon_thumbsup.gif

God of war on Colecovision!!!

I looking foward for that one. It looks very promising!

So PitFall 2 arrives soon? :)

Haha, thanks. Yeah I'm excited about Pitfall 2, I put a lot of work into it although I think it would have been easier and less time consuming to just code the game from scratch, hah. I'm very proud of the results though and very thankful Luc gave me the opportunity and motivation to do the game.

Couple questions for the programmers out there- How do you guys generally handle AI routines for enemies? I'm thinking of setting up simple X1 and X2 boundaries for each enemy and then just having them run back and forth until the player is on the same X, at which point they attempt to attack the player. I'd really like to implement some rudimentary pathfinding though so they can move around and chase the player, but I can't think of any simple way to do it that doesn't require a ton of code.

Also, the 5th sprite thing, do you guys just check every NMI for the 5th sprite flag and then figure out which sprites are on the same X by comparing all the X coordinates of sprites on screen, or is there a faster way where you don't have to do comparisons for them all? I don't like using the Coleco bios routines because they take way too long and they always destroy all your registers.

Couple questions for the programmers out there- How do you guys generally handle AI routines for enemies? I'm thinking of setting up simple X1 and X2 boundaries for each enemy and then just having them run back and forth until the player is on the same X, at which point they attempt to attack the player. I'd really like to implement some rudimentary pathfinding though so they can move around and chase the player, but I can't think of any simple way to do it that doesn't require a ton of code.

Also, the 5th sprite thing, do you guys just check every NMI for the 5th sprite flag and then figure out which sprites are on the same X by comparing all the X coordinates of sprites on screen, or is there a faster way where you don't have to do comparisons for them all? I don't like using the Coleco bios routines because they take way too long and they always destroy all your registers.

Concerning the AI , you could define some patterns path for your enemies and according to the position of the player you make follow the pattern path to your enemies in one way or other.

Concerning the 5th sprite, i never check the flag. Just depending how my sprites can move , i change before each redraw the order of some sprites (not all).

Couple questions for the programmers out there- How do you guys generally handle AI routines for enemies?

What are the limitations in the enemy movements? What are the obstacles in their path? How many shots does it take to kill them? What choice of actions do they have when they aren't chasing the player?

Concerning the AI , you could define some patterns path for your enemies and according to the position of the player you make follow the pattern path to your enemies in one way or other.

Concerning the 5th sprite, i never check the flag. Just depending how my sprites can move , i change before each redraw the order of some sprites (not all).

Ah that might work, each map could just have a bitmap for paths sprites can take.

On the sprites, I'm retarded, I just remembered the bit flag gives you the number of the fifth sprite, hah. How many sprites can you get on a line before the flickering becomes too much? I haven't experimented yet, but it seems like you could have at least 6 without it being too bad, but then I haven't tried it yet so I'm probably wrong.

On the sprites, I'm retarded, I just remembered the bit flag gives you the number of the fifth sprite, hah. How many sprites can you get on a line before the flickering becomes too much?

I'm working on a sample written in assembly codes that I think will somehow answers this question. I will post a message in a few hours with the results.

I'm working on a sample written in assembly codes that I think will somehow answers this question. I will post a message in a few hours with the results.

Awesome, I've been curious about that for a while since the limit is so severe.

The background art for that new game looks great, especially considering that you're not using a bitmap screen mode.

Thanks! I take a lot of time doing the art to make sure it fits in the 256 tiles. I use the extra VRAM space to decompress nearly everything to so the trade-off is well worth it.