IGNORED

Best USB controller for emulated games?

SlowCoder

I have emulators for multipe game systems. I play them on a laptop, which I often take on trips. I would like to be able to use a controller that is both: compatible with the widest variety of console platforms (enough buttons to support all functions), and is small enough to pack in my laptop case.

I have been using the PS3 controller with Bluetooth without problems, but it's a little bulkier than I'd like for travel.

The rectangular NES controller is ideal size, has the Start and Select buttons, but only has 2 play buttons.

The Sega Genesis controller has 3 (or 6) play buttons, and Start, but no Select. I guess I could configure one of the play buttons as Select for the platforms that require it. I've never seen one of these firsthand, so I don't know how bulky it actually is.

I know I can purchase a USB conversion kit for an existing controller, or purchase a converted controller (e.g. RetroZone), or a 3rd party controller. However, but my real question for those of your who emulate is, what controller to do you prefer?

I was going to say a stock 360 controller, or a madcats version (thy got abetter Dpad) But if you don't like the size of the PS3 pad, that's going to be to big too.

PSX style controllers are about as small of a stock controller as your going to get....though I think Stoneage Gamer has a SNES USB gamepad I have no experience with this one, but I like the SNES pad, and it's got plenty of buttons for most games, and if this third party is as sturdy as the original, you won't break it carrying it around with your computer stuff.

I used to use Sega Saturn style USB controllers, like this one

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1104110983961?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110411098396&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I now use a MadCatz SSF4 Fightpad

http://www.madcatz.com/productinfo.asp?page=347&GSProd=3424&GSCat=130&CategoryImg=PS3_Controllers

It uses a USB based RF receiver, which works perfectly in both Windows and MAC based systems. It's bulky for travelling, but I highly recommend it for pretty much all other emulator usage.

Golden Egg and Akator both have great suggestions. I use the Saturn USB pad for just about everything. Perfect for Atari, NES, Genesis, & Arcade. It's a little unsatisfactory for SNES, as the buttons aren't symmetric. Don't play SNES Smash TV with this one. It's very sturdy, and very responsive. If I had to choose just one controller for the rest of my life, this is it.

For SNES and PSX I pull out the Logitech Dual Action. I like this controller better than any Sony controller. Very well built, and the thick handles make it easier to grip than a PSX controller. Oh, and it has a real D-pad too. The only complaint I have is that the holes through which the analog sticks come out are square. Dunno what was wrong with a circle, even an octagon would have been better. Oh well.

Since you're travelling, you probably just want one. I'd go with the Saturn pad. It's not awful for SNES, just a little awkward on games that use all four face buttons.

We sell a ton of http://stoneagegamer.com/pcmacusbsnescontroller.aspx and I have never had a complaint about them.

Cool to know. I'll have to get me a couple. I love my legacy controller, but it's so bulky.

One question, is the cord detachable, or hardwired? If detachable, what type off connector does it use?

Hardwired.

How about the USB Classic Joystick Controller? I ordered one 8/24 to use with my laptop on my upcoming business trip this Sunday, but it hasn't arrived yet :( :( :(. I'm bringing my Flashback2, so I hope the TV's in the hotel room has hookups.

I hope it works well when it does get here.

Edited by MitchSchaft

How about the USB Classic Joystick Controller? I ordered one 8/24 to use with my laptop on my upcoming business trip this Sunday, but it hasn't arrived yet :( :( :(. I'm bringing my Flashback2, so I hope the TV's in the hotel room has hookups.

I hope it works well when it does get here.

Those are pretty good. I purchased them from Curt a while back and I like them. The controls are responsive and the overall feel is good. They're great for the price, but if you want an authentic CX-40, I'd suggest getting a real CX-40 and a Stelladaptor. Nothing against the USB Classic Controller, but nothing compares to the feel of the real thing. :)

Cool controller! Only problem is I'm emulating Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis and others. That controller would not work for most of those, and is also not compact for travel.

Yep, that's the "legacy" that I mentioned earlier. I got the clear version. It's a nice controller, but as I said, it's very bulky, even with the stick unplugged from the base. I got the clear version, but it's basically the same stick. Perfect for Atari games, though you can mount more buttons on it if you wanted to, it supports up to 12, though it's not exactly "button friendly" if that's a phrase :D :lol: :P

• 2 years later...

Everyone always says "Oh, just use an Xbox controller, they're already USB."

But to me, the 360 controller just doesn't cut it. It may have good buttons and tight analogs, but it has the worst Dpad in the history of Dpads, period. The only time a 360 controller is good is when it's some aftermarket like Nyko or Madcatz, when they swap out that rocker switch for a legit cross Dpad. With the 360, it's way too easy to accidentally hit diagonals. I had a 2 port PSX/PS2 controller adapter for a while, and that was good, but even Sony's Dpad with its separated diamonds hurts to use after a while. Nintendo has had the best Dpad since the original NES, SNES and N64. I wouldn't want to use anything less for classic game emulation. Once I got the Mayflash wireless Classic Controller to USB adapter and got to use the old flatty on my emulators, that was it. I never looked back.

This isn't meant to be "spam." This isn't meant to be a "thread necro."

I'm just letting people know this thing is out there. Mayflash makes some

awesome stuff. HOPEFULLY this gets left up so the other contributors /

watchers of this thread can know that such an option exists.

Honestly, what's better for retro games than a controller that

Nintendo themselves designed specifically for them???

Wireless_CC2USB.jpg

Wireless_CC_2_USB_HID.png

Joy2_Key_Profs.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VjLI3rNkzk

But for those who, for whatever reason, dislike the Classic Controller.

Mayflash is also planning to put these out soon...

http://www.mayflash....USB/PS3003.html

http://www.mayflash....OWiiU/W009.html

You have a choice of using the Wii U Pro or Sony Dual Shock 3,

and each of these adapters can support up to four controllers.

No BT dongle, no MotioninJoy, Glovepie or Bluesoleil required.

Just straight DirectInput (and Xinput) conversion.

(Not that you couldn't get Xinput with x360ce.exe)

http://s14.postimg.o.../xbox360_CE.png

http://s18.postimg.o...ey_Settings.png

Edited by FlatWiiCCFan