IGNORED

Ninerpedia

retroclouds

Hi folks,

for those of you that do not yet know Ninerpedia; it's a wiki about the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A.

Don't expect too much yet. But it does for example already contain a lot of information on using the TI-99/4A with MESS.

I discovered Ninerpedia a while ago and decided to use it as documentation platform for my current projects.

Anyway, adding and maintaining a wiki page is quite easy. Also a wiki really lives from the contributions of the community.

So if you have something TI-99/4A related you are working on, be it hardware, software or anything else.

Then why not add your documentation in a wiki format? It doesn't take much more time as editing a text file.

You'll have to get yourself an ninerpedia account for creating & updating documents.

Reason is that many pages are protected for avoiding spambots overwriting your work.

For me Atariage is the main thing. Here I hang around, and share ideas & hacks with my fellow friends.

But I think we can also use a central documentation place :)

Click here for Ninerpedia.

devres_ninerpedia.png

The problem, historically, with this kind of thing in the TI community is that the site is "owned" by 1 person, and if that person decides to shut down the site then everyone's contributed information is gone. Nothing against 99er.net, but personally I'd like to see a wiki running on a site that is maintained by either an official non-profit TI group, or hosted on a service that is not controlled by a single person. Kind of like the A.A. forum. :-)

Matthew

The problem, historically, with this kind of thing in the TI community is that the site is "owned" by 1 person, and if that person decides to shut down the site then everyone's contributed information is gone. Nothing against 99er.net, but personally I'd like to see a wiki running on a site that is maintained by either an official non-profit TI group, or hosted on a service that is not controlled by a single person. Kind of like the A.A. forum. :-)

Matthew

You're right. I don't like to consider 99er.net to be the be-all-end-all TI info site, since frankly, the site looks like someone's myspace. A lot of it hasn't been updated in years, and the download section is rather bureaucratic.

Matthew

That's a valid point and I guess there's always a certain risk.

There was 1 situation where we had such event in the TI community.

However, there are ways to prevent that.

Ninerpedia is actually a mediawiki. So you do have the possiblity to export pages for importing in another mediawiki.

You can easily do that by going to the toolbox, selecting "Special pages" and select Export pages.

Then you can do stuff like "[[special:Export/MediaWiki:pagename]]" for exporting the page "pagename" in XML format. You can also do that for a list of pages.

It's always good to have a backup, so I'll look into that for my pages ;)

Edited by retroclouds

Ninwerpedia it is not a bad site, and my hat is off to operator on it, it is not easy to maintain a website by your site.

I know, I host lots of websites on my servers, and manage a few myself, and it is alot of work to keep one always updated.

I myself am still working on my own site, http://ti994a.info but it is running behind it getting up,

but once it is, I will be looking to appoint people to help manage it so it stays up to date.

Not sure if this is the place to even ask this... but would it be appropriate to put up some pages for specific pieces of software in my collection? I was thinking some of the old third-party games I have. I wouldn't mind putting up pages for my own stuff, too. But it doesn't seem to have a lot of articles that specific -- does anyone know if that's a conscious thing, or just down to a lack of input from users so far?

99er.net has been around for longer than most of the other TI sites out there, and both Rich and I have access to keep it running and maintain it. It has been ignored a lot for not being actively promoted, but I don't see the fear that it'll disappear. Should Rich decide not to host it any longer he knows there's an open offer to move it to my server. If backups are a concern, we can add a way to download the wiki if it's not already there.

Not sure if this is the place to even ask this... but would it be appropriate to put up some pages for specific pieces of software in my collection? I was thinking some of the old third-party games I have. I wouldn't mind putting up pages for my own stuff, too. But it doesn't seem to have a lot of articles that specific -- does anyone know if that's a conscious thing, or just down to a lack of input from users so far?

Please, go ahead! It's just lack of input so far. :)

99er.net has been around for longer than most of the other TI sites out there, and both Rich and I have access to keep it running and maintain it. It has been ignored a lot for not being actively promoted, but I don't see the fear that it'll disappear. Should Rich decide not to host it any longer he knows there's an open offer to move it to my server. If backups are a concern, we can add a way to download the wiki if it's not already there.

I would recommend giving it a once over & removing all the un-needed bells & whistles on the main page. Look at the thread about Best Electronics. The same opinions can apply also to 99er.net. Also, many of the links to other sites(and some internal) don't work anymore. Sure, that happens with many sites on the interewebs, but it seems to be above average on 99er.

I've visited 99er.net and I am always interested to see what's available online... Mainbyte is an excellent source of info as well, just different. My own site, Opry99er.com, has been neglected a bit as of late, as have my programming projects for the time being... But anything I can do to promote our community, I'd be happy to do!

I would recommend giving it a once over & removing all the un-needed bells & whistles on the main page. Look at the thread about Best Electronics. The same opinions can apply also to 99er.net. Also, many of the links to other sites(and some internal) don't work anymore. Sure, that happens with many sites on the interewebs, but it seems to be above average on 99er.

My involvement does end at "is it up?"... but dropping Rich a note that we're talking about it again with suggestions might be a good idea. I'm still 5 years behind on updating my own page. ;)

But as far as I know Ninerpedia shouldn't need any work, just contributors, yes?

Edited by Tursi