IGNORED

Jaguar HSC Revamped: Round 3 - RAIDEN

Austin

Atari Jaguar High Score Club Revamped ROUND 3: RAIDEN!

Now that this is over, feel free to head over to the new round for some Breakout 2000!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/169280-jaguar-hsc-revamped-round-4-breakout-2000/

Final high scores for RAIDEN:

Austin - 4,737,970 +11pts

The_Laird - 1,830,350 +10pts

Boog - 463,450 +9pts

Kgenthe - 230,600 +8pts

Orpheuswaking - 161,280 +7pts

Gaztee - 98,720 +6pts

Kevincal - 367,440 +1 participation point (Score submitted November 2010)

GKC - 187,630 +1 participation point (Score submitted November 2010)

The Jaguar HSC rankings as of Round 3's end:

1. Austin - 31pts

2. Boog - 23pts

3. The_Laird - 21pts

4. orpheuswaking - 21pts

5. Hyper_Eye - 20pts

6. Kgenthe - 19pts

7. Tyrant - 8pts

8. Lexlothar - 7pts

9. Gaztee - 6pts

All right.. For the third round of the new Jaguar HSC, we have.. RAIDEN! The competition officially starts on Sunday, August 15th, 2010, and the final time to get your scores in will be two weeks from then, on Sunday, September 12th, 2010.

HOW TO PLAY:

Play a game on the 2 credits setting and play until you run out of credits. In this mode, you use one credit to play, so you only have one continue available to you. Submit your score when done.. How many times can you loop the game? :evil:

If you are not familiar with the new Jaguar HSC general rules and how the scoring system works, please visit this thread here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166522-new-jaguar-hsc-rules-updated-7242010/

It is recommended that you take a photo of your score, but it is not required. We go on good faith here, so please be honest.. :)

Some tips to keep in mind before you get started!

- Pick up as many medal icons as you can and use as little amount of bombs as possible. After completing a stage, a score for all of your medals is multiplied by the amount of bombs you have on-hand.. The more medals and bombs you have by the end of each level, the greater bonus you get.

- The Jaguar version of Raiden has an odd firing system compared to the arcade game. No matter how fast you mash the fire button, your shots will only come out at a specific speed (not nearly as fast as you can possibly mash). Don't wear out your thumb by slamming the fire button as quickly as you can--there's no point, it won't do you any good! Learn to figure out the timing between shots, and simply press the fire button at that timing.. This will keep your trigger-finger from wearing out. You're going to need it if you can loop the game two or three times!

- Like the arcade game, the screen scrolls to the left and right. It should be of note that enemies outside your field of view will not shoot at you. This includes enemies sitting behind the status bar on the right.

- The weapons in this version are ridiculously overpowered compared to the original arcade game. This includes the red spread-shot option that was notoriously weak from a distance in the original arcade game. With its added power in the Jaguar version, it's probably wise to be using it at all times, especially as enemy patterns speed up after looping the game once or twice.

- If you are unfamiliar with the game and are looking to simply survive, it can be best to hug the walls on some stages (Stage 3 in particular, as well as the first space stage). With this tactic, you can guarantee most enemies will not be coming out from at least one side of the screen, so there is less action to worry about.

- Max out your weapons as quickly as possible, and don't switch. When you're at full power and you pick up a shot or missile power-up, you will be granted 5,000 points. Stages are littered with power-ups, so these bonus points add up quickly.

- Like the past two Jaguar HSC games, this is one that saves your high scores, convenient for those that may need to snag a photo of their score at a later time. :thumbsup:

For anyone that does not own this game but would like to get involved with this, it is one of the few Jaguar games that is emulated well, so feel free to jump in on this if you do not own a copy of Raiden (or a Jaguar)!

Anyways, let's get this one rolling! Have fun!

Hadn't played Raiden in a LONG time, and only had time for one try this morning... but, I'll get the scores started with my pathetic:

Gaz, your ex liked shmups?? My wife won't play anything but puzzle games, platformers, puzzle games, karaoke/guitar, and puzzle games.

• Like 1

Depending on how long it takes to finish up school work, I might get a score in today. Otherwise this weekend I'll have some serious time to spend on this. I can beat the game in 8 credits, not sure how far I can get with just 2.

UltraLuigi, who I believe posts here, did a one credit video a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICFQIo8pyZM&

Good reference video for tips/tricks!

• Like 1

All right, despite my Jaguar controller now having some rattling parts on the inside (I wonder how that happened? :ponder:), it still works.. After cooling down a bit and doing some things around the house, I went back and gave it another go. I totally blew my last one out of the water, with 4,029,420. I think I could have gotten at least near the 5mil mark, but I pretty much threw away my game at the start of the third loop. :(

post-24675-128326204412_thumb.jpg

Wow... awesome score.

My brother used to play Raiden more than I did and my cart is still filled with his old scores. His best was only around 2 million...

Thank you :)

Speaking of which, I gave it yet another go and I managed to best my old score once more! 4,737,970. Again, I lost earlier than I should have due to stupidity (I didn't bomb on time at the stage 6 boss, died, then lost my continue and all my lives in the next three minutes or so :().. Still, I think this is higher than UltraLuigi's score from last year. :D

You guys seriously have your work cut out for you.. :evil:

:D

post-24675-128327374534_thumb.jpg

I am going to throw out a few tips that I found work best for me:

A. On the Stage 6 boss (The first space stage), one good bomb drop will take it out. You will still have to shoot and aim the bomb so it hits both entities, but if you have enough firepower it will go down before it can do anything. I do this every time because its shot patterns are very annoying, and the asteroids that come from all directions are unpredictable (These don't appear at the boss in the arcade version, so the Jaggy one is more difficult here).

B. Focus on storing your bombs and collecting as many medals as you can in the first and second stages. I think you can get close to 100,000 bonus points if you collect all the medals, don't use any bombs, and clear stage 2 without losing a life (You get so many extra bombs between stages 1 and 2 that you should have in between five and seven).

C. Stay far away from the bosses if you can, and utilize the fact that when they are off-screen, they will not shoot. This is a good tactic for the first boss especially--Focus on destroying the first tank, as he tends to veer near the left side of the screen. If you stay far over enough, the second tank won't be in sight, and therefore he won't be shooting.

D. On every stage in the game except stage 6, you can sit all the way back at the bottom of the screen and not have to worry about anything coming up from behind (that is, unless you miss the variety of green jets from Stage 1 and 2, or the goofier looking ones from Stage 4). On stage six, the massive bombers come up from the left hand side of the screen, so you can still hug the far bottom-right corner without a risk.

E. If it means taking a huge risk and losing your bomb+medal multiplier bonus, try to avoid enemies rather than trying to destroy everything. You will get far more points from the end-of-stage bonus than you will by nailing a few small targets that might destroy you. Again, hug one side of the screen and focus on just getting through the level, unless you are really confident.

F. Likewise, if you die, it's most important to be focusing rebuilding your firepower to at least a few levels high. Again, your best bet at doing this is hugging one side of the screen so half the enemies that come out won't shoot at you. Remember, survival is the most important factor here. No survival = no more points.

G. Again, regarding forcing enemies out of your sight for your benefit (See: Stage 1 boss), this works great on the two tanks halfway through stage 5 (huge PITAs if you ask me). Quickly destroy the first one on the left and then immediately hug the left side of the screen. The next tank on the right will be so far over it's out of sight, therefore not being able to shoot at you (i.e., not a threat).

H. The stage 2 boss has two wings that can be destroyed. Shortly after doing that, it will begin its final two firing patterns. I noticed though that if you destroy one wing and just leave the other one hanging there, it will stay in its first firing pattern (easy to avoid) for much, much longer. Take advantage of this. :)

If I can think of anything else, I'll post it later.